IGNORED

Most overrated games in your opinion

Animan

I am pretty sure this topic has been made before, but I don't want to resurrect some 7 year old topic, now.

Personally, I think the most overrated game is Space Harrier on the SMS. I really love Space Harrier as an arcade game (probably in my Top 10 favorite games of all time, even), but people just love to praise that weak port. Admit it, it sucks, and you know it!

Edited by Animan

I played some Panzer Dragoon Saga today for the first time--fully expecting it to be at least pretty good, if not '$200 worth' of great. I gave it about an hour, and I wasn't pleased at all. I didn't care for the art style, characters, story, scenery choices, movies or battle system.

It took me quite a while to warm up to chrono-trigger too, so I may have to give P D Saga another shot at a later point.

I played some Panzer Dragoon Saga today for the first time--fully expecting it to be at least pretty good, if not '$200 worth' of great. I gave it about an hour, and I wasn't pleased at all.

Really? Send it my way then! Just kidding.

Overrated game? I'll go with Final Fantasy VII. It's an amazing game. But VI is better.

I played some Panzer Dragoon Saga today for the first time--fully expecting it to be at least pretty good

Really? Send it my way then! Just kidding.

how to word this.

it...erm... "may or may not have been an entirely legitimate copy"

I agree about ff6 being better than ff7 even though 7 gets all the fuss. But even if it is overly hyped, at least it is still a pretty good game when it comes down to it.

Edited by Reaperman

Interesting that Panzer Dragoon is so expensive given it was a US launch title and should have been one of the most common games. (it was the closest thing the system had to a killer app for the US launch... maybe Daytona)

From what I've heard from some hardcore Saturn fans, Panzer Dragon Zwei is the one to get though it looks a bit less in my taste than the first game or Orta (I tend to like pure flying stuff in that context), it definitely seems like an interesting, more complex, more detailed, and generally more advanced game. (both in terms of game design and in pushing the graphics and sound)

Interesting that Panzer Dragoon is so expensive given it was a US launch title and should have been one of the most common games. (it was the closest thing the system had to a killer app for the US launch... maybe Daytona)

The first one isn't expensive (Several $15 - $20 BINS on eBay right now, others that are less on auctions about to end soon). You may be mixing it up with Saga, the RPG (the expensive one). It was one of the last few games released for the Saturn by Sega in the US.

From what I've heard from some hardcore Saturn fans, Panzer Dragon Zwei is the one to get though it looks a bit less in my taste than the first game or Orta (I tend to like pure flying stuff in that context), it definitely seems like an interesting, more complex, more detailed, and generally more advanced game. (both in terms of game design and in pushing the graphics and sound)

Orta was the best for me when it came to the original-style Panzer Dragoons.. It took the whole formula and beefed it up heavily. Multiple paths, crazy boss fights, excellent visuals, soundtrack and mood.. It borrowed a lot from Zwei though and built upon that. But, Zwei took what the first game brought to the table, and built upon it, adding new things like multiple paths, a changing dragon, smoother and more impressive visuals with a faster framerate, and a continuing story that is just as interesting as the first game's. Zwei definitely blows the first game away, IMO (the original is still great though), and it's still just pure-flying--I'm not sure where you heard Zwei is anything else. Only Panzer Dragoon Saga branched off into a different style of play. :)

I'll raise some eyebrows but I've always found pitfall a little over rated. I do like it but I don't think its fantastic or a top 10 or anything like that. There are a lot of 2600 Activision titles I'd put ahead of it.

I'll also include all those Super Mario and Sonic games. I can't stand 'em

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 2

I know I'll get shot down for these, but I don't care, it's my opinion...

Any of the megaman games, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Just too damn hard in my opinion.

Try playing through "Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts" with the crossbow. Seriously, it makes it so much easier to take out the red gargoyles. By the time you have to use the crappy ring weapon on the second pass, you'll have gotten good enough to not need the crossbow.

Any of the Super Mario games. I hate them.

I think if they happened to be on Atari rather than Nintendo consoles, you'd love them.

I bet I wouldn't. I don't like platformers in general and the fact I find Mario himself so irritating just makes it worse.

I am a massive Lynx fan but Scrapyard Dog is one of my least favourite games for the machine and the fact its so much like Mario has alot to do with that.

