IGNORED

Hello! new jaguar owner

prodigal-son

hey everybody, im a new proud owner of a jaguar and new to the site. I bought 3 games so far and to be honest i hate all of them. Kind of wierd because the games i bought are suposedly good jag games so im kind of disappointed but im not going to let that get me down just yet, if i buy ten and they all suck then forget it im done. Anyway awsome site!

• Like 4

Welcome,

I guess your dissapointment depends on what your expectations were but is you have only just got the system give it and the games a little time, you might find they grow on you.

There are a few pople who really like the Jag games most would consider bad and are less keen on those most would consider good, every one is different so perhaps you are one of those people. I see Austin beat me to my other comment.

Thanks for the welcome.My expectations were kind of high but realistic. I wanted one of these since i was 6 years old an i never played a jaguar until i bought it. The games I bought are Syndicate,Iron soldier and hover strike probably close to the worst 3 games ive ever played lol. I like beat em ups, shooters, action/adventure, sports games, fighting games basically all types except for fantasy rpgs i dont like them.I should probably just stop buying any old jaguar game i can find cheap on ebay.I think the next game i will buy will be aliens vs predator or doom or something lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Welcome to Atariage!

Hmm, what games do you like just as an example?

There are not many (good) beat em ups/fighting games on the Jaguar.

In fact, fighting game fans usually argue there is no decent one, but Ultra Vortek is at least technically alright.

So far there also are no typical action/adventure games, although a very promising new game by the working title of Atari Owl Project is in development. It has a fantasy theme though.

In terms of shooters you need to be more exact in what you like. There are games like AvP, Doom and Wolfenstein3D.

For 2D Shooters there is Raiden, which most people enjoy.

From your statement, including Iron Solider when you said it was among the worst games you ever played, I fear you have too high expectations. Iron Solider is one of the finer games and got very high ratings back in the day, too.

Syndicate of course is not a very good port on the Jaguar and Hoverstrike is also a bit controversal. Personally I don't like it, because the missions feel repetitive, but many people enjoy it, too.

Some games you may want to try (as most people enjoy those games): Tempest 2000 (Arcade, Action), Rayman (Jump 'n Run), Super Burnout (Bike Racing), of course titles like Doom, AvP (don't mistake this for the PC version it's a different game and has an entirely different feeling to it).

Thanks for the welcome.My expectations were kind of high but realistic. I wanted one of these since i was 6 years old an i never played a jaguar until i bought it. The games I bought are Syndicate,Iron soldier and hover strike probably close to the worst 3 games ive ever played lol. I like beat em ups, shooters, action/adventure, sports games, fighting games basically all types except for fantasy rpgs i dont like them.I should probably just stop buying any old jaguar game i can find cheap on ebay.I think the next game i will buy will be aliens vs predator or doom or something lol. Thanks for the help guys!

I have never liked Syndicate and don't know many who do, Hover Strike on cart is good one you get used to the contrrols but not a patch on the CD version and Iron Soldier is a superb game. In fact you are the first person I have ever seen who says its any other than excellent let alone bad.

Best beat 'em ups are Dragon: Bruce Lee Story and Ultra Vortek. Both excellent games in my opinion and very different.

Raiden is an excellent port of the arcade game and the other traditional shooter I highly recommend is Protector: SE which is one of the best games on the machine. To be fair Defender 2000 is also pretty good especially on the original mode.

There are a bunch of 3D shooters but for me Missile Command 3D is a much have, I personally think its the best game on the machine.

The Sports games are mostly pretty average but I really enjoy both NBA Jam: TE and Sensible Soccer which are both the best console versions of the game. Brutal Sports Football is also alot of fun indeed.

• Like 1

Prodigal, I think you'll find games you can enjoy. Syndicate is a toss up and seems to be an acquired taste, so not a good place to start. Iron Soldier is generally regarded as a good game (as is Iron Soldier II), though. Hover Strike comes in two versions: cart and CD. The former is not felt to be very good whereas the latter is. I believe you will enjoy Raiden, Rayman, Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Doom and AVP, the games that Starcat lists. Other games I believe you will like are Protector SE (side scrolling shooter like Defender), Hyperforce, and Total Carnage. For sports games, both soccer games are good (International Sensible Soccer and Fever Pitch Soccer). Power Drive Rally is a good racing game as well.

