IGNORED

Atari 2600 Hardware Mod for remote console switches

Pioneer4x4

I created this thread as a new one instead of blending in with others... Anyway, I ordered some latching relays and a db9 connector today, and once they come in, I plan on testing it all out. I hope to have it so any of the 3 different 12 button controllers can be used to control the consoles 6 switches. The "Game Select" and "Reset" will be single buttons and the other 4 will be controlled by a pair of buttons, one for on and one for off. Then overlays can be made for the generic console and for specific applications such as Phasor Patrol where Color=Shields On and B/W=Shields Off and the left difficulty is main screen or map view.

• Like 1

I created this thread as a new one instead of blending in with others... Anyway, I ordered some latching relays and a db9 connector today, and once they come in, I plan on testing it all out. I hope to have it so any of the 3 different 12 button controllers can be used to control the consoles 6 switches. The "Game Select" and "Reset" will be single buttons and the other 4 will be controlled by a pair of buttons, one for on and one for off. Then overlays can be made for the generic console and for specific applications such as Phasor Patrol where Color=Shields On and B/W=Shields Off and the left difficulty is main screen or map view.

Hey Pioneer,

I'm glad you're taking the initiative with this. I'm a bit out of my league with this level of electronics. I tried to figure something out, but figuring out how to do it made my head hurt. I'm curious to see what your ultimate solution will be. Are you looking at modding the controller itself? I would leave the power button off the mod to prevent frightening mistaken button pushing.

Edited by Lendorien

Hey Pioneer,

I'm glad you're taking the initiative with this. I'm a bit out of my league with this level of electronics. I tried to figure something out, but figuring out how to do it made my head hurt. I'm curious to see what your ultimate solution will be. Are you looking at modding the controller itself? I would leave the power button off the mod to prevent frightening mistaken button pushing.

Luckily I found cheap (hugely important) latching relays. IF it works, that is all I will use, no electronics. The only issue I think might creep up is if they use too much power. I really don't think it is an issue though. The reason I was thinking of power is for harmony cart usage to switch games, and there are enough buttons on the keyboard controller to do it.

Hey Pioneer,

Luckily I found cheap (hugely important) latching relays. IF it works, that is all I will use, no electronics. The only issue I think might creep up is if they use too much power. I really don't think it is an issue though. The reason I was thinking of power is for harmony cart usage to switch games, and there are enough buttons on the keyboard controller to do it.

Please take pictures as you do this, if you can. I'd like to see what you come up with. The power button for harmony use is actually a neat idea, but I still worry about bumping the button.

Edited by Lendorien

Another update

After deciding to order HALO 2600, and a AtariAge shirt, I decided to order a Pause Kit as well. Assuming what I am attempting works, adding the pause to the mix should work also.

Here is a crappy overlay I mocked up.(Not slow, not fast, but halfast) I will probably not group them like that, but it is just to show what all will be on it. Then you can make one for specific games that use the diff/color switches for gameplay.

post-25375-128164784878_thumb.jpg

Another update

After deciding to order HALO 2600, and a AtariAge shirt, I decided to order a Pause Kit as well. Assuming what I am attempting works, adding the pause to the mix should work also.

Here is a crappy overlay I mocked up.(Not slow, not fast, but halfast) I will probably not group them like that, but it is just to show what all will be on it. Then you can make one for specific games that use the diff/color switches for gameplay.

YOu'll definately want those power buttons out of the way, perhaps on the same row so it's less likely to hit by accident.

YOu'll definately want those power buttons out of the way, perhaps on the same row so it's less likely to hit by accident.

Before I thought about the pause, I was going to make it so you had to press 2 non adjacent buttons simultaneously to turn it off, but I don't have a spare button any more...

Well some success and failures. First the success.

The only externally visible alteration will be an additional DB9 port for the keypad controller.

The keypad controller works great as reset and select alternates.

The latching relays work great on the 5v in the Atari. They are mechanical latching, so only use power when pushing a button. They hold state even when powered off. I wired up 2 buttons to do the color/bw and it worked like a charm. Fired up Phaser Patrol and Combat as a quick test. Both worked better than the console switch!