I think if they happened to be on Atari rather than Nintendo consoles, you'd love them.

I bet I wouldn't. I don't like platformers in general and the fact I find Mario himself so irritating just makes it worse.

I am a massive Lynx fan but Scrapyard Dog is one of my least favourite games for the machine and the fact its so much like Mario has alot to do with that.

Crap. So much for my theory then. :lol:

Please forgive my presumptuousness.

Edited by mbd30

I'm in on Pitfall.. even back in the day. I was wowed by the graphics when I saw the commercial, but when it, it just wasn't as fun as I was expecting it to be. This happened for a lot of Activision games actually.

The real crime of it though is that it totally made me ignore Pitfall 2 when it came out. It wasn't until I was much older I finally tried it out and it was like "WHOAH".. I would have totally loved it when I was a kid! :(

I'd say whatever new First Person Shooter is hot on the market, as over-rated. This is not to call them "bad." They're just over-rated, not much more fun than the previous iteration (which is good/fun too). New gimmicks on an old formula. Over-rated.

Not owning a modern console, I can honestly say I can't tell one from the other - Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, whether its sequel 3,4,5,6,7, etc. They all look the same to me.

I agree with the sentiments of the 1st person shooters of today. There's a ton of games (and systems for that matter) I feel or have felt are overrated. Off the top of my head:

2600's Pitfall!

Any of these modern 'The Sims' games

Any Sonic game on any system

Any Megaman games

ALL of the SNK Neo*Geo fighting games

Any Metal Gear game on any system

Any Resident Evil games

Super Mario Kart for SNES - blech

Any Kirby game

Any Metroid game

Any Smash Bros. game

Shenmue I and II

Shadow of the Beast (any of 'em on any platform)

Any modern MMORPG (Star Trek looks pretty cool however)

Red Dead Redemption

PS3 and the XBox 360 in general

ANY handheld game systems from any era (I think they're all junk really)

Cirqus Voltaire, Twilight Zone, Medieval Madness pinball machines

Edited by save2600

Body Harvest N64 -- NOT a lost classic.

Excite Bike 64 -- So boring. Why this was rated 9 and above by much of the gaming media is unfathomable to me.

F-Zero X -- Way too many cars on the track, bland graphics that really DON'T convey a sense of speed, and horrible, horrible music. I only like the original SNES game in this series. In fact, the original F-Zero maybe the only futuristic racing game I care for, as it seems every futuristic racer since F-Zero X has been the same exact thing--generic visual vomit served up as fast as the console can hork it. Adding guns only makes it worse. What a shame.

Goldeneye -- Not a bad game for its time, I guess. But the greatest FPS ever? NO! And it's not aging well either.

Megaman X -- This just wasn't my kind of game, I guess. Don't understand the appeal of this at all.

Super Mario 64 -- This game is heralded as being at the vanguard of the 3D paradigm shift, even though it really wasn't, so I understand where the hyperbole is coming from. But as a game, Mario 64 is incredibly tedious. I love the 2D Marios, but I haven't touched the franchise since this chore of a game.

Hot Shots Golf -- So annoying.

GTA Vice City -- You can do whatever you want in this game! Might as well because the ACTUAL game here isn't any fun to play.

The Early Tomb Raider games -- I just couldn't get past the control.

Zelda: LttP -- Probably not a bad game for what it is, but I don't understand how anyone who's ever played a real RPG can sit through this. Sorry.

Half-Life 2 -- Desperately needed a cohesive plot. Absolutely drags in the second half. Even the gravity gun can't save it.

Guitar Hero -- Urghhhhh...

Call of Duty Modern Warfare -- Heavily scripted action, infinite respawns, poor level design with too many arena levels in single player. Really disappointing that this game has become the template for all subsequent FPS. :(

MGS 2 -- Broken gameplay and pretentious pointless philosophizing. And gay vampires. Another franchise I haven't bothered with since this disaster.

Super Mario Kart -- Pitiful graphics, non-existent gameplay. This game's status as a legend maxes my incredulity meter.

Gateway to Apshai -- This is what this is!?!

Diddy Kong Racing -- Who plays these games!?!

