IGNORED

Droid800: Android phones A8 emulator

Philsan

Looks awesome, the interface is very nice. Unfortunately, my 1st generation Droid (overclocked to 800MHz) cannot quite run it at 100% :sad: Maybe if I kill some background tasks, it is SO close.

So, an XPeria Play or similar last-gen Android phone is needed? Or will fiddling around with the options (frameskip, sound, PAL vs. NTSC mode) alleviate that problem? I thought of purchasing a used Milestone (the European version of the Droid) myself, but not being able to emulate Atari in 100% speed on it (as opposed to e.g. a Dingoo) discourages me somewhat.

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

Looks awesome, the interface is very nice. Unfortunately, my 1st generation Droid (overclocked to 800MHz) cannot quite run it at 100% :sad: Maybe if I kill some background tasks, it is SO close.

So, an XPeria Play or similar last-gen Android phone is needed? Or will fiddling around with the options (frameskip, sound, PAL vs. NTSC mode) alleviate that problem? I thought of purchasing a used Milestone (the European version of the Droid) myself, but not being able to emulate Atari in 100% speed on it (as opposed to e.g. a Dingoo) discourages me somewhat.

Thorsten

I tried frameskip, set sound sampling rate to 22050 8-bit, NTSC, and turned off all options such as filtering. I could not get it to run at a steady 100%. When it dropped, it was instantly noticeable by the sound playback. I am not sure if killing a few of the background processes would help - I think the phone just doesn't have the grunt needed.

I have been promised a Droid 2 1.2GHz to play with at work - I will test it hopefully tomorrow.

*** EDIT ***

I turned off my live wallpaper, and killed all background tasks before running the emulator, and it is much better. Running Colourspace, it's been bouncing between 103% and 98%, with a very rare dip to 94%. Still not quite good enough for most things with sound. With it being this close, I may look into running a modded kernel which will allow be to bump the CPU up to 1.2GHz this weekend.

Stephen

I turned off my live wallpaper, and killed all background tasks before running the emulator, and it is much better. Running Colourspace, it's been bouncing between 103% and 98%, with a very rare dip to 94%. Still not quite good enough for most things with sound. With it being this close, I may look into running a modded kernel which will allow be to bump the CPU up to 1.2GHz this weekend.

1.2GHz may damage the CPU of the Droid, at least that's what's claimed here (scroll down the page to read it). 1.1GHz is the highest speed recommended by that site, but that already is nearly twice as fast as the stock Milest^WDroid.

I am eagerly awaiting your test results! Good work!

Thorsten

• 4 weeks later...

Hi from a newbie. I found this thread while googling for info on Atari 8 bit emulators on Android.

I've managed to get Droid800 to run fine on my new LG 3D phone (dual core) with the frame drop set to zero, and have that connected to my 42" lcd TV via the phones HDMI connection.

I'm also using a "Zeemote" bluetooth joystick connected to the phone with the "bluez IME" app. If you want to use one of these you need to set the fire button to emulate the "left Alt" key and another button set to "space" to pause games. Set the others to "mute" as the default button settings cause the emulator to crash. The joystick works without needing to alter anything.

Does anyone know which of the keyboard keys I can use to work as the "Start" button?

I thought maybe some of you guys might be interested in seeing it? I put a video of it working on youtube here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB_U1_EQKpk

Pete

Looks like both have been suspended from the Android market due to the ongoing problems with Atari enforcing its trademark.

Good thing I downloaded new copies a couple of weeks ago when I switched to a new HTC for personal use from the one work gave me (and yes I deleted Droid800 from the Evo before I gave it back. ;) ).

THank you.

Could you please test Atari800 too?

I can't find a link to this in .apk version, give me a link and I'll try it. It works with my other emulators so I'm sure it will.

Pete

You'll find it here:

http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/atari800/android/ --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/atari800/files/

THank you.

Could you please test Atari800 too?

I can't find a link to this in .apk version, give me a link and I'll try it. It works with my other emulators so I'm sure it will.

Pete

You'll find it here:

http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/atari800/android/ --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/atari800/files/

Been there before, I can find Linux, Dos, Mac versions but no apk android version?

The market version has been removed too.

Pete

Edited by Mad_Sunday

Well eventually I tried Atari800 but cannot get my head around it. My phone has no physical buttons at all, so trying to use the interface is virtually impossible. I can't even load a rom file and gave up. The Droid800 emulator works flawlessly so I don't need to carry on pulling my hair out trying to get Atari800 running. Sorry.

I still can't find another key to work as a "START" button, anyone know if any other key on the keyboard will work?

Pete

Edited by Mad_Sunday

Well eventually I tried Atari800 but cannot get my head around it. My phone has no physical buttons at all, so trying to use the interface is virtually impossible. I can't even load a rom file and gave up. The Droid800 emulator works flawlessly so I don't need to carry on pulling my hair out trying to get Atari800 running. Sorry.

I still can't find another key to work as a "START" button, anyone know if any other key on the keyboard will work?

Pete

Have you really tried Atari800 by Kostas Nakos?

Perhaps you tried the other Atari800 emulator.

To load a rom you only have to touch menu and then Open button.

EDIT

Perhaps you cannot use menu button because your phone doesn't have it.

But LG Optimus 3d has the 4 Android buttons.

And if you don't have buttons, how do other apps works with your phone?

Many apps use menu button.

Edited by Philsan

Pete

Have you really tried Atari800 by Kostas Nakos?

Perhaps you tried the other Atari800 emulator.

To load a rom you only have to touch menu and then Open button.

EDIT

Perhaps you cannot use menu button because your phone doesn't have it.

But LG Optimus 3d has the 4 Android buttons.

And if you don't have buttons, how do other apps works with your phone?

Many apps use menu button.

I used one from the links supplied above, it is Atari800-SDL

It has no "physical" buttons but has 4 touch sensitive ones........ menu, home, back and search.

Touching the menu button brings up a list of options, I can move the highlight bar onto the different options but can't select the option? What button is used to select the option? The only thing I can do to get out of the option menu is to press the home button and then kill the app!

Pete

Edited by Mad_Sunday

OK, 4 sensitive touch buttons like many Android phones (mine too).

When I press menu button I get a bar with 5 options: Open, Next Side, Keyboard, Preferences, Quit.

You only have to touch Open and select a rom.

I hope you'll be able to use this emulator because is based on latest Atari800 core and it is slightly faster than others.

It supports Wiimote too.