IGNORED

Pre-Order Page is now up for 7800 Expansion Module

Curt Vendel

The overwhelming consensus was for the full expansion module and not for just a high score only module. I am making extra plastics, so perhaps after the initial rush of full XM1 modules go out, I will look at maybe doing a high score only version later.

Curt

Can I also preorder the "7800 High Score Modules CX-78HSM" somewhere yet?

I asked the same question in the other thread, but no one awnsered ...

The overwhelming consensus was for the full expansion module and not for just a high score only module. I am making extra plastics, so perhaps after the initial rush of full XM1 modules go out, I will look at maybe doing a high score only version later.

Curt

Can I also preorder the "7800 High Score Modules CX-78HSM" somewhere yet?

I asked the same question in the other thread, but no one awnsered ...

Thanks for the reply Curt. So, it is not sure, that the Highscore-Only Module will ever go in production?

Hi all...

Sorry I got this up late, was a busy weekend. Okay, I got the full payment Pre-order page up now, having trouble with the 50/50% Pre-order page, and I have an email to the storefront coders to see if I can get a solution otherwise I'll work something out tomorrow to get the 50% down Pre-Order going.

Again, to remind everyone - shipments are not until the end of November - I've put this is HUGE RED LETTERING at the bottom of the order page so there is no misunderstandings...

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=115

Thanks,

Curt

Wow units in stock has dropped from 191 to 139...has there been a rush of orders over the weekend? I would expect another rush once the box design is posted

It would be wonderful if we have gotten 52 orders, but I think the explanation is simpler. I'm guessing it was initially 200, not counting the orders he received prior to instating the counter and that he has slashed the projected quantity counter down to 150 to maybe shave some hundreds cost off of the batch order, reducing the number needed to reach parity by a few. So, probably 2 orders today, not 52 like we are hoping. Still probably need about 3 dozen or so on top of the couple thousand $ or so Curt has personally put into the project out of pocket that he's too modest to admit to. :)

Folks, if you've shown interest, you need to step up to the bar. Those who've put their money down, thank you, but it is in your interest to get the word out... we can do this. We're so close.. just need enough orders to pay off the tiller-man (those doing the tooling and production of the mold.) The rest we can do as it comes..

EDIT: Ah, Groovy has corrected the number, maybe we are far better off than my typical neurotic behavior would tend to believe.

Edited by AtariNerd

Started it at 300, revised it down to 250 so I could hold 50 for the 50% down, so I adjusted the quantities this weekend. That is why the huge drop...

Wow units in stock has dropped from 191 to 139...has there been a rush of orders over the weekend? I would expect another rush once the box design is posted

Does anyone know what it started at?

..Al

Folks, if you've shown interest, you need to step up to the bar.

Given the materials and time invested in this project, a price tag around $110 shipped is very reasonable, but it is still a lot of money. Especially when it isn't exactly clear what you can do with the module once you buy it. The high score and improved sound capabilities are nice, but I'm only interested in the module for one thing: the games it can play. So far all we know is that Dungeon! will run on it. Looks great, but I'd need close to ten strong games (not hacks) to justify spending the money.

I do love Atari though, so if I can find a halfway decent job by Thanksgiving, I'll probably pony up the dough for the module whether I can justify it to myself or not. :)

Folks, if you've shown interest, you need to step up to the bar.

Given the materials and time invested in this project, a price tag around $110 shipped is very reasonable, but it is still a lot of money. Especially when it isn't exactly clear what you can do with the module once you buy it. The high score and improved sound capabilities are nice, but I'm only interested in the module for one thing: the games it can play. So far all we know is that Dungeon! will run on it. Looks great, but I'd need close to ten strong games (not hacks) to justify spending the money.

I do love Atari though, so if I can find a halfway decent job by Thanksgiving, I'll probably pony up the dough for the module whether I can justify it to myself or not. :)

Sorry if I come across as a bit fanatical or pushy in my cheer-leading.. I'll try to tone it down some more. :) It IS a lot to ask of anyone going into it semi-blind, without knowing what will become of their investment.. $110 would buy quite a few old-school games. It's definitely an item that will have to show it's value and garner interest over time as it is developed for more; but it's also one that presents a bit of an odd situation and a challenge. Because it's getting a factory furbish, rather than as a bunch of hand-made one-offs, there is a certain need for money upfront to get things rolling; requiring a minimum order size to make Curt's investment pay itself back and not leave him in debt. Once the ball gets rolling, for certain parts of the process, there is no going back! Some parts may be delayed, but for a couple others, it's do or fail. These things are always a bit of a risk, so there is always a touch of jitters. I'm confidant in the project, though, and know it will go off without much of a hitch. It's obvious though, that I'm pretty stoked up about it, isn't it? :D So, I want to get past the nervous bits so that can cause issues, the big part getting enough money so that there are no major snags in the short-term. After that, I'll let Curt and his team do their work, checking in every once and a while. ;)

Most people buying into this early-on are enthusiasts, though, who see the value. The Hi-Score cartridge and it's abilities are a known quantity, what isn't known is all the other functions that this module provides. Though for a $30 premium over a HS cart it isn't that a great a risk, giving that that is the price of a single home-brew, alone.

Some people claim that the 7800 and it devotees are too small of a niche market to support such an item, unlike the various Nintendo or SEGA offspring or computer systems like the C64. I beg to differ. I think the systems most creative phase is ahead of it and what will come out of it, with innovations like these, will be it's most aspiring.

Edited by AtariNerd

Sorry if I come across as a bit fanatical or pushy in my cheer-leading.. I'll try to tone it down some more. :)

Heh, no problem. I understand what you're saying. I think it's great that people are still working on the 7800 and I literally cannot imagine the knowledge and effort that has gone into this project. More than anything, I'm debating with myself on whether or not I can pull the trigger on this right now.

I'm very interested in this module, and I fully intend to place my order as soon as I can, but my "hobby money" is tied up in my other projects, and I might not have any available until after some of those are finished. I suspect that a lot of us who are interested are just trying to find a way to work it into our finances. We'll come through, but we just need some time.

I'm very interested in this module, and I fully intend to place my order as soon as I can, but my "hobby money" is tied up in my other projects, and I might not have any available until after some of those are finished. I suspect that a lot of us who are interested are just trying to find a way to work it into our finances. We'll come through, but we just need some time.

Ditto, and xmas is coming so it squeezes any spare cash I may normally have, honestly I don't see myself being able to commit until the new year

Ditto, and xmas is coming so it squeezes any spare cash I may normally have, honestly I don't see myself being able to commit until the new year

I have been contacted over email about the 7800 expansion unit as i posted an item to the atari 8 bit usenet group. Question - the high score capability is battery backed, a guy is asking how long the battery will last?