IGNORED

Should I buy a 5200?

Kaboomer

I mean....I have a 2600 with almost all the carts....also have a complete 7800 collection except for a few protos. Also have an XE and 800 for many of the same 5200 games....

So here's my question: should I start a brand new system? I heard there are so many problems with controllers so I just don't know. I heard about the 5200 multi-cart that Sean Kelly has....so maybe that's the quick way. Any advice out there ?

Thanks!

I have Sean's multicart, it's great and now its menu driven so its dirt easy to use and get to playing. Now I can play any of the 80+ games and prototypes for the system on the real deal, minus Super Pacman and Bounty Bob.

www.4jays.com is a place where you can send in broken sticks and they will send you a working refurbed one for around $25. I have 2 sort of working original sticks that have old parts in them, I should buy new gold contacts and a new flex circuit so they'll play more than a few week before needing repair/cleaning.

I would also recommend the 5200 tracball which can be used on half a dozen games. If you can get your hands on the Wico or Competition Pro joysticks they are self centering and more reliable than the standard stick. And finally, its possible to build a masterplay type device that lets you use any stock PC joystick for playing 5200 games. Mine was included when I bought my 5200 but I'm sure there's instructions somewhere on the net.

The 5200 is a blast to have. It was the last Atari game console I needed, and the last I found. It's my holy grail. The console is a beauty and I also like the look and feel of the carts.

Get yourself a refurb 5200 controller and a Wico command controller with the Y-cable, and you're all set.

The 5200 is a blast to have. It was the last Atari game console I needed, and the last I found. It's my holy grail. The console is a beauty and I also like the look and feel of the carts.

Get yourself a refurb 5200 controller and a Wico command controller with the Y-cable, and you're all set.

Yes that right, must to get Wico command controller with Y-cable BEFORE to get Atari 5200 system, then you will get more enjoyable to play with better control with wico joystick :D

To me, I havnt get 5200 system just yet, but I heard about 5200 is a blast system! ;)

Get it!

Jason :)

Hi,

I own the Wico Command Controller, Wico Keypad, and two Competition Pro Joystics from Coin Controls. For non four-way games, the CX52 Joysticks aren't THAT bad. I agree, self centering would have been nice feature and the fire button placement...well....it's not as bad as the 7800, but close ;)

Check out my Sig for a link to Voltman's 5200 controller. It's not cheap, but it's about the same price as I have seen the Wico and Coin Controls Joysticks (in MINT condition) on Ebay. The hardware in the Wico is very good (better than Atari) but it appears to be a less rugged design than the Coin Controls. The HAPP controller will last a lifetime.

As a general rule, if you want a good CX5200 controller, it's going to cost you. :(

That's my 2¢ :D

- VD

I purchased a 5200 specfiically for Twin Galaxies 5200 specific tournaments otherwise I wouldve neveer gotten one.

Personally I would keep my 800XL for less hassle and more games.

If you want all the consoles the 5200 is fine but I got working controllers but didnt use the system for awhile and now its acting flaky - $25 for 30-40 games and repair kinda stinks IMHO

I like the 7800 controllers better than the 5200 ones' date=' very streamlined, and easy to hold onto, just not recommended for long play sessions :sad: .[/quote']

I agree about the long play sessions with the 7800 controller. For whatever reason, the shape of the 5200 works better for me :ponder: Must be my big hands :D

- VD

The 5200 was the last quality system that Atari made. Everything that

followed has the feel of cheap sloppy manufacturing. Even the

cartridges seem so well built too! Especially in comparison to the 2600

or CV carts. Unfortuantly its probably the most expensive system to

collect for. Yes the 2600 has pricer games but if you want a playable

system prepare to pay some dollars. Its so huge that shipping from

an ebay purchase will never be cheap. If you find one in the wild

you're halfway there but you will have to buy new working joysticks

which are not cheap. Especially if you are used to getting 2600 sticks

at the flea market for a buck or two. The best thing about it is you

can buy the multicart and have almost everything made for it. A

players dream.

But if you have a healthy 8-bit collection you may want to pass because

of the duplication of games.

Sku, tough question - The Atari 800 works with alot of carts but not the XE ones.  The 800XL works with the XE carts but some of the earlier 800 carts wont work.

The 800XL is prob the best inbetween bet to get (or the 65XE or XEGS)

I love 8-bit games, but I think my wife would kill me if I brought in a bunch of prehistoric computers. I think I'll try to get an 800XL to add to my collection of gaming systems. Can that computer be hooked up to a standard TV like the TI and C64?

Sku, tough question - The Atari 800 works with alot of carts but not the XE ones.  The 800XL works with the XE carts but some of the earlier 800 carts wont work.

The 800XL is prob the best inbetween bet to get (or the 65XE or XEGS)

I love 8-bit games, but I think my wife would kill me if I brought in a bunch of prehistoric computers. I think I'll try to get an 800XL to add to my collection of gaming systems. Can that computer be hooked up to a standard TV like the TI and C64?

Yep. It uses the same switch box as the 2600.

The 800XL is the best one to get IMHO. Well constructed and quite a bit

smaller than its predecessor the 800. Its a question for the 8-bit forum

but I believe that the XL can play XE games. They are essentially the

same computer just a different package... :ponder:

Another nice thing is that the 8-bit computers can be connected to your

modern computer and you download the games off the net. A cuttlecart

of sorts. 8)

John

When you were done with your bike stunts, how long did it take you to make the paddles?   :D  

- VD

Took bout a half hour for each paddle, i was gonna make instructions on how to do your own paddles and send it to Al or Alex but i got lazy ;) They look and work great i made a few sets for people on here and on DP but im just gonna write some instructions on how to do it yourself cause its easy.

Hi,

I've got a pretty nice 5200 collection put together that I have to get rid of. I'm starting a new business (arcade) and have to free up funds. Also, the girlfriend keeps complaining about all the space my games take up.

I realize that this is not exactly the "hype my auction" forum, but I'd rather have someone who can appreciate what took me quite a lot of time and money to put together. I have a few other systems I'll be selling, but as someone said, the 5200 is the holy grail of game systems. I really hate to get rid of it, but I need the money. Anyway, enough of that. The Ebay item number (10 day auction started 11/27) is 1942049064.

One caveat: If you ever go to sell this stuff again, I'd like first shot at it, if my venture works, I'd love to have it back. ;)