IGNORED

MagicJack-Is this something you'd buy or have bought?

Defender II

I have had Vonage and no complaint until they started raising rates. Now I am looking at the MagicJack

Does anyone have any feedback on it?

Can you use a modem over it to connect to a BBS?

There are some more starting up again but I don't want to pay long distance charges.

The thing that concerns me the most is what I found in their TOS about advertising and tracking the calls for focusing it.http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

"11. Advertisements

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements. Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software or the magicJack softphone - the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call and your registration information in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them."

www.magicjack.com

I have it, and actually cancelled my phone service soon after ;) The ads they are referring to are inside of the dialer software. It is not like you get ads plastered all over your PC or something. Do a search for "magicsilence" which is a plugin from a very talented hacker that supresses the magicjack dialer from popping up (it WILL pop up every time you pick up the phone without it!)

With the plugin, the dialer never comes up and I simply have dialtone every time I pick up the phone...like a normal phone of course.

Feedback? Hey, it works and it's $20 a year. Can't beat it. It will work with modems and faxes as well...just like a normal phone. The only thing that really sucks is that your computer and internet connection always have to be on for it to work. Not that bad for me (as my pc IS always on) but may be a problem for people who like to shut down their stuff.

Interesting topic. I've been meaning to check into this some more myself. We currently have a home line through our cable company, Brighthouse. It's like $20 a month extra Which they package together with the Cable & Internet, but it still adds up. We just called last month, after some friends told us they were offering a hardship promo :lol: But just a call to drop some channels or the phone service & they offered us more channels (encore, YES network, etc) and $15 off a month to keep what we had.. So we've kept it all for now. :) But $20 a year vs $20 a month... sounds like a good deal. Wow I didn't realize they hit you with ads. So how does it work normally? You have to wait through some ads before the dialtone comes up? What if someone calls you?

When I moved in to my new place in may '09, I picked up magicjack. At first there were phone-related problems. People couldn't hear eachother and whatnot, and these problems still occasionally pop up. Overall though I'm happy with the service (since I never use my phone anyway), and have renewed my 1-year with a 5-year. I have a spare low-power laptop sitting next to the phone, which does nothing except run phone software. It's closed, but the magicjack keeps it from going to sleep, so I've never seen those ads. This was the first I've heard of them.

I can't answer about the bbs thing though.

When I moved in to my new place in may '09, I picked up magicjack. At first there were phone-related problems. People couldn't hear eachother and whatnot, and these problems still occasionally pop up. Overall though I'm happy with the service (since I never use my phone anyway), and have renewed my 1-year with a 5-year. I have a spare low-power laptop sitting next to the phone, which does nothing except run phone software. It's closed, but the magicjack keeps it from going to sleep, so I've never seen those ads. This was the first I've heard of them.

I can't answer about the bbs thing though.

I was planning on a similar setup. I want to find a small laptop, pull the electromechanical drive and put in a solid-state one.

My concern, is not with the ad they display, but that they track your calls for the purpose of focusing ads. They say they don't provide the info to third parties, but their TOS also says they can change the TOS so...

I really liked the quality of Vonage, but I'd like to reduce the costs of phone service as much as I can. All the taxes and fees were still applied to Vonage and Magic-Jack says they don't have them. I don't see why they don't, since they are basically the same except Vonage provides a switch system so you don't need to have a PC.

Does anybody know if you can keep your existing phone number if you switch to magicjack?

"NOT YET, BUT COMING SOON!

We are working to give you the option to transfer or "port" your existing local phone number to magicJack, for a nominal fee."

Per their FAQ section...http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq/

Edited by Defender II

Does anybody know if you can keep your existing phone number if you switch to magicjack?

Nope. That's the one thing holding me back. I've had my ph# forever, and since my kids' school, doctors, and tons of other important stuff have that number it'd be a bitch to go through the change....

Overall though I'm happy with the service (since I never use my phone anyway), and have renewed my 1-year with a 5-year.

What is the advantage of the 5-year vs a 1-year?

nothing really

5 years is only $70, 1-year is more per year.

my first year came with my device for $40

6 or 7 months ago I called Vonage and was ready to cancel the service since I barely used my land line at all anymore. I had been a 3 or 4 year customer at the time I called. They offered me an ulta-low-price package that they don't advertise anywhere. I get 100 minutes for like $9 a month and if I go over that time it's 5 or 10 cents for additional minutes. We've never gone over.

6 or 7 months ago I called Vonage and was ready to cancel the service since I barely used my land line at all anymore. I had been a 3 or 4 year customer at the time I called. They offered me an ulta-low-price package that they don't advertise anywhere. I get 100 minutes for like $9 a month and if I go over that time it's 5 or 10 cents for additional minutes. We've never gone over.

That still doesn't seem to compare to magic jack. Is there some big advantage to Vonage that I am missing?

I bought two one for myself and one for my GF for when we travel. We are both very happy with them works well with hotel internet most of the time we just plug the hotel phone in the magic jack that is connected to laptop.

If I didn't already have Trixbox VOIP setup in my home I would set my Magic Jack up like the guy did in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7JxxtdAkc

My magic jack stinks. It's worth the price, but calls garble and cut out. Great for having a number on your eBay and other registrations online without giving out your REAL numbers to the public.

AX

Ax, have you tried your MJ on other networks also are you trying to use over wifi? Also have you tried the air card 3g setting?

My magic jack stinks. It's worth the price, but calls garble and cut out. Great for having a number on your eBay and other registrations online without giving out your REAL numbers to the public.

AX

Ax, have you tried your MJ on other networks also are you trying to use over wifi? Also have you tried the air card 3g setting?

Yes, I've tried it on three networks (all hardwired cable), both settings. Sometimes it takes a while to start dropping words, but eventually it always does. Could be the crappy PCs I use it on.

AX

I really wish it worked with faxing. Tried it with 3 different machines, and no go.

Faxing with VOIP can be hit and miss.

Here are a few things you can try. Set the baud rate to the lowest setting 9600 or lower. Not all fax machines will let you adjust baud rate.

If your fax machine has a setting to fax overseas try turning it on.

Google Faxing over VOIP there are lots of tips.

I always wondered why someone doesn't invent a fax machine that plugs into your phone line AND your network. The faxes come in and the device converts them into a PDF and stores them where you want.. either in a local fax folder or on your network. Then you can print only the ones you want. I get a lot of junk faxes at work.