IGNORED

Where to score chroma/luma cables?

wood_jl

Those cables are so nice, I just ordered a couple more. I highly recommend them for S-video and composite connections. Evidently, there is no interference through the cable piping regular composite and Y/C on the same cable; it all looks great!

Any chance you can post a couple pictures of these s-video cables? Are the cables on the Atari end pretty solidly attached?

Steve

I hope they are built solid :) I've only had one returned and that was I accidentally sent them a Sega Master System cable instead of an Atari 8-Bit AV Cable. I am working on expanding our cable selection and have recently ordered a bunch of parts including the separate chroma/luma cables mentioned above. Just finished the C64 S-Video cable and testing it right now. Also working on a Jaguar S-Video/Composite cable, Atari ST Composite Cable and a few others.

Thanks wood_jl for the kind words on our products. It is much appreciated! If anybody needs something specific, shoot me an email. I don't get to AtariAge very often anymore, but I lurk.

Hmm, I'd like to buy one, but $20 to ship a $10 cable to Canada, nah.

If there is a large difference in shipping, we give refunds. This usually happens when we can fit the item in a flat-rate box (Priority Mail Shipping). Our site calculates based on weight, not size so if we showed the flat-rate prices, of course everybody would select it because it was cheaper. Same for media mail, some of our stuff qualifies for media mail shipping, but we had customers select it even when the item didn't qualify. Anyway, we just sent two S-Video cables to Canada a week ago and I believe the total for shipping was under $11 for Priority Mail. We did refund the difference.

8bitclassics, if I click your links I get:

1 Apache 2 Test Page

2 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

3 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

4 Welcome to your website!This is the default index page of your website.

8bitclassics, if a click your links I get:

1 Apache 2 Test Page

Interesting, I don't. I will look into it.

1 Apache 2 Test Page

first 3 work for me, last one doesnt...

sloopy.

1 Apache 2 Test Page

I get exactly the same as Philsan :(

I know why. I just looked at your country of origin. Because of issues in the past with people trying to hack my site, I only currently allow North American IP addresses access to the site. At this point, I can't change it but I will be switching DNS providers which do allow more granular control over countries and will enable it again for countries that don't usually pose an issue. As for the last one, yup it is currently down, migrating to a new system with that one.

If you would like to order a cable, send me a PM with what you are looking for (item / quantity) and I will get you a quote with shipping and send you my PayPal.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but I had to do something to eliminate the threats.

Any chance you can post a couple pictures of these s-video cables? Are the cables on the Atari end pretty solidly attached?

Steve

Hi. Finally, back with pics!

Here is a pic - overall - of the S-video cable from 8bitclassics. It's a smooth cord, and it rolls up nicely. It has a nice, heavy feel to it. Where the individual leads break out of the casing, there's a shrink-fit stress-relief piece of tubing, which gives it a professional touch.

5031838622_0d62ac0371_b.jpg

One of the nicest things about it, is the [mono] audio feeds through both red and white audio plugs, to each side of your stereo TV. The plugs are all correctly color-coded (yellow for video).

5031223533_40311e1561_b.jpg

On the Atari end, things seem well made, as made evident through comparison with the shoddy Ebay-sourced cable I will post pics of below:

5031224011_5ceca449b8_b.jpg

5031840620_d0bb83b302_b.jpg

So that's the 8bit classics cable.

Now, what more logical to compare it to, than the previous "all in one" cable I bought, earlier in the year? This is from the now defunct " eBay Seller: atari-commodore-n-morestore1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] " seller on Ebay, that went awol and screwed everyone out of their money. Their feedback, btw http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=atari-commodore-n-morestore&ftab=AllFeedback

At least I got my money back (paypal refund) from my last order, but that doesn't help that of my 2 S-video cables, only this one remains. They were so shoddily-constructed (on the computer end, no less) that the Svideo lead "quit." And let's get one thing straight: I fully understand that 8-bit S-video cables are, inherently, rare. You can't get this at Walmart. I know that. Therefore, I can ASSURE you that I did not tug on the end and babied my cable. [sorry, I'm still mad at atari-commodore-n-mystore, even though they're defunct]

For comparison to the 8bitclassics cable, here's what they last produced:

5031225917_126cb74a65_b.jpg

It's a flat-style cable. Where the leads separate to S-video and video/audio, it just peels apart.

The ends have only one audio (red) and composite video's on the white plug. At least they were kind enough to write "V" in sharpie on it.

5031845062_301458e726_b.jpg

Of concern is the computer-end, where it's kind of stuffed in, and evidently not so well, since I had a failure. There's no taking it apart for repair, as it's all hot-glued. Maybe not a bad thing (hot glue) if it was connected properly the first time.

5031226671_525af6c3f6_b.jpg

5031227601_79f83f8bfc_b.jpg

So I'm really glad to be able to get the 8bitclassics cable. I'd have been glad to have *any* 8bit S-video cable on the market again, and a nice one is a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to trying my S-video cable with the 1702. IT WORKS!

I ordered 2 of each - the "breakout" S-video to chroma/luma splitters, and F-F S-video couplers.

So I had a little "scare" this wouldn't work. What's the likelihood of something as simple as an S-video coupler not working? Also, the colors are reversed on the "breakout" Y-cable; no big deal, the white to the red and the red to the white, on the back of the 1702.

Here's a picture of the whole stinkin' mess:

post-16281-12873775079_thumb.jpg

Perhaps 8-bit classics may come out with a little cable like this that doesn't need the F-F S-video coupler? The fact that I had a bad one speaks as to why minimizing adapters is a worthy goal. But it's awfully nice that any game system can now be hooked to this monitor, in S-video!

Now, what more logical to compare it to, than the previous "all in one" cable I bought, earlier in the year? This is from the now defunct " eBay Seller: atari-commodore-n-morestore1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] " seller on Ebay, that went awol and screwed everyone out of their money. Their feedback, btw http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=atari-commodore-n-morestore&ftab=AllFeedback

At least I got my money back (paypal refund) from my last order, but that doesn't help that of my 2 S-video cables, only this one remains. They were so shoddily-constructed (on the computer end, no less) that the Svideo lead "quit." And let's get one thing straight: I fully understand that 8-bit S-video cables are, inherently, rare. You can't get this at Walmart. I know that. Therefore, I can ASSURE you that I did not tug on the end and babied my cable. [sorry, I'm still mad at atari-commodore-n-mystore, even though they're defunct]

That's the exact same cable I have. Just like yours, the S-video end stopped working and now I'm stuck with composite. :( Right now I'm thinking of modding my 130XE with S-video and RCA jacks so I don't have to use a special cable anymore.

The fact that I had a bad one speaks as to why minimizing adapters is a worthy goal. But it's awfully nice that any game system can now be hooked to this monitor, in S-video!

That's why I always custom make, or have custom made cables for a specific monitor. direct connections always :)

• 10 months later...

I know why. I just looked at your country of origin. Because of issues in the past with people trying to hack my site, I only currently allow North American IP addresses access to the site. At this point, I can't change it but I will be switching DNS providers which do allow more granular control over countries and will enable it again for countries that don't usually pose an issue. As for the last one, yup it is currently down, migrating to a new system with that one.

If you would like to order a cable, send me a PM with what you are looking for (item / quantity) and I will get you a quote with shipping and send you my PayPal.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but I had to do something to eliminate the threats.

Is it possible to get two of these cables shipped to the UK?