IGNORED

Skull Island - Wood Case!

yuppicide

This could be the solution for the high cost of molds for plastic cartridge shells if it can be done cheaply enough. If buying common carts on the open market and stripping them to the bare plastic is still cheaper they may not catch on unless someone wants to make their carts stand out from the rest by offering the wood as a sort of premium packaging to people willing to pay a bit more for it, like have a standard edition of a game in plastic and a premium edition in wood.

I think it is really neat. I doubt anyone would want all their games to be wood or anything though.

Well, I hope to.. I have the cartridge until next Saturday and then I ship it back to the guy. Next Saturday is the NAVA meeting at the Digital Press store. Trade, sell, and play video games from noon until midnight. If anyone from the Jersey area wants to go there I'll be there with my cartridge hopefully. I'm going to call Joe to make sure the meeting is still on and see if he'll let me test the cartridge for fit in a few of his various Atari's.

Looks fantastic.

My vote would be to just burn an image of a skull. No name, not label, just a burnt in skull.

Can't wait for my wood.

Have you tested the wood in all Atari system models to make sure it fits correctly?

If not, send it to me and I'll run it through all of them just to make sure :)

Beautiful! I wonder, though. Bet that thin wood is fragile. Definitely more of a showpiece than an everyday player. :)

Honestly, I think it would be extremely cool to provide a service of converting people's favorite games to wood. So, I'd for instance, send a copy of Space invaders to you. You'd pull the ROM and install it in a wood case. Simply burn a big Atari symbol on the cart front, and the name of the game on the front and end. Simple, yet elegant. Something I'd definitely display proudly.

The wood he used was the strongest he'd tested. Some of the others would split. I'm guessing it won't be super strong and will be more of a showpiece too.

As for why he duplicated the holes.. I'm not sure. Maybe he likes perfection out of his work and wanted to duplicate it as best as possible?

When I picked a cartridge to send him, I asked Albert what would be the easiest to make. Albert said this style and that he didn't have to make the holes. I relayed that information to him. I'm cool either he way he wants to make them. I'm not too picky since he's giving them to me at a better price than the other guy I was originally going to use.

I will relay the information that he doesn't have to carve those holes, but if he's already set up to do that, I don't want him to change things. He made special tooling that took longer than the cartridge to make. He has it all set up so he can make exact duplicates.

I'll either be sending him my Atari or getting him one to test all the future carts on.

Alright. I have the prototype in my hands. I'll attach some new pics here (wow my Atari is dusty).

So far it's VERY VERY tight and I don't want to insert it any further into my 2600. I am realizing that this !WILL BE! a showpiece, and depending on final price for the wood, that I might package a regular version along with this. One to play, one to admire I guess.

I'll still have it for show at the upcoming NAVA meeting if it's still on, although we won't be able to use it. After the meeting I'll be shipping it back along with my Atari.

My thoughts:

1 - Is it possible to build a cartridge port extension cable I can package along with this?

post-6095-128811428762_thumb.jpg

post-6095-128811437846_thumb.jpg

post-6095-128811428887_thumb.jpg

post-6095-128811428933_thumb.jpg

post-6095-12881142868_thumb.jpg

PS - Yes I realized after I shot the pics I inserted the cart upside down.. I didn't insert it all the way anyway it was tight.. I was on my lunch break and had to be quick.

Edited by yuppicide

By the way, know what's really awesome about this cart? It weighs more. Feels really good in your hand. You know it's like holding a cartridge in one hand and a crappy CD/DVD in the other. The cartridge will be your favorite.

A normal cart weighs about 2.3 ounces. This comes in at 4.1 ounces currently.

I like it, but I really think you should tell him to hold off on the holes. They only cause problems. I know he was trying to be as accurate as possible, but the fact is that most carts don't have the holes. I doubt he would take offense to such a request and it would only make the fabrication process that much easier.

• 1 month later...