IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

• 7 months later...

That's awesome! I tried it myself but I failed misserably. Yours turned out great!

The trick is 8x8 is usually too small and 8x16 is usually too tall. Feel free to experiment with different sizes on the 2600. Also, experiment with toggling your next pixel on and off. You can get a feel for whether the shape you want will appear by adding/subtracting the next pixel you want to draw.

• 4 weeks later...

Just made a multi colored sprite for Cody from

I think it's a demonstration that you CAN make recognizable characters within 8 pixels wide. Also, a good example of using mirroring instead of two sprites for animation.

msg-13304-0-04501100-1374870379.gifmsg-13304-0-73866600-1374866822.jpg

It uses negative space (the tie)

It uses contrasting colors (the skin tones before his hair and top/middle of his shirt)

It uses delineating colors (the grey just before his pants to indicate a belt)

It uses asymmetry both for animation and as a compromise due to low horizontal resolution

DISCLAIMER: I am obviously not a graphic artist! The technique and terminology I use apply strictly to my own exploration of Atari 2600 spriting.

Delineating colors are those that are spatially close yet intentionally, contrastingly different. Note the red in Codys shoes as opposed to the grey of his pants. Without resorting to more pixels or more black lines to separate the pants from the shoes I simply use contrasting colors. Your eyes pick out the different parts of the character without adding any more pixels.

Contrasting colors are similar in context but instead of separating parts of the character they blend them in or compromise when necessary. The top of Codys shirt is a darker grey to appear farther in the background. His shirt sleeves are a lighter grey to appear closer to the viewer. Both are technically grey but they complement each-other and provide depth. The bottom row of hair and top of Codys head are complimentary in that Codys forehead skin is closer in shade and color to brown. Too pink and he'd look like a skinhead. Too brown and it'd look like a barely shaved Wookie.

Note that the bottom of the tie (before the very tip) is intentionally black. That line can only have pink pixels so not adding more detail inside the tie is intentional. It looks like I'm not compromising when I really am. The sprite to the right shows how it'd look with the tie filled in. It just doesn't work.

Also, notice how mirroring or animation mitigates some of the limitations of 8 pixel wide sprites. There's no room for 3 pixel wide eyebrows so one of the eyes has 2 pixel wide ones. By alternating which eyebrow gets the full 3 pixels it evens things out for the viewer.

Some parts of the character are not symmetrical on purpose. Codys nose would be too big if it were evenly placed. Likewise Codys neck is off center. If it were four pixels wide it would look too thick (the movie actors neck is a little scrawny). Also, by making the neck a little off center it adds more movement and direction to the characters head for animation.

The key to animation on the Atari 2600 is to always find ways to make mirroring (sprite flipping) work for you. When I draw one side of a sprites body I always keep in mind what the other side should be doing to produce the "second frame" of animation.

• Like 1

Complimentary colors are colors that reside on opposite sides of the color wheel:

colourwheel01.gif

This is so named because these colors tend to stand out well from each other, yet they often look good together. You see it often in older games, such as Castlevania:

310303-castlevania-nes-screenshot-the-white-skeletons-can-throw-their.png

The warmer orange stands out as the clear foreground while the cooler blue recedes into the background.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...