Now the bad news, the damn matrixed buttons! I can't figure out how to isolate them all to power the relays. I need to use them to send 5v to the relay contacts, but since every button shares wires, I can't work it out. I will need at least to use diodes, more likely some other method, or just limit the functions.

As is, I might only be able to control Select,Reset, and 2 of the switches. I would really like to get at least 3 or 4 working so I can do the 2 diff switches, and color/bw (and maybe pause).

Oh well, more thinking to do!

Well, unless I figure something else out, I think by far the easiest way is to use a programmable microcontroller to read the matrix AND control the switches. I always wanted to learn how to do it, so this is a great reason. If it works like I think it will (I know, I've said that before) the PICAXE 20x2 chip for about $8 will be able to read the matrix and control the other 7 outputs directly.

I plan to have a loop, where it puts one of 3 verticle lines for the matrix high, then read the 4 horizontal lines to see if any of those have been pressed.

If anyone has any experience with these, PLEASE chime in!

Well, I don't have any experience with microcontrollers, but maybe you gave up on your first idea too soon?

What I'm thinking is, regarding the button matrices on the keyboard controller, could you cut traces to isolate the buttons from the matrix? I'm sure Morpheus would be happy to bring in the Nebuchadnezzar to help you there...

Anyway, I've never opened a keyboard controller so I don't know if this is possible, but maybe you could cut the traces and solder individual functions between buttons?

-tet

Well, I don't have any experience with microcontrollers, but maybe you gave up on your first idea too soon?

What I'm thinking is, regarding the button matrices on the keyboard controller, could you cut traces to isolate the buttons from the matrix? I'm sure Morpheus would be happy to bring in the Nebuchadnezzar to help you there...

Anyway, I've never opened a keyboard controller so I don't know if this is possible, but maybe you could cut the traces and solder individual functions between buttons?

-tet

I could re-wire it and with the 9 pin connector, I could use 8 of the buttons. I REALLY want to use the controller as-is, so if I manage to get it working nice, and cheap (ALWAYS a huge factor), I can make it available to others. I bet there are hundreds (ok, maybe 5...) of people that might want it.

FWIW, just having the pause, select and COLOR/BW. working on it was real cool. I always wondered why they never made any more games use it. Except for the funky basic programming, the most buttons used that I know of is 8 with Oscar's Trash game

http://www.atariage.com/overlay_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=333

This is really cool. So I will be able to use a keypad/keyboard controller to reset the game? I can't wait.

Yep, that is my plan. And then I will look into the PS2 controller, maybe map it's extra buttons to reset/select/pause...

The bummer is I have to wait for the parts from the UK. 7-10 days, AIRMAIL! I think they are coming over on a blimp.

I really like this idea.

I have never messed with microcontrollers, but if it was me doing this mod for myself, I would just straight wire the electronics to the 9 pin and use 8 buttons.

Good luck! ^_^

IF it has all 9 wires in it (I doubt) I would still need to rewire it. I want to make it a simple add on that others can use. Plus I have been looking for a reason to use one of those picaxe deals for a while, now I found 2!

I am interested in this. My only complaint is I HATE the Star Raiders controller. Why not use the kids controller? Less chance of hitting the wrong button.

Any of the 3 controllers with buttons will work the same. I am leaning twords the kids myself sin you can make more detail in the overlay. I just didn't specifically say it since I would guess the number of Star Raiders controllers is much more common than the other 2.

I got my package today. It came from Hong Kong, not the UK like I assumed. I am real pleased with the bunch-o-wires it came with, they are random lengths with either a single pin or socket on the end to use as jumpers. I should have ordered a 28 pin socket too, oh well, it will have to stay on breadboard for a while. Plus the kit came with a usb to 9 pin serial adapter hickyjobber that is kinda cool, so I can program it from a new laptop without serial port.

Hopefully I can read up a bit and have a mock up working this weekend.