Here are the games from the pre-crash era that I think are the most overrated (I don't have enough experience with the newer games):

Pitfall!: It looks great, and we all know it was a groundbreaker, but there just isn't enough "game" there for it to hold my attention. Pitfall! II was a significant improvement, but even that didn't offer as much replay value as I would have liked. Both titles could have used some more random elements to make the gameplay more varied.

Megamania: For some reason, this is a major fan favorite, but I found it to be superficial and boring. A spaceship shooting wave after monotonous wave of (mostly unrecognizable) household items? I couldn't stay interested for more than the first few levels. I think "rose-colored glasses nostalgia" is driving a lot of the affection for this one.

Beauty and the Beast: This is another major fan favorite, this time on the Intellivision, but it's too flawed for me to really enjoy it (I discussed my reasons for saying so here). With a bit more polish, better jumping physics, and without those damn airplane fly-by interludes, it could have been a much better game. Again, I think this one is a beneficiary of nostalgia.

Personally, I think the most overrated game is Space Harrier on the SMS. I really love Space Harrier as an arcade game (probably in my Top 10 favorite games of all time, even), but people just love to praise that weak port. Admit it, it sucks, and you know it!

I never knew SMS Space Harrier was so highly rated.

I rather enjoy Space Harrier on SMS, it and Afterburner are my most played SMS games!

Agreed. I also enjoy the SMS version of OutRun.

I played some Panzer Dragoon Saga today for the first time--fully expecting it to be at least pretty good, if not '$200 worth' of great. I gave it about an hour, and I wasn't pleased at all. I didn't care for the art style, characters, story, scenery choices, movies or battle system.

That I can agree on. I somewhat like Panzer Dragoon, but IMO it isn't worth all of the hype.

Overrated game? I'll go with Final Fantasy VII.

Yeah... FF7 was a huge disappointment when I first started playing it. I warmed up to it in time, but it has never risen to the level of high regard that many have for it.

I'll raise some eyebrows but I've always found pitfall a little over rated. I do like it but I don't think its fantastic or a top 10 or anything like that. There are a lot of 2600 Activision titles I'd put ahead of it.

Agreed. I like Pitfall, but it only gets played about once a year.

I don't hate them, but I've always found the Super Mario titles to be somewhat dull. They've never held my interest more than a few hours a year.

I'd say whatever new First Person Shooter is hot on the market, as over-rated. This is not to call them "bad." They're just over-rated, not much more fun than the previous iteration (which is good/fun too). New gimmicks on an old formula. Over-rated.

I find this to be true with many modern games. I am willing to forgo the improved hi-tech presentation for straightforward controls and a shorter learning curve. I play games to have fun, not to spend an hour on tutorials and watch hours of cutscenes.

Halo was cool (I liked Bungie's earlier Marathon better), but it's another series that has grown tired.

IMO the GT series has also worn thin. I love racers, but I have just as much fun playing GT 1-3. The PSP version of GT was 4 years too late in arriving and far from worth the wait, and I've found myself enjoying many other PSP racers more. Even GT1 is more fun playing on the PSP than the official PSP version of the game.

I've never understood the hype over the Need for Speed series. The first few titles were cool for their time, but were massively overshadowed pretty quickly by other racers. Since then I have no idea how that series has stayed around because I can always find another racer that I enjoy much more.

I got to disagree with a lot of the things you posted, save2600. Whatever you are smoking, I want some if it. :P :lol:

Just the occasional Gambler Cigar :)

post-13896-128734130332_thumb.jpg

...and yeah, I know a lot of people will disagree with that list - but I never claimed to have totally understood just what makes the mainstream tick. Lot's of mysteries abound why people and things are the way they are. :lol:

The fact that Football is sooooooo popular is another one of those infernal mysteries to me. I just don't get it. The sport is comprised primarily of overpaid, over-excercised, over-sized African-Americans running around a field playing catch and tackling each other. Managed by overpaid aging white guys with bad tempers that seem to still be stuck at a high school level emotionally. Same exact phenomenon with Basketball. Yet, people never seem to run out of word vomit talking about these sports all_day_long. And then it's everywhere when you go out: ESPN blaring at you. Guys in suits this time, pretending they're real news anchors or something, talking about a bunch of nonsensical stats and recapping ALL of the silliness you might have missed or don't care about. :rolling:

Edited by save2600
  • Like 3