IGNORED

Most overrated games in your opinion

Animan

So after looking at everybody's 'top psp game list,' including ign's #1 of all time, I tried Metal Gear solid Peace walker.

Not only do I not feel that this is a great game, I don't feel it's any fun at all. Is it even a game?

(cutscene)

hand-to-hand combat tutorial

(cutscene(s?) including 1970's central american history lesson and oddly-placed underage x-ray shot)

weapon tutorial

(cutscene with recap of previous cutscenes and maps)

sneaking tutorial

(cutscene)

sneak across the parking lot

(cutscene--with quick-time events to ensure that I'm paying attention)

--and then I finally quit.

This poor schmuck can't walk more than a block before another wordy, mind-crushingly boring, cutscene. About the second cutscene the wife informed me that my video game was boring as hell and that I should just stop. "nooooooo" I say, "it's metal gear--it will get better--oh shoot, I think they're making coffee, buckle in for another long one."

I'm used to metal gear games jumping the shark at the end, but this one is nothing but shark-jumping. Maybe everybody involved should have gone back to the first psx mgs title, and had a good look at what a "video game" is.

I hear they're releasing the next Metal Gear game as a Power Point plugin.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Well what did you think of the actual gameplay then?

awkward controls were easy to notice--I picked the only control scheme that made real sense to me, and even it was pretty bad. Switching weapons and items is especially painful (and important). Camera management is a full time job in the game as well. Graphics are incredible though. Konami seems to have polished their turd until I could see my face in it.

Not that gameplay really mattered--I didn't get very far, and it felt like I dumped an hour+ into it. maybe 25% of that was gameplay. I fought some buddies on a beach, shot a coconut, and snuck through about 50m of woods and across a small parking lot. That's about an hour in 'metal gear time.' I spent about the same amount of time playing the game as I did with the 'watching snake try to light his cigar' cutscene.

Today I watched the IGN video review of it. How much did konami have to pay for the reach-around?

Edited by Reaperman

All 1 on 1 fighting games, most notably the Mortal Kombat series. I simply cannot understand how anyone can play these games.

Boobs? It's the primary thing that keeps me interested in them.

Not MK though, I can't stand those either. The animation isn't fluid enough, which is extremely important for boob-gaming.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

All 1 on 1 fighting games, most notably the Mortal Kombat series. I simply cannot understand how anyone can play these games.

Boobs? It's the primary thing that keeps me interested in them.

Not MK though, I can't stand those either. The animation isn't fluid enough, which is extremely important for boob-gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvyP52-2M8

king of fighters, also over rated ... but I've come to the conclusion I hate most snk fighters.

Heh. Going to computer games for a moment. I bought the original Outpost based on game reviews in magazines. It was an awful game. I started being a lot more wary after that. What was that, 94. Outpost was overrated. Literally. And they admitted it too.

As a former Sierra employee, I completely agree with you on Outpost. We made fun of this game in the office because it shipped so broken and incomplete. Same thing with King's Quest 7. It was the beginning of the end for Sierra.

We made fun of this game in the office because it shipped so broken and incomplete. Same thing with King's Quest 7. It was the beginning of the end for Sierra.

Such a shame, too. They were an amazing company back in the mid-'90s.

Mid 90s?...I didn't pay attention to anything Sierra did after 1994: the last thing I noticed was whatever KQ game (I think 6?) that was on the then-new 486 tech...after I played Doom, I knew I had seen the future! I loved the original Space Quest and KQ3, though...I still like watching them on youtube, memories.

I am pretty sure this topic has been made before, but I don't want to resurrect some 7 year old topic, now.

Personally, I think the most overrated game is Space Harrier on the SMS. I really love Space Harrier as an arcade game (probably in my Top 10 favorite games of all time, even), but people just love to praise that weak port. Admit it, it sucks, and you know it!

I love Space Harrier on the SMS

I play it all the time

What I dont understand is how it is overrated? Almost every review I have seen of SH on the SMS says it is a horrible game that is un-playable

• Like 1

Before anyone gets mad by reading this, this game I'm about to mention is still good but very overrated. Alien Vs Predator on the Jaguar. I'm not sure what magazines rated the game back in the day, but now it seems that every review says the game is way better than it really is.

The marine mode annoys me because it's not really straight foward. You spend so much time looking for the security cards. I don't mind looking for things in games, but with this game the cards are required to advance, and they arn't easy to find at all, especially when you have to get the cards in order. The marine mode should have been just simple point a to point b, with actual levels, and maybe occasional card finding.

The alien mode is annoying because your constantly getting killed by the marines. If your careful you would have cocooned the marines while killing them. When you start to play as the hatched alien after getting killed, your having to go past the same parts you already past which is annoying and repeative. Usually when passing where you've been you either get lost, or sidetracked. It's also really easy to get lost in the vents. It seems like right when your getting someware, you get killed.

The predator mode is annoying because sometimes when you start a new game, your already getting shot at. It's tedious with the weapon system. You get honor by killing things, with the honor you get new weapons. You can only get honor by killing things when not invisible, and if you kill things while not invisible it's so easy to die. Your most likely going to get killed before you get all of the weapons anyway, so if you arn't obsessively saving the game, your going to have to start all over each time.

The game is still fun, but not as good as it's made out to be.

Karateka --I get the feeling that it's one of those games you had to play 'back in the day' to get any enjoyment out of, and even then it was mostly a tech demo.

That's a good one. I played Karateka back in the day, and didn't like it then. I've tried to play it again in the last couple years and still don't like it. It may have looked good, but I never enjoyed the game play.

Karateka --I get the feeling that it's one of those games you had to play 'back in the day' to get any enjoyment out of, and even then it was mostly a tech demo.

I have the same issues with Prince of Persia, which isn't too surprising.

I didn't have "Karateka" back in the day, but I lusted after it from looking at screenshots, etc. "Yie Ar Kung Fu" was my favorite arcade game. I loved martial arts/fighting games.

I really wanted the 7800 version but now I'm glad that my parents never bought it for me.

Angry Birds. Seriously?

Yars Revenge, which I still cannot figure out how to play.

E.T., is it really so terrible as to be immortalized?

Mario 64 and Ocarina; I have made many efforts to get into both, but end up losing interest. Give me Galaxy any day.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, not because it was a major departure from the series, but because it sucked.

Yars Revenge, which I still cannot figure out how to play.

Ocarina; I have made many efforts to get into both, but end up losing interest. Give me Galaxy any day.

@ yars: its time to read the instruction manual, if you just don't know how to play, then your missing out...

@ Ocarina: yeah, the same here. I got the 3d version though, and I liked that a lot more.