IGNORED

Video modding service...

the-topdog

I have a friend who has 30 years experience in R&D who has expressed an interest to offer a composite or s-video modding service for Atari 2600's and other vintage platforms like the Intellivision and the Colecovision.

His questions are "Is there a demand for this service?" and "What is a reasonable price for the service?"

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by the-topdog

I think video mods will only become more and more desirable as time goes on. The Atari 2600 and 7800 "markets" are already pretty well covered by the mod kits that Longhorn Engineer offers, which in my experience are quire good. However, that's not to say that there isn't room for competition, and I certainly think there is a need for more upgrade options for the ColecoVision and (especially) the Intellivision systems.

Longhorn's prices, both for unassembled and preassembled kits as well as for installation, are pretty reasonable, so perhaps they can serve as a starting point.

The question is if modding an Atari 2600 is worth it... I mean, the unit was designed for antenna signal, the games are designed for it... and then you have people trying to plug this thing into those crappy LCD widescreens... always makes me laugh

Not only you damage the whole historical value by modifications, but you're also getting rid of the vintage original signal... I mean the graphics complexity is not that high so that you would need composite... there's no more details to uncover, more likely you will lose features...

If I want an "upgraded" (not vintage, not original) version of 2600, I can simply use a PC hardware and connect it through RGB to arcade CRT monitor, hook up USB gamepads and controls, and just smile...

The question is if modding an Atari 2600 is worth it... I mean, the unit was designed for antenna signal, the games are designed for it... and then you have people trying to plug this thing into those crappy LCD widescreens... always makes me laugh

Love my Coleco that is modded on my 40" :D

Some folks like to play on original hardware, but may only have a newer TV. As far as being designed for RF...that's not really true...RF is simply the delivery system that was in use in homes at the time. The 2600 is totally capable of composite video, it just wasn't necessary at the time to make it an option.

I think video mods will only become more and more desirable as time goes on. The Atari 2600 and 7800 "markets" are already pretty well covered by the mod kits that Longhorn Engineer offers, which in my experience are quire good. However, that's not to say that there isn't room for competition, and I certainly think there is a need for more upgrade options for the ColecoVision and (especially) the Intellivision systems.

Longhorn's prices, both for unassembled and preassembled kits as well as for installation, are pretty reasonable, so perhaps they can serve as a starting point.

I'd say there's definitely a demand for these services, especially for those of us that are not at all comfortable taking apart our systems. I'd much sooner pay someone who knows what they're doing and can clean, refurb and mod my systems, thereby hopefully ensuring many more years of classic gaming on all 4 of the systems you mentioned. Yurkie does a great series of mods for the CV to which I can attest, but as jaybird mentioned the INTV is desparately lacking mods.

Not only you damage the whole historical value by modifications, but you're also getting rid of the vintage original signal... I mean the graphics complexity is not that high so that you would need composite... there's no more details to uncover, more likely you will lose features...

If I want an "upgraded" (not vintage, not original) version of 2600, I can simply use a PC hardware and connect it through RGB to arcade CRT monitor, hook up USB gamepads and controls, and just smile...

I hear what you're saying, but hooking an Atari up to a flat screen TV doesn't look very nice without the modification. I just installed the LE Mod in my 7800 and I tell you what...my 2600 games look absolutely amazing through the S-Video Output. Can't play the 7800 games yet as there's something wrong with the board and the games are in B&W only. Waiting on a replacement board, but in the meantime, I can certainly enjoy playing my original hardware on a 32" HDTV with perfect clarity.

I can't wait for that remote/pause/reset mod to be done, also. Pause/reset your game via the keypad controller while sittin' on the couch.

I ass-u-me that is directed at me... I had the pleasure of rebuilding my dishwasher recently, MUCH higher priority. And I had to work on old rusty Fords on the weekend (not mine), when I was hoping to work on Atari, funny thing, both were 1978...

I mean, the unit was designed for antenna signal, the games are designed for it... and then you have people trying to plug this thing into those crappy LCD widescreens... always makes me laugh

Not all of us have HDTVs, you know. Even if I only have an SDTV, I'd love to get the cleanest, purest picture I can out of real hardware. I don't understand why you would want to use RF other than for nostalgic reasons.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 2

I can't wait for that remote/pause/reset mod to be done, also. Pause/reset your game via the keypad controller while sittin' on the couch.

I ass-u-me that is directed at me... I had the "pleasure" of rebuilding my dishwasher recently, MUCH higher priority. And I had to work on old rusty Fords on the weekend (not mine), when I was hoping to work on Atari, funny thing, both were 1978...

There. I "ass-u-me" I fixed it. :)

I ass-u-me that is directed at me... I had the "pleasure" of rebuilding my dishwasher recently, MUCH higher priority. And I had to work on old rusty Fords on the weekend (not mine), when I was hoping to work on Atari, funny thing, both were 1978...

There. I "ass-u-me" I fixed it. :)

No, No, there was no sarcasm intended. It was a pleasure. I was getting totally frustrated with hand washing the myriad of the glasses and spoons my kids go through! (We've been hitting the paper plates pretty hard) I spent most of the previous Saturday ripping it apart and putting back together several times checking things. Once I ordered the new pump assy., To use a term I learned from my Dad, "It is now on a zipper", meaning I learned the tricks pretty good, and can do it quick now.

I ass-u-me that is directed at me... I had the pleasure of rebuilding my dishwasher recently, MUCH higher priority. And I had to work on old rusty Fords on the weekend (not mine), when I was hoping to work on Atari, funny thing, both were 1978...

There. I ass-u-me I fixed it. :)

No, No, there was no sarcasm intended. It was a pleasure. I was getting totally frustrated with hand washing the myriad of the glasses and spoons my kids go through! (We've been hitting the paper plates pretty hard) I spent most of the previous Saturday ripping it apart and putting back together several times checking things. Once I ordered the new pump assy., To use a term I learned from my Dad, "It is now on a zipper", meaning I learned the tricks pretty good, and can do it quick now.

Ah; in that case, I hereby revoke my "fix" of your post, and have further "fixed" my comment, thusly: I have removed the quotes from my comment, transforming my figurative ass-ness into literal ass-ness. This [hopefully] corrects and concludes my total FUBAR of the affected material. :D

Ah; in that case, I hereby revoke my "fix" of your post, and have further "fixed" my comment, thusly: I have removed the quotes from my comment, transforming my figurative ass-ness into literal ass-ness. This [hopefully] corrects and concludes my total FUBAR of the affected material. :D

LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to see some modding service / kit or otherwise to HDMI as composite and s-video will become less common.

How about your buddy work on the HDMI mod for the Atari consoles maybe, ie: 2600, 5200 and 7800 for starters?

It would probably be better to just stick with S-Video from the console, and to use an external Composite/S-Video-to-HDMI converter. Building a mod kit for an Atari that can output directly to HDMI would probably amount to building the equivalent of an external converter inside the console, which would be very expensive and unusable for anything else; with an external unit, you can at least use it with other consoles.

I'd like to see some modding service / kit or otherwise to HDMI as composite and s-video will become less common.

How about your buddy work on the HDMI mod for the Atari consoles maybe, ie: 2600, 5200 and 7800 for starters?

It would probably be better to just stick with S-Video from the console, and to use an external Composite/S-Video-to-HDMI converter. Building a mod kit for an Atari that can output directly to HDMI would probably amount to building the equivalent of an external converter inside the console, which would be very expensive and unusable for anything else; with an external unit, you can at least use it with other consoles.

Really? I had no idea how complicated it would be. So which would give you the shapest picture quality? s-video or composite if you were looking at only 1 mod.