IGNORED

Colecovision game authentication help

ColecoDan

yeah I have fireman and it also comes with a box, not sure why this guy would not have the box for such a newer homebrew.

I think they were sold loose, too.

True, they've been also avalaible loose

I've got mine loose, during the ADAMCon 21 in 2009 when he presented a lot of things including the Fireman game cartridge for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7igfsHSKSQ

Well the guy emailed me back and said he can't remember where he got the bit corps because he got them all the way back in 1986.

Were people already making copies in 86?

He says some atari bit corps that he got have the labels upside down as well.

He is going to look into it as well he said because he was suprised to hear that people were not sure they were real.

Dan

There is a picture of Cosmic Crisis and the box in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150698-please-help-a-noob-with-some-coleco-adam-questions/

Very different from the one shown here.

Authentic!

Here's how the Bit Corp labels look like:

NOTE* These are REPRODUCTION Label I made

This's just to give you an idea of the original look like

post-11933-128269351564_thumb.png

Edited by retroillucid

• 1 month later...

so I wanted to post what I found so people gain knowledge, knowledge is power. icon_smile.gif

The below link is a forward to a conversation about whether Meteoric shower existed and what it looks like

I am going to attach the picture to this in case in the future this link goes away

Digital Press Forum Meteoric Shower link

post-26001-128587833782_thumb.jpg

Edited by ColecoDan

• 2 months later...

so I wanted to post what I found so people gain knowledge, knowledge is power. icon_smile.gif

The below link is a forward to a conversation about whether Meteoric shower existed and what it looks like

I am going to attach the picture to this in case in the future this link goes away

I think this is a re-production as well... all the Bit Corp games used full face labels that were indeed upside down (the Bit logo was closest to the PCB edge connector). The other games, Cosmic Crisis and Tank Wars in Post #1, are definite homebrew reproductions as the label uses a screenshot of the ingame title screen... all Bit games used artist created artwork on the label.

The only possibility for this Meteoric Shower to be authentic is that Bit Corp changed there cart shell and therefore changed the label length for the face of the cartridge. I have only seen pics of the one in the post above (with the label face upside down and BIT logo closest to the PCB edge connector) and the one I saw in the late 80's had the label face orientated correctly with the Bit logo at the top of the face of the label closest to the top of the cartridge's end label... wish I would have bought it.

Edited by NIAD

This is the same Meteoric Shower that startged this thread, but with further pictures. It uses the same cartridge shell that was used by Epyx, Spinnaker, Sierra On-Line and possibly other companies so that sends up a RED FLAG for me unless Bit Corp bought there cartridge shells from the same place as the companies already listed or these companies bought their cart shells from Bit Corp... which I doubt.

Is it the real deal or not? Guess it doesn't matter as someone paid $99 for it on eBay already.

post-25956-129150700488_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129150701545_thumb.jpg

post-25956-12915070248_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129150703733_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129150704614_thumb.jpg

I figured I don't have metoric shower and probably never will get it since no one can even confirm with pictures what all these bit corp games are supposed to look like. The picture I posted here with the box had everone in the other forum saying it was authentic but you think it is not. So I doubt anyone will ever have the authentic ones or if they do they will never know it if no one can see what they are supposed to look like. The guy that had that CIB was from overseas and he said it matched what a guy who originally bought them in the store had that is why they all thought it was authentic. Of course we are all on forums so who knows if he was speaking the truth but he wasn't trying to sell it just show everone so I assumed he must be right.

Anyway, I figure I have done dumber things in my life for more money than $99 and when I talked to this guy originally he was trying to get $300 a cart , so I figured what the hell and bought it. icon_ponder.gif

I don't know if there is any definate way to figure out if it is authentic but if you have ideas when I get it I can let you know or take better pictures than the ones this guy took.

Anyway at worst case I will have a descent repro cart that I can play metoric shower.

I figured I don't have metoric shower and probably never will get it since no one can even confirm with pictures what all these bit corp games are supposed to look like. The picture I posted here with the box had everone in the other forum saying it was authentic but you think it is not. So I doubt anyone will ever have the authentic ones or if they do they will never know it if no one can see what they are supposed to look like. The guy that had that CIB was from overseas and he said it matched what a guy who originally bought them in the store had that is why they all thought it was authentic. Of course we are all on forums so who knows if he was speaking the truth but he wasn't trying to sell it just show everone so I assumed he must be right.

Anyway, I figure I have done dumber things in my life for more money than $99 and when I talked to this guy originally he was trying to get $300 a cart , so I figured what the hell and bought it. icon_ponder.gif

I don't know if there is any definate way to figure out if it is authentic but if you have ideas when I get it I can let you know or take better pictures than the ones this guy took.

Anyway at worst case I will have a descent repro cart that I can play metoric shower.

CONGRATS on getting the cart :!: and I really do mean it. I had actually placed a bid on it as well, but was having a hard time justifying going any higher or all the way up to the BUY IT NOW price... but I think I would have eventually caved before the auction ended if someone didn't do so before me. :x

What I think concerned me a lot about the seller (even though his eBay rating is very high) was the fact that he was selling a lot of homebrew created carts of never before released protos with different style labels (CGE and AtariAge releases were completely different) as can be seen in the pictures at the start of the thread and then he sent me an email stating that Cosmic Crisis and Tank Wars are indeed reproductions using what looks like Coleco cart shells.

