IGNORED

Wico Command Control Joystick Cleaning / Refurb?

Rex Dart

Hi... I've recently gotten several Wico Command sticks for cheap, in various conditions, but all working. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for sprucing up the internals, making them work a little more smoothly or what have you. Thanks!

Hi... I've recently gotten several Wico Command sticks for cheap, in various conditions, but all working. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for sprucing up the internals, making them work a little more smoothly or what have you. Thanks!

Just clean out the Leaf-switches, this can be easily done by taking a clean business card or the like. and put the card between the contacts and lightly hold the contacts together and pull the card out.

Another thing that i've been planning to do is, I've been planning to get better leaf switches. It would be super easy to replace the OEM ones in the device. The leaf-switches in it are good but their not arcade cabinet good. So putting in better switches would just require pulling off the crimps and connecting them to the switches. or simple cut and solder.

Also, Thank you for using a Wico Command Control :thumbsup: ha ha hopefully their mounted:grin: . I'm like the AtariAge Advocate of the Wico Command Control joysticks. :rolling:

Edited by SekOner

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot later.

Since you're Captain Wico, lemme ask... is there any point/use to bending or adjusting the switches' leaves? Could I make the whole stick more responsive by moving them closer to the activator inside, or am I risking breaking something brittle here?

And no, I'm not bothering to mount these, I like 'em as they are. I may swing by the shop later & get that last really worn-down stick they had (rubber feet: gone), though, and mount it.

Another thing that i've been planning to do is, I've been planning to get better leaf switches. It would be super easy to replace the OEM ones in the device. The leaf-switches in it are good but their not arcade cabinet good.

That is funny... and incredibly wrong. They are exactly arcade cabinet good. Wico was the standard for arcade joysticks back in the day. Many, if not most, of the joystick games back in the day were equipped with Wico leaf switch joysticks. All of the internals of your Wico Command Control use the exact same parts as the arcade sticks. I just switched out some leafs in my Command Control a few weeks ago.

The leafs should almost never have to be replaced. They can be cleaned and straightened (if needed), and you will be good to go. The only real "problem" you can have with leafs is if the throw (distance the stick needs to travel to engage the leafs) is not to your liking. This is easily adjusted by bending the leafs in or out to your liking.

The main thing that can go wrong is the grommet. The rubber can degrade or tear. This makes for a very mushy feeling. New grommets can still be had for $8-10 each. I am glad I got my box of 50 when you could still find them for $1 each. Anyhow, most of the Command Controls I have come across didn't need new grommets. These grommets were designed for arcade cabinet use and can hold up to much more wear and tear than the vast majority of Command Controls have gone through over the years. If you do replace it, it is going to be very stiff until you break it in.

All I would do would be to clean and adjust the leafs unless your grommet is busted.

is there any point/use to bending or adjusting the switches' leaves? Could I make the whole stick more responsive by moving them closer to the activator inside, or am I risking breaking something brittle here?

Adjust them if you want a shorter throw. If a leaf breaks, then it was gonna break soon enough anyway. A leaf usually won't get to that point unless it has been adjust many many times or bent back and forth for no reason. Odds are you will be the first person to ever open the joystick so it shouldn't be a problem.