IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 49 - Keystone Kapers

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Officer Kelly reporting for duty. Leaping Leprechauns!! If it isn't Harry Hooligan...up to his old shenanigans. That blunderous hoodlum is robbing Southwick's. And on a Sunday at that! C'mon then...lend a hand. We've got to catch the krook, recover the loot and be careful to boot! Listen up! Don't get KO'd by wild shopping carts, beachballs or biplanes. And get moving! There's not a moment to lose!

s_KeystoneKapers_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Keystone Kapers
  • Released By: 1983, Activision
  • Left Difficulty: N / A
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Default

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday July 28th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Current High Scores
  1. 505,950 (toymailman) [+11]KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  2. 376,000 (sean49938) [+10]KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  3. 47,250 (Scrabbler15 [+9]) KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  4. 45,050 (JacobZu7zu7) [+8]KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  5. 39,150 (oyamafamily) [+7]KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  6. 38,350 (zylon) [+6]KeystoneKapers.jpg[+1]
  7. 33,050 (Pioneer4x4) [+5]
  8. 31,450 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 29,650 (Chuck D. Head) [+3]
  10. 29,350 (SeaGtGruff) [+2]
  11. 27,600 (satan165) [+1]
  12. 24,950 (roadrunner) [+1]
  13. 24,900 (Zoyx) [+1]
  14. 18,200 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]
    18,200 (Jifremok) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Pioneer4x4 [+2]

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Billy Club: Score 35,000 or higher and get 1 extra point!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers, Robert T Mruczek, Jonathan A Ewing,
    David B Yancey, Keith C Post, Douglas C Korekach,
    Steve Germershausen, Tom Duncan, Tee Jester)
  2. 111,100 (David Nelson)
  3. 52,600 (Lafe Travis)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [465]
  2. Zoyx [332]
  3. oyamafamily [251]
  4. roadrunner [237]
  5. darthkur [218]
  6. shadow460 [184]
  7. JacobZu7zu7 [129]
  8. LarcenTyler [126]
  9. Cebus Capucinis [107]
  10. zylon [97]
  11. Deteacher [92]
  12. Atardi [84]
  13. vjames [71]
  14. SpiceWare [70]
  15. aftermac [70]
  16. keilbaca [64]
  17. Mister VCS [63]
  18. Captain Beard [61]
  19. godzillajoe [56]
  20. Scrabbler15 [52]
  21. katana [51]
  22. 4Ks [41]
  23. SekOner [33]
  24. brandondwright [30]
  25. Vectorman0 [29]
  26. Carey85 [29]
  27. Tr3vor [28]
  28. Jifremok [27]
  29. NML32 [27]
  30. homerwannabee [26]
  31. Impaler_26 [26]
  32. Hornpipe2 [25]
  33. Wickeycolumbus [24]
  34. devwebcl [21]
  35. pis [19]
  36. SeaGtGruff [17]
  37. chuckwalla [17]
  38. HatNJ [14]
  39. Pioneer4x4 [13]
  40. Nathan Strum [11]
  41. Chuck D. Head [10]
  42. LoneWolfSeth [10]
  43. LaserHawk [10]
  44. vintagegamecrazy [9]
  45. joeypsp [9]
  46. Lendorian [9]
  47. littleman jack [8]
  48. kote [8]
  49. sean49938 [7]
  50. Animan [6]
  51. Player 3 [6]
  52. satan165 [6]
  53. Ravey [5]
  54. Chris Leach [5]
  55. MIKE5200 [4]
  56. Skaarg [4]
  57. JayWI [3]
  58. Shannon [2]
  59. jeremysart [2]
  60. sloth713 [2]
  61. jjd [2]
  62. SpaceInvaders [2]
  63. ChrisKoopa [1]
  64. Hitachi [1]
  65. Nati [1]
  66. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Keystone Kapers
  • Points are earned each time a Krook is apprehended. The sooner you catch him, the more points you'll get. Krooks 1 through 8 are worth 100 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. Krooks 9 through 16 are worth 200 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. After your 16th arrest, each Krook will be worth 300 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. Also, every recovered moneybag and suitcase is worth 50 points.
  • Every time your score increases by 10,000 points, a Kop is added to your reserve squad, up to a maximum of three on-screen at a time.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• DON'T GET STUCK ON THE ROOF!! Because - surprise! - you can't get back down! To avoid this embarrassing predicament, stay behind the Krook and don't go to the roof until he's up there.
  • As your score rises, the beachballs bounce higher. Forget about trying to jump over them. Instead, DUCK! Also, the biplanes and shopping carts start coming in waves, so learn their rhythms and do the "Keystone Strut". To the tune of the shopping carts it's, "Jump... run two steps... Jump... run two steps.. etc." To the biplane beat it's, "Duck... run three steps... duck... run three steps... etc." Learn to adjust to changing rhythms
  • And, to save yourself a few steps, have Kelly JUMP onto the escalators. He'll be halfway up already. Now, go out and get those guys!