Like you said, there may never be a definite answer, but I did see on "www.colecovision.dk" a picture of the Meteoric Shower cart with the label correctly orientated like the one I saw in the late 80's. There is also a picture of the Bit 90 computer with a couple carts lying next to it and the face label is reversed, but covers the full face of the cart shell.

Still would have been nice to add it to the collection as there isn't a TeleGames repro like the other Bit Corp. games and having gotten into (re)collecting the individual games there won't be many opportunities to get this one and I salute you for grabbing it before I could grow a set! :D

If I had such a game, I'd have a good look, with a flashlight, at the end of the cartridge, where the contacts are. I'd compare it to some homebrews, to see if the PCBs are the same. If it was made a long time ago, with a custom PCB or hacked from a different cartridge, it might be tough to tell the source, but if it was made more recently, then maybe the PCB is the same as one of the existing ones available from either AA or from me (or Philipp Krause or possibly Opcode).

Yeah that was how I felt NIAD, I was just going to see how high it went and bid but then I was like it is not far off from 99 already so I just pulled the trigger.

I have almost all the homebrews 5-11 so I will try to compare it with them. Although when I talked to him long ago way before he was selling these on ebay he said he got them in like 86 or 87 from someone overseas. That was why he said they thought they were originals. Don't know if he was pulling my leg but I told him that I knew the tank wars was not authentic because I had seen one of those before and I didn't know about the others. Then I forgot how maybe it was J-F or something but we figured that Cosmic Crisis was not authentic. Then from everything I could figure out the Meteoric Shower was either real or a very good repro but there was no way I was paying 300 for a cart that I was not sure about.

Although he also thought the CBS Football on ebay was real as well and I knew that one was just a telegames version and I don't consider myself an expert since I just got my coleco fixed this year and found out about all this stuff this year.

Anyway at least with the other bit corp titles I had the telegames releases but I have no meteoric shower so that is why I had the most interest in that one.

Yeah that was how I felt NIAD, I was just going to see how high it went and bid but then I was like it is not far off from 99 already so I just pulled the trigger.

I have almost all the homebrews 5-11 so I will try to compare it with them. Although when I talked to him long ago way before he was selling these on ebay he said he got them in like 86 or 87 from someone overseas. That was why he said they thought they were originals. Don't know if he was pulling my leg but I told him that I knew the tank wars was not authentic because I had seen one of those before and I didn't know about the others. Then I forgot how maybe it was J-F or something but we figured that Cosmic Crisis was not authentic. Then from everything I could figure out the Meteoric Shower was either real or a very good repro but there was no way I was paying 300 for a cart that I was not sure about.

Although he also thought the CBS Football on ebay was real as well and I knew that one was just a telegames version and I don't consider myself an expert since I just got my coleco fixed this year and found out about all this stuff this year.

Anyway at least with the other bit corp titles I had the telegames releases but I have no meteoric shower so that is why I had the most interest in that one.

This guy had listed all three together in an auction for, me thinks, $199.95. After I had a little back and forth with him, I suggested he relist them individually for a better shot at selling them. Looks like it worked as you got Meteoric Shower and the Cosmic Crisis and Tank Wars (REPRODUCTIONS!!) have a number of bidders on each. :D

BTW, not to knock the guy, but his english is way beyond bad and I had a terrible time trying to understand what he was saying... so this probably added a lot to the confusion. Can't hold it against him cause if someone asked me to correspond in French or some other language, what I would be able to come up with would probably be A LOT worse. :roll:

This one looks legit to me

Anyway, as for me, those games should not be considered that much, these were primalary made for the BitCorp system... ok sure they share the same bios, but those games are simply overated

my two cents

Anyway, as for me, those games should not be considered that much, these were primalary made for the BitCorp system... ok sure they share the same bios, but those games are simply overated

my two cents

Back in the late '80's I did reviews of Cosmic Crisis, Strike It! and Tank Wars for the newsletter I edited and I remember I gave'em mediocre ratings. I really laid into Cosmic Crisis for just being a knockoff of Space Panic, but I did like Strike It! a lot more as there was only one other breakout style game available for the CV (Flipper Slipper by SpectraVideo) and I'm still a sucker for a good game of Breakout.

Edited by NIAD

my two cents

Back in the late '80's I did reviews of Cosmic Crisis, Strike It! and Tank Wars for the newsletter I edited and I remember I gave'em mediocre ratings. I really laid into Cosmic Crisis for just being a knockoff of Space Panic, but I did like Strike It! a lot more as there was only one other breakout style game available for the CV (Flipper Slipper by SpectraVideo) and I'm still a sucker for a good game of Breakout.

Right, Strike it! is actually a good game :)

Right, Strike it! is actually a good game :)

will Strike it! work with the steering wheel? If not maybe newcoleco could do a hack.

Never tried it out, but it might. It should work with the Roller Controller when the selector switch is set to joystick very nicely... gonna have to try it out.