IGNORED

Atari-Forum.com...

Willsy

Let's be clear, there appears to be two issues here.

Most fundamentally, the site itself has gone 'pop', somehow the files that comprise the Atari-Forum have vanished from the webserver hosting it. I cannot explain how this has possibly happened but then I'm not familiar with how "250 host" (or whoever they are) manages slices.

Secondly (assuming the first is resolved), there appears to be a filter in place at BT that affects all sites hosted by the same hosting company used by Atari Forum. Some users have reported success with the approach of using OpenDNS in order to circumvent this, however this is clearly far from ideal.

There are other factors to consider here, the most important of which is cost. I'm not sure how much space the AF consumes (database and attachments must consume a lot) but I'd imagine hosting such a site on shall we say. A more 'reputible' host provider will cost serious money to maintain. This puts us in the realms of a subscription model - a scenario that immediately alienates all but the true Atari enthusiasts. We aren't a large community to start with so this is a bad idea.

If anyone here can come forward and categorically state that they can provide hosting for a potentially huge site (must be gigabytes to support all the attachments over the years) and this can be provided for as close to £0 as possible, then please come forward with your offer and I will present it with a strong argument to those who can make it happen.

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-unlimited-webspace.php

Cheers - it's an option however we may have someone in the community who can host it.

I'm also a little sceptical of those hosts who offer "too good to be true" unlimited hosting packages - it either becomes a limited offer (as they haemorrhage money and need to start charging) or they simply go bankrupt and disappear...

Have you had sites hosted by them?

I'd be wary of free hosts - as an example the first site on the list promises unlimited bandwidth - but for the first 2000 visitors a month !

I might be able to help but I don't want to step on anyone's toes as atari-forum.com is not my baby. If you do get stuck then drop me a pm - but I'm sure there are a lot of people already eager to step in and assist.

I'd be wary of free hosts - as an example the first site on the list promises unlimited bandwidth - but for the first 2000 visitors a month !

I might be able to help but I don't want to step on anyone's toes as atari-forum.com is not my baby. If you do get stuck then drop me a pm - but I'm sure there are a lot of people already eager to step in and assist.

I think we're on the same page mate. Thanks for the offer - if current rumblings don't come to fruition, we'll chat.

Update!

I have provisionally organised some hosting (massive thanks to Graeme who is hosting Atari Legend). This will solve the issue with 250 host filters in place with BT and Virgin Media.

Silver Surfer has got back to me with the following:

Hi darren,

This sounds really good!

I have desperatly been trying to get in touch with the current host but I am not having luck with that.

Now I really just want to get our stuff from their servers, this doesn't feel good at all... :)

And you are entirely correct with the fact that my time these days to manage the forum i very limited. Since moving house I only have a computer workstation at work and some limited access with the family media center. So for the time being it would be alot better if I had more of backseat role with the forum.

I'll keep trying to get in touch with host get our stuff away from there. One would really think that support would be better considering I am paying $24 each month! :(

Thanks!

So, once we get the site back from 250 Host then we can move forward with the restore and re-hosting.

Fingers crossed people.

Most fundamentally, the site itself has gone 'pop', somehow the files that comprise the Atari-Forum have vanished from the webserver hosting it. I cannot explain how this has possibly happened but then I'm not familiar with how "250 host" (or whoever they are) manages slices.

Ouch :( Does that mean that the whole database might be lost? Hope that Silver keeps one of his backups safely, so that in the worst case only the last activity is lost.

Ouch :( Does that mean that the whole database might be lost? Hope that Silver keeps one of his backups safely, so that in the worst case only the last activity is lost.

Well let's not speculate - Silver is on the case with the host provider, as soon as I have any news ('good' or 'not quite so good'), I will post back!

no, still on de blink... It says, it is re-indexing the database (whatever that is)

Yes - Silver Surfer has taken the database offline for some maintenance. However the site as a whole is up (where it most certainly wasn't before). It will take about 3 hours or so before the database is back online and the Forum can be used again.

• 3 weeks later...