Hopefully, this helps you out. You can watch videos of the gameplay for these games in YouTube. Just run a search and that will give you a sense of what the games are like. Enjoy!

• Like 1

If I can chime in here I can almost see where he's coming from.

Syndicate is one of those games that I think requires a certain investment in learning before it starts to be really rewarding, and thus is probably not a very good first pick-up-and-play game. Also while I've only played the CD version, I personally don't think that much of hover strike either. It's technically quite good, but the excessive amount of texture mapping doesn't do it any favours since the resolution (of any Jag game) is so low.

Iron Soldier on the other hand I do love. However, it's still not really a pick-up-and-play game in the way that doom or tempest is. With IS you have to either read the manual *gasp* or experiment to find out what the controls are. Even moving forward is on the unconventional hold-a-and-press-up. Now while I'm not saying it's not a brilliant game (because it really is), it's not the most easy thing to launch into. Especially since it's mission-based and you have to remember your objectives, navigate a complex map, fight enemies on all sides with a really sluggish turning rate (even the fast turn by holding C isn't very fast), all while trying to work out a control scheme that really needs it's own dedicated controller (e.g. the mech warrior/commander series).

However, I would recommend you give it another try, possibly after reading the manual (which is available here on AA if you don't have a paper copy).

Also, I would strongly recommend Tempest 2000 as a prime example of what the Jaguar can do. It's a shooter, starts out easy enough, gets quite manic quite quickly, has really impressive visuals and sound, pounding music, and some of the best gameplay on the system if you ask me. All that and it's pretty cheap to pick up (although I have seen people charge silly money for what is quite a common game).

Jaguar is a quirky little system and as such, you may need to adjust your expectations even further. I'd find it extremely hard to imagine the average gamer that grew up with Nintendo or Sony systems could just jump right in and enjoy what Jaguar has to offer. Having said that and after you immediately cease playing the likes of Hoverstrike (the games sucks, no two ways about it) and Syndicate, give some of the others mentioned a try.

Tempest 2000 should be on your short list for the system

Raiden mentioned a lot here is well worth it

Kasumi Ninja I believe is a great fighter, but so is Ultra Vortek. I like both really well, but might lean a little more toward Kasumi to be honest

Pinball Fantasies is great, Ruiner Pinball is less realistic

Cannon Fodder is a must have Jag game IMO

Protector S.E. and those other Songbird released titles are all good to great, but are pricey. Skyhammer I found slow, dark, tedious and expensive but if you can afford to build your Jag collection easily, go for Protector II and skip Defender 2000 at least!

Defender 2000 is a okay if you can get it cheap, but the real star here is the regular Defender game built into the cart

Doom is great on the Jag if you're not already sick to death of it

Fight For Life is a fighter to stay away from as is Bruce Lee and Double Dragon V IMO

Atari Karts (poor Mario Kart clone) is another expensive title that'll probably leave you wondering WTF!

Super Burnout is a great motorcycle racer

Checkered Flag is an absolute joke, avoid at all costs (even though I'm kinda partial to it, not for the casual gamer)

Club Drive is fun for a little while, but most do not like it and it certainly does not show off any of the Jaguars "64-bits"

NBA Jam - excellent

I-War, pretty damn good in a slow, methodical and boring, errr... relaxing kind of way

Power Drive Rally - top down racer, kinda slow - but excellent

Zool II - excellent platformer

Zero 5 is great, shows more of what the Jag is capable of

Battlesphere is incredible and definitely a must have for the serious Jaguar gamer/collector

Trevor McFur - rollout title that's graphically impressive but a little boring

International Sensible Soccer - great soccer game if you're into the sport

AvP - must have Jag game, but really slow and lethargic by todays standards

White Men Can't Jump - avoid at all costs, simply an abomination

Missile Command - a little slow/sticky when it comes to aiming, but a must have for the system

...My opinions, but any titles not listed are probably going to be too quirky and not worth it for someone new to the Jaguar. In fact, most not talked about will probably turn you off from the Jaguar completely, just as Hoverstrike and Syndicate are. Attack of the Mutant Penguins borders on this line of reasoning. If you enjoy strange and tedious games - that one definitely fits the bill.

Iron Soldier though... kinda surprised you didn't care for that one. Easily one of the better games - but uh-oh, that right there might be a red flag as to what to expect out of the systems other games. Tread lightly, reset your expectations and try to enjoy!