We played this game before in the High Score Club, check it out.

satan165

If you are having trouble timing the high bouncing beachballs, just run to the exact middle of the screen, duck... and wait. you can even be a touch off center (either way) and you'll survive.

Pioneer4x4

• When you get the double basketballs, just run right into them, the time penalty is less that what it takes to get safely through (if you do, which you won't, so you get penalty and waste time)
  • It is almost NEVER good to take the elevator to the top, always take it, always to the middle floor.
  • You can save a split second jumping onto the escalator
  • I always do a flourish and jump before catching the arch criminal. It looks like you are jumping and putting your entire body behind you club reigning blows upon his head. Mwah-ha-ha!
  • Get the elevator in sync with gameplay! This is very important. You want to end a level before the elevator get to the top, so it will be getting to the bottom when you get there on next stage. You can get over 25000 before the double Basket Balls and Fast Carts come out easy. Then it gets hard fast.

sean49938

The difficulty maxes out pretty early and then it's all about stamina. If you can catch that elevator right away on the first floor then get off on the second and if you time it right that scenario keeps repeating. When the planes hit top speed you have to duck six times per screen and the carts actually seem slower there's just more of them. Free guys every 10,000 throughout.

--Zero

played 3 games of increasing scores and ended just short of 20K :x

post-6551-127975622612_thumb.jpg

stupid briefcases are worth so little i want to start jumping over them, useless

i actually made it further on one of my previous, lower scoring games then i did on this one. the triple radios are tough as nails but conquerable, however i am really stuck on the double bouncing beach balls. i do not understand how to time that at all

small but possibly useful tip: if you are having trouble timing the high bouncing beachballs, just run to the exact middle of the screen, duck....and wait. you can even be a touch off center (either way) and youll survive

20,000 was my goal for at least the next couple days, surprised that i nearly nailed it on my first outing. i would really love to patch on this one. i dont know what my previous high score is but i know ive never patched. once i conquer the double bouncing beachballs it should be possible. i went into this last stage with 2 lives remaining, then wasted them both. even if i had gotten 20K and earned a 1UP, it wouldnt have helped for today with my lack of understanding of that technique

i havent played the cart for so long it needed to be double cleaned with denatured before it worked. runs like a top now.

while last weeks was honestly tedious (infiltrate) but i still felt the urge to push myself harder for a higher score, this game is dangerously addictive and ive never been too thrilled with it in the past. this is going to be a fun week!

Edited by satan165

For a tip,

1) when you get the double basketballs, just run right into them, the time penalty is less that what it takes to get safely through (if you do, which you won't, so you get penalty and waste time)

2) It is almost NEVER good to take the elevator to the top, always take it, always to the middle floor.

3) you can save a split second jumping onto the escalator

4) I always do a flourish and jump before catching the arch criminal. It looks like you are jumping and putting your enitre body behind you club reigning blows upon his head. Mwah-ha-ha!

5) Get the elevator in sync with gameplay! This is very important. You want to end a level before the elevator get to the top, so it will be getting to the bottom when you get there on next stage. You can get over 25000 before the double Basket Balls and Fast Carts come out easy. Then it gets hard fast.

For a tip,

1) when you get the double basketballs, just run right into them, the time penalty is less that what it takes to get safely through (if you do, which you won't, so you get penalty and waste time)

good to know, since as i said im having so much trouble with them

Did you give up? It shows 3 lives, and plenty of time, are you hiding in the elevator?

it always reverts to that upon game end

glad to see everyone in the 20K range so i dont get clobbered by everyone, i am honestly looking forward to this week now!

376,000 I got into a groove and then I lost it. It's all about timing the elevator right!

How do you get that high? I assume it doesn't get any harder after the fast planes, and carts. Do you still get extra guys, or do you have to make it on 4?

The difficulty maxes out pretty early and then it's all about stamina. If you can catch that elevator right away on the first floor then get off on the second and if you time it right that scenario keeps repeating. When the planes hit top speed you have to duck six times per screen and the carts actually seem slower there's just more of them. Free guys every 10,000 throughout. I had been playing this game prior to this week and it was one of my favorites growing up, that helps.

The difficulty maxes out pretty early and then it's all about stamina. If you can catch that elevator right away on the first floor then get off on the second and if you time it right that scenario keeps repeating. When the planes hit top speed you have to duck six times per screen and the carts actually seem slower there's just more of them. Free guys every 10,000 throughout. I had been playing this game prior to this week and it was one of my favorites growing up, that helps.

OK, Like I posted earlier, I got 46K 24 years ago, haven't played much since. Not sure what point the diff hits max. When playing last night, I remembered it might be advantageous to commit suicide by plane just to get the elevator in sync.

BTW, you can start the game that way too. When you hit reset, the elevator position doesn't, so wait for it to open on middle on the way up, reset the game and boogie to the left.