IGNORED

The "Generally Satisfied with Stock 5200 Controllers" Thread

mellis

Aside from having to periodically open my controllers and clean the oxidation from the flex circuits, I've always been pretty happy with the stock 5200 controllers. I love having the two fire buttons close at hand, and I always thought the numeric pad was cool.

In another thread, Curt mentioned the CX52L joysticks that included some self-centering hardware. I definitely think that would be an improvement, but even still, part of the reason I like playing 5200 games is because of the joysticks.

There are those who've made heroic efforts to replace their 5200 controllers, and others who have derided the 5200 sticks. That's OK - everyone's entitled to an opinion. I'm just curious to learn if I'm the only one who actually LIKES the 5200 controllers.

And hey, if I am, that's cool too.

I'm ok with stock 5200 sticks but as everyone knows, they break.

Yeah I can fix them now, but I couldn't really do as good a job when it counted and I was 12 years old (although I tried :P)

When they work though I'm absolutely fine playing with them. I'm also good with the Wico stick.

There are those who've made heroic efforts to replace their 5200 controllers, and others who have derided the 5200 sticks. That's OK - everyone's entitled to an opinion. I'm just curious to learn if I'm the only one who actually LIKES the 5200 controllers.

And hey, if I am, that's cool too.

Everyone is entitled to a fact as well-- Atari 5200 controllers even when working aren't as good as Wico, MasterPlay, and other Digital Joystick Interfaces. Yep, you're the only one who likes the stock 5200 controllers given the choices. Hey, you'll just get a lower score in most games that's all.

Trackball is also a stock controller and that one is good for some games like Missile Command, Galaxian, and a few others.

I don't mind the stock controllers, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I like them. :lol:

There's a little joystick module on Digikey I've been eying, looks like I might be able to glue it to the top half of the controller case in the square hole. I'd love to try that if I could find a decent way to extend the shaft.

I have the 5200 stock ones along with a track ball and two Wico's.

The stock Atari controllers, I put replacement Best pots and flex circuits, along with gluing in the aluminum dots behind all the buttons. They now work like new, and I am fine with them, except, one seems to "stick" in various directions on some games, forcing me to have overcorrect in order to make the stick center correctly. The one that works correctly, I love. I also bought new rubber stick boots from Best and they help the stick to center on most games.

Now, for the Wico controllers: Everyone brags on them and I have yet to see what it is all about. As of now, the Wico pots are trash (oxidation?) and I have little to no directional control with either. I even took one of the controller's pots completely apart and lightly sanded and isopropyl'd the circular contacts. No effect whatsoever! I then went and fit some Radio Shack 1m ohm pots to fit into the Wico controller casing, but all I have is an area of directional control that is roughly about 1/4 of my screen size. I went so far as to spray some electronic cleaner into the original Bournes pots, but it did not help in the slightest. So, for now at least, my opinion of Wico is that they are trash.

The option that I am guessing has the greatest rate of success is to get some older 15-pin PC controllers and adapters. I have yet to locate an acceptable controller and the adapters. Someone warned me to steer clear of any PC controllers that use Windows software drivers. Unfortunately, I think all mine are of that type.

Man, all of this just to be able to enjoy some games on the 5200. I must be crazy...

Put me in the "like" camp. I never had a problem with them back in the day. That is to say functionality wise. We did have the fire buttons go out once in a while, but there was a local tv repair guy who would fix them for $5 bucks (IIRC) and they would last a long time between repairs. To this day I never understood all the hate, I was good enough of a game player that I adapted to them pretty quickly. I'm sure lots of people just can't play videogames too well, so like a baseball player in a slump blaming the bat, they blame the controller. I actually prefer them on games like PacMan, which is supposedly unplayable.

And I prefer them to both the Wico and Masterplay sticks as well. The Masterplay stick has the fire buttons on opposite sides, so you have to reach over to fire button #2, so those type of games just aren't fun. The Wico at least is better for 2-button games, but imo the stick is too tall, especially considering it has a pointy top.

Yep, I'm satisfied, in fact I prefer them.

A little skill and a little practice go a long way. I used to hate the Colecovision controllers too. After a little practice I got used to them, and only on a few games do I find them truly cumbersome.

• Like 1

Put me in the "like" camp. I never had a problem with them back in the day. That is to say functionality wise. We did have the fire buttons go out once in a while, but there was a local tv repair guy who would fix them for $5 bucks (IIRC) and they would last a long time between repairs. To this day I never understood all the hate, I was good enough of a game player that I adapted to them pretty quickly. I'm sure lots of people just can't play videogames too well, so like a baseball player in a slump blaming the bat, they blame the controller. I actually prefer them on games like PacMan, which is supposedly unplayable.

And I prefer them to both the Wico and Masterplay sticks as well. The Masterplay stick has the fire buttons on opposite sides, so you have to reach over to fire button #2, so those type of games just aren't fun. The Wico at least is better for 2-button games, but imo the stick is too tall, especially considering it has a pointy top.

Yep, I'm satisfied, in fact I prefer them.

A little skill and a little practice go a long way. I used to hate the Colecovision controllers too. After a little practice I got used to them, and only on a few games do I find them truly cumbersome.

Well stated!

The stock controllers work really well with Sinistar and some others like Centipede and Pole Position. They don't cut it when it comes to maze games like Pac-Man.