Edited by save2600

Raiden III mentioned a lot here is well worth it

Kasumi Ninja I believe is a great fighter, but so is Ultra Vortek. I like both really well, but might lean a little more toward Kasumi to be honest

Protector II and those other Songbird released titles are all good to great, but are pricey.

You probably mean Raiden (1), I wish there was a Raiden III (3) for the Jag ;)

Also it's Protector SE (not II). Just correcting the names, to avoid confusion. :)

In terms of fighters many people don't seem to like Kasumi Ninja, me neither. So if you like fighters be careful about Kasumi Ninja. You might or might not like it. Ultra Vortek is usually considered a lot better.

Edited by Starcat

You probably mean Raiden (1), I wish there was a Raiden III (3) for the Jag ;)

Also it's Protector SE (not II). Just correcting the names, to avoid confusion. :)

Corrected :)

Must have had Raiden III for the PS2 and Protector II for the TI99/4A on the brain. :lol:

And you're right. Kasumi Ninja is another one of those quirky Jag games. But it has its charms. I like the graphics, sounds, music and atmosphere actually. And if you can just train yourself to hit the punch or kick buttons a fraction of a second BEFORE you'd instinctively want to, the game becomes that much more playable. Kasumi also doesn't suffer from choppily scrolling backgrounds and gameplay like Ultra Vortek does though. Ulrta Vortek is great, but has always somehow felt like a Philips CD-i game to me. lol

-edit-

@CD-i, I like Kasumi much better than Dragon because it offers a LOT more variety (characters, moves, graphics, etc.) and it's just more interesting. Dragon's fighting may play "better" or the response is better or something, but in the end, it's just another mediocre fighter. At least Kasumi is more like a Mortal Kombat game with finishing moves and great animation. Just my opinions and observations naturally. Honestly, it sounds as if I should give The Bruce Lee Story another try. My opinions are at least 10 years old by now as I haven't bothered to pop it in for a while. But what's with Bruce Lee being the *only* character on screen in his own game? Is there a cloning sub-plot going on or something? lol

Edited by save2600

Jaguar seems to have extremely limited appeal. Unless you have very low expectations, Jaguar will shock you with just how poorly made many of its games are. Even in Atari's Jaguar preview video, you can see that most games seem rather shoddily put together. There are exeptions (Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Tempest 2000), but the average gamer is better off with pretty much any other system (Turbografx-16, for example ;) :lol: ).

• Like 2

thanks for the advice. Honestly my expectations was just that i was hoping it would be better than my super nintendo.I am so pumped though to get going on some more purchases i want to get a catbox soon as i can find one on ebay and a jaguar cd but after watching the video game nerds jaguar episodes i am very weary lol hope they are not all broke.I actually called the company ICD an asked if they had any catboxes left anywhere haha that didnt go over too well lol.

If I can chime in here I can almost see where he's coming from.

Syndicate is one of those games that I think requires a certain investment in learning before it starts to be really rewarding, and thus is probably not a very good first pick-up-and-play game. Also while I've only played the CD version, I personally don't think that much of hover strike either. It's technically quite good, but the excessive amount of texture mapping doesn't do it any favours since the resolution (of any Jag game) is so low.

Iron Soldier on the other hand I do love. However, it's still not really a pick-up-and-play game in the way that doom or tempest is. With IS you have to either read the manual *gasp* or experiment to find out what the controls are. Even moving forward is on the unconventional hold-a-and-press-up. Now while I'm not saying it's not a brilliant game (because it really is), it's not the most easy thing to launch into. Especially since it's mission-based and you have to remember your objectives, navigate a complex map, fight enemies on all sides with a really sluggish turning rate (even the fast turn by holding C isn't very fast), all while trying to work out a control scheme that really needs it's own dedicated controller (e.g. the mech warrior/commander series).

However, I would recommend you give it another try, possibly after reading the manual (which is available here on AA if you don't have a paper copy).

Also, I would strongly recommend Tempest 2000 as a prime example of what the Jaguar can do. It's a shooter, starts out easy enough, gets quite manic quite quickly, has really impressive visuals and sound, pounding music, and some of the best gameplay on the system if you ask me. All that and it's pretty cheap to pick up (although I have seen people charge silly money for what is quite a common game).

