IGNORED

2-PORT 5200 CAN BE CONNECTED W/STANDARD CONNECTOR; PLZ VERIF

marty_rules2001

:? Help!

I have an Atari 2600, 5200 & 7800. The 5200 is a two-port system. I was under the impression that this system can be hooked up to the TV via the connector box used for the 2600 & 7800. However, when I did it, I started to play Pacman and about half way through the first board the screen went fuzzy and then to complete snow. I thought I toasted my switchbox but after I hooked the 7800 back up, that system worked fine. To ensure I didn't toast the 5200, I hooked it up again and only turned the system on to make sure it was still sending a signal. It was as the startup screen for the game displayed. I turned it off and wondered if I need to get my hands on the four-port connector box.

Any suggestions?

Marty

Cafeman,

I did just that over the weekend! It's brand new and I don't want to run the risk of burning it up (if that can even be done) and then not be able to use any of the three systems. The only thing I can think of is I have two power supplies - one from a 4-port system and one from the 2-port system. I don't know if that could have an affect or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Marty

You should use the 2-port power supply with the 2-port system, then run the 2-port's wired-in TV cable into the GAME part of the RF.

Are you sure the 5200 is set for the correct channel?

I've never heard of an RF getting burned up. Not sure that's possible.

The 4-port 5200 has its on RF, in which the power plugs directly into this unique RF itself. You shouldn't be using any of this for a 2-port system.

The RF switchbox for the 2 port is identical to the 2600 and 7800 switchbox, as the other guys have said. The 5200 power supplies are interchangable, it doesn't matter if it came with a 2 port or 4 port.

I think the most likely cause of the problem is a failing chip in the 2 port 5200. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the unit. Good luck.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Cafeman,

Back up a little!

1. How do I determine the difference between the 4-port and 2-port power supplies?

2. How do I determine if the 5200 is set for the correct channel? Is that the circle-and-box switch on the back? If so, which setting should I use? Could this contribute to it coming up, working for a few and then quickly fading to snow???

Marty

Okay, first ignore what I said about the power supply, I've been corrected by everyone -- they are the same (news to me!).

I am not looking at the 5200 right now, but isn't there a little switch where you select either channel 2 or 3 (or is it 3 or 4? one of those)? If you are using Channel 3 on the TV, you have to set it to channel 3 on the 5200, right? It's been a long time since I messed with these things.

It sounds like something is wrong with either your 5200 cable(s) or the system itself though. Does jiggling the 5200's cable (the one that goes into the RF) seem to improve or even affect the picture?

Cafeman,

That's just it - I connected it and turned it on and it came up fine. Then while playing (after only 5 minutes??) the screen started to fade to static and then went to complete static - all in about 5 seconds so it's not like the signal just up and died like it was disconnected. I also re-connected it after testing the 2600 & 7800 systems and it came back up but I didn't want to press my luck and possibly do damage to it or the rf box.

Marty

I had a similar problem with my old atari 2600. On my system at least, it turned out that the RF CONNECTOR itself was causing the problem. I spliced on a new one and the system worked fine again. Have you checked the wire that goes from your system to the switchbox for any cuts? That can also affect the image you see on the television.

Not the box, the male connector that actually plugs into the box. I have a few of those Radioshack boxes. They do not always work that well. I have one of the coxial plugs featured here:

http://www.atariage.com/store/Hardware.html

I get a much better image on the television through this. Although I couldn't get the plug to work with my 2600 for some reason. :(