You would enjoy Zone Ranger. Pretty similar to Sinistar (free-roaming). PacMan is probably something I had to get used to, but now if I play with a 2600 controller I suck. I learned to "anticipate" moving, like if I'm coming to a corner where I have to to up and right, I point the stick in that direction before I get there. Doing that on a 2600 stick would make you stop/go back the other way.

Gorf however I would agree. Unplayable.

There's a fallacy in this logic. You can get used to everything you use a long time; however, it isn't always a good thing or right. Like you stated later, you have to already anticipate turns in pac-man and then playing with a joystick with instant response on Atari 2600, you start screwing up. But the reality is that when you want to turn, you should turn exactly at that time. I had the same experience with playing Donkey Kong on PC and some other platforms-- the timing was just all off compared to Atari 8-bit version. You had to time it earlier than it should be and add to that the fact that there was tearing and flickering and collisions were just way off. I am sure some people got used that DK, but in reality it's inferior and bad. Same for some Colecovision games by the way-- not just picking on PC stuff or A5200 controllers.

I always thought the 5200 controllers were the best controllers of that era myself...

Vectrex had a nice controller too.

But my feeling has always been if you're not using the original controller then you might as well be using emulation. For better or worse this is what the games were designed for. Same thing with the Intellivision disk or the Colecovision door knob. For me to get the true nostalgia of playing old games I need to use the original controllers. Obviously not everyone agrees with me but to each his own...

i do not have the vitriol of most internet critics toward the controller my only complaint was with the button failures and general design of the fire buttons

the actual "stick" in my opin is a marvel of inginuity the way it uses the leverage of the rod and the pot plates to make such a short throw l to r and u to d with that much precision its not like the throw of a standard 2600 stick since the stick is just pressing buttons

but compared to contemporary sticks of the time the stick was pretty cool all the other analog sticks looked like this ibmstick.jpg

i call those the "pit sticks" since the stick is in a deep depression

i do a lot of playing with pc gameport joysticks some i like, some are better than others ,but i cant find one i like with every game if anybody has folled my adventures they know i have an assload of gameport joysticks i even sell a few here and there but thats beside the point

as it is the origional stick is ok in my book just the fire buttons even when in perfect condition with metal on metal contacts there is a bit of mushyness and not a nice solid click or absolute activation "feel" you get with any atari 2600 stick

ps an a top and bottom almost makes you feel like you are playing the neck of a guitar and changing chords i with they were side by side so a person could either shift a finger foward and back or just use your pointer on one and the middle on the other

my complaint has never been about the "stick" portion any problems along those lines could have been solved in the cart software (like vanguard taking away our diagonal movement (play vanguard then play supercobra and you will know how much they screwed up)

I tolerate them as well, but if there was an accessible option to use something different that does not involve me selling my first born or hours of hassle modding a PC joystick (no time or patience), then I would use the alternative and stay away from the stock controller.

Stick around and keep your eyes open, there's usually a member or two here at any given time selling some kind of homebrewed type gizmo. I can't recall their names atm, but there is one who is always selling a small converter for a fair price (prodos8 I think), and there was also another member that made a complete 5200 contrller using old 5200 parts (his name totally escapes me right now) that (almost) self centers, and uses much more durable fire buttons.

... and there was also another member that made a complete 5200 contrller using old 5200 parts (his name totally escapes me right now) that (almost) self centers, and uses much more durable fire buttons.

Interesting. So his was a homemade 5200 stick that did some of what Curt described in this CX52L thread (CX52L Thread) ?

... and there was also another member that made a complete 5200 contrller using old 5200 parts (his name totally escapes me right now) that (almost) self centers, and uses much more durable fire buttons.

Interesting. So his was a homemade 5200 stick that did some of what Curt described in this CX52L thread (CX52L Thread) ?

No, it was just a homemade box controller, kinda primitave looking. The guts are just a cut-down 5200 stock controller. What helps make it somewhat self-center is that the stick itself is shorter, and is more flush to the rubber boot. As such, it restricts the movement a bit and pretty much bounces back close to center when you push it away. I don't think that was the goal of the controller so much as an extra benefit of the "design". I'll poke around and find the thread when I have a minute...

I tolerate them as well, but if there was an accessible option to use something different that does not involve me selling my first born or hours of hassle modding a PC joystick (no time or patience), then I would use the alternative and stay away from the stock controller.

"Tolerate" is about as enthusiastic as I can be about the stock controllers anymore as well. Once I acquired an alternative (Comp Pro), I became even less forgiving of the stock controller's faults. Poor ergonomics and unreliability are the stick's biggest problems. Analog control is a mixed bag--great for some games, substantially less than ideal for others. If the stock controllers of the 5200's principle competitors (CV and INTV), as well as it's successor (7800), weren't arguably worse (from an ergonomic standpoint at least) I would probably have no patience for the 5200's controllers whatsoever.

I like them for a lot of games. They're pretty comfortable, I like the pause & reset buttons on the controller, and if the game was written well, they're reasonably responsive. Obviously there are some big exceptions, but in my view that's the fault of the game because there are a lot of games that control fine w/ the 5200 controllers. My Best Electronics rebuilt one hasn't given me any trouble over the years. Definitely not my least favorite controller. They don't cramp my hands after 2 minutes like some...