Thanks i should buy the rotary controller on ebay when i buy tempest2000, i wonder if it helps with the game.

thanks for the advice. Honestly my expectations was just that i was hoping it would be better than my super nintendo.I am so pumped though to get going on some more purchases i want to get a catbox soon as i can find one on ebay and a jaguar cd but after watching the video game nerds jaguar episodes i am very weary lol hope they are not all broke.I actually called the company ICD an asked if they had any catboxes left anywhere haha that didnt go over too well lol.

What happened, you get Tom Harker? lol

http://www.eta.org/catbox/

And back the reality/expectation truck up for one sec... I'll try to be as diplomatic about this as possible.... after what you've read, seen and been told, you want a JagCD and a Catbox still? :rolling: May God bless you dear sir. You into any other vintage games, systems, cars, real estate, hi-fi gear, arcade machines and pinball? I've got a whole house (including the damn house) I could sell you. Pigeons are at a premium around here these days ;)

Edited by save2600

Thanks i should buy the rotary controller on ebay when i buy tempest2000, i wonder if it helps with the game.

I wasn't trying to push my auction, and my recommendation for T2k was genuinely because it's one of the Jaguars best selling points (hell, the Project Tempest emulator was built initially *just* to target that one game and bring it to the pc). But from my experiences it does make a pretty huge difference to the game, although a few people I've spoken to do prefer the d-pad.

I wasn't trying to push my auction, and my recommendation for T2k was genuinely because it's one of the Jaguars best selling points (hell, the Project Tempest emulator was built initially *just* to target that one game and bring it to the pc). But from my experiences it does make a pretty huge difference to the game, although a few people I've spoken to do prefer the d-pad.

No i just said that because i wasnt sure if it was you or not who makes and sells the rotary controllers lol i know now though, i think thats awsome.

• Like 1

Prodigal, I think you'll find games you can enjoy. Syndicate is a toss up and seems to be an acquired taste, so not a good place to start. Iron Soldier is generally regarded as a good game (as is Iron Soldier II), though. Hover Strike comes in two versions: cart and CD. The former is not felt to be very good whereas the latter is. I believe you will enjoy Raiden, Rayman, Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Doom and AVP...

THIS. The first 4 games TrekMD listed are THE must-haves on the Jag, though I would also add Cybermorph personally. Doom & AVP (also Wolfenstein 3D) are all decent on the Jag, but you can't circle strafe, and AVP hasn't aged well at all. Hover Strike is completely playable (and enjoyable) on CD, but the frame rate on the cart version just kills it. The games you got are a very rough introduction aside from Iron Soldier. That one is a great game; it's just hard as nails.

The only fighter on system that is worth playing is Ultra Vortek. Primal Rage is CD only and prohibitively expensive. The Jag version of NBA Jam, aside from the music, is absolutely ACE. Atari Karts, Missile Command 3D & Power Drive Rally, all of which can be on the expensive side, are also all good stuff. Val d'Isere Skiing & Snowboarding is a semi-sequel to the SNES Mode 7 Tommy Moe skiing game, and it is also a lot of fun (and cheap). Cannon Fodder is a great Amiga port, as is Zool 2. The Jag also has a great version of Zoop.

I am far from a fanatic about the system (though I LOVE the VLM & BattleMorph on the CD), but it isn't anywhere near as bad as your first impression of it. Also, on a side note, do yourself a favor and track down either a composite or S-Video cable. The Jag RF is frickin' awful.

Final note: The rotary is fantastic for T2K, but it also plays great with the pad. I'd honestly buy more of the recommended games, or the most excellent Pro Controller, first unless you are absolutely smitten with T2K. It's worth it in the long run, but not as an out of the gate purchase.

Edited by klausien

No i just said that because i wasnt sure if it was you or not who makes and sells the rotary controllers lol i know now though, i think thats awsome.

Yep thats me :)

I'm not the only one who has made and sold them, although I was the first to build them into the controller in that style. Unfortunately I've run out of controllers to modify, so I won't be making any more unless I can find more controllers cheap. Others continue to make them though, so this isn't the last to go, and rotaries are not as rare as some games (or catboxes). Now light guns on the other hand... they're rare (and also pretty much pointless right now).

Hm, it looks like you started with a poor bunch. Asides from Iron Soldier, it only gets better from here, buddy. ;)

If you like first person shooters, Wolfenstein 3D or DOOM should be at the top of your list, IMO. Visually impressive, fast, responsive, and most-importantly, a lot of fun to play. Pick-up-and-play action at its best. :thumbsup:

Edited by Austin