IGNORED

Alternate Reality Remake Project release 2 is now available.

AtariNerd

(This may have somewhat of a tenuous connection to Atari to some, but as it is remake with the original Atari 8-bit version as a basis, I felt it deserved a mention, here.)

From the authors posting on his development forum:

http://arproject.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28

AR Project Demo 2 - Now available

Post by acrin1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi there,

The second demo is finally available. It doesn't contain all the features I had planned but given that almost a year to the day has passed since the original demo I wanted to release what I had. You can download demo 2 from:

http://www.crpgdev.com

Main changes include:

Added character creation Dungeon gate sequence

Added some Dungeon encounters and music

Added shop placeholders (images and music) for Retreat, Rathskeller and Dungeon Guilds

Implemented Smithy weapon purchases and early character inventory

Use weapons purchased (and torches) as weapons for encounters

Added backwards movement

Fixed Smithy prices

Fixed play, die, quit game loop for repeated play

Menu option for "Atari 8bit" or "Alternate" image set and some alternative textures

Fixed door sound effects for City and Dungeon

Added level 2 of the Dungeon

Code improvements which will simplify future development

Added backgrounds for different times of day in the City

There are lots of things that need tweaking and further work but hopefully there will still be some additions of interest. I've lost a lot of time over the last year on the project for a number of reasons - partly distractions within the project and also due to limited time and demands from work and family. On the positive front this means that I am now very enthusiastic about the project and keen to make up some of the ground that I've lost. It's quite easy to get burnt out on a project like this so a rest can be a good thing.

Moving forwards my intention is to release more than one demo per year :) I plan to release an at least one update version every two months - even if they contain only minor changes. I'm going to focus on improving the combat and object inventory in the next release. Some of the behaviour in the current demo isn't how I expect it to be and also behaves differently depending on whether you are in the City or the Dungeon. I'd like to tidy this up a lot for the next demo.

Thanks again to all those who were kind enough to send me messages of support about the project - all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Link to our own Alternate Reality mega-thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/69356-alternate-reality-the-city-by-philip-price-links/page__st__400__p__2048922__hl__alternate%20reality__fromsearch__1#entry2048922

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 1

(This may have somewhat of a tenuous connection to Atari to some, but as it is remake with the original Atari 8-bit version as a basis, I felt it deserved a mention, here.)

From the authors posting on his development forum:

http://arproject.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28

AR Project Demo 2 - Now available

Post by acrin1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi there,

The second demo is finally available. It doesn't contain all the features I had planned but given that almost a year to the day has passed since the original demo I wanted to release what I had. You can download demo 2 from:

http://www.crpgdev.com

Main changes include:

Added character creation Dungeon gate sequence

Added some Dungeon encounters and music

Added shop placeholders (images and music) for Retreat, Rathskeller and Dungeon Guilds

Implemented Smithy weapon purchases and early character inventory

Use weapons purchased (and torches) as weapons for encounters

Added backwards movement

Fixed Smithy prices

Fixed play, die, quit game loop for repeated play

Menu option for "Atari 8bit" or "Alternate" image set and some alternative textures

Fixed door sound effects for City and Dungeon

Added level 2 of the Dungeon

Code improvements which will simplify future development

Added backgrounds for different times of day in the City

There are lots of things that need tweaking and further work but hopefully there will still be some additions of interest. I've lost a lot of time over the last year on the project for a number of reasons - partly distractions within the project and also due to limited time and demands from work and family. On the positive front this means that I am now very enthusiastic about the project and keen to make up some of the ground that I've lost. It's quite easy to get burnt out on a project like this so a rest can be a good thing.

Moving forwards my intention is to release more than one demo per year :) I plan to release an at least one update version every two months - even if they contain only minor changes. I'm going to focus on improving the combat and object inventory in the next release. Some of the behaviour in the current demo isn't how I expect it to be and also behaves differently depending on whether you are in the City or the Dungeon. I'd like to tidy this up a lot for the next demo.

Thanks again to all those who were kind enough to send me messages of support about the project - all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Link to our own Alternate Reality mega-thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/69356-alternate-reality-the-city-by-philip-price-links/page__st__400__p__2048922__hl__alternate%20reality__fromsearch__1#entry2048922

wow... it feels like the original... and strangely enough I am suprised that I still have the Xebec's City map in my mind... ;)

I love the new texture mode, too...

This project looks great. Its connection to Atari is not tenuous at all, it's deep. That's okay that there is just the Windows version now. I hope like the website says, you are able to release Linux and Mac versions at some point. I just purchased an Android-based netbook, so maybe the Linux version will make its way to Android.

I also applaud your philosophy to make your incremental improvements available to the public, even though you're not as far along by this time as you planned.

This project looks great. Its connection to Atari is not tenuous at all, it's deep. That's okay that there is just the Windows version now. I hope like the website says, you are able to release Linux and Mac versions at some point. I just purchased an Android-based netbook, so maybe the Linux version will make its way to Android.

I also applaud your philosophy to make your incremental improvements available to the public, even though you're not as far along by this time as you planned.

It is not my own work. I probably should have designated just a bit better between the part I was quoting and my own added blurbage. All credit goes to the individual whose work is linked therein. Just follow the clicky text. :)

Any chance the OP has of obtaining the code for the additional datasettes for AR and getting them released for the A8...according to wiki, there were supposed to be additional datasettes (other then city and dungeon) and the original programmer wanted to release them as such but datasoft had other ideas (like make complete games out of them) unfortunately neither the original programmer or datasoft could reach an agreement and the additional datasettes went unreleased)

Edited by carmel_andrews