IGNORED

Sony's plan for backwards compatibility?

xg4bx

I must declare that I make a bigger deal about the removal of the B/C than I should. It's just irritating that they'd remove features.

Although irritated, I must agree with those who think it's not a big deal. [uh, looks like I have a hard time choosing a position on this one. I'd make a fine politician.]

I don't really use the backward compatibility of my Playstation 2, but I'm glad it's there. I keep an old Playstation hooked up. I have a bin with some extra PS1s in them, and I decided to "keep the miles off" my PS2 by using it to play only PS2 games and using the PS1 to play those games, thereby distributing the wear and MTBF amongst the systems. I've never had a "disc read error" with my original big-box PS2, a 39001 model.

I suppose when I get a PS3 I'll do the same. At least they kept PS1 compatibility, right?

Although irritated, I must agree with those who think it's not a big deal. [uh, looks like I have a hard time choosing a position on this one. I'd make a fine politician.]

What you mean to say is, you were for BC before you were against it. ;-)

I was for the 73 million (for Iraq), before I was against it.

HA HA HA!! :) :) :)

Thanks for giving me a laugh, O clever one!

I must declare that I make a bigger deal about the removal of the B/C than I should. It's just irritating that they'd remove features.

I don't really use the backward compatibility of my Playstation 2, but I'm glad it's there. I keep an old Playstation hooked up. I have a bin with some extra PS1s in them, and I decided to "keep the miles off" my PS2 by using it to play only PS2 games and using the PS1 to play those games, thereby distributing the wear and MTBF amongst the systems. I've never had a "disc read error" with my original big-box PS2, a 39001 model.

I suppose when I get a PS3 I'll do the same. At least they kept PS1 compatibility, right?

Yeah that is true, and it is more the PS1 where you had to buy like 20 memory cards. Those PS2 cards usually hold at least 1 save for a lot more games. To tell the truth I feel a nice sense of nostaligia playing the original Playstation system with the original controller without the thumbsticks. And then I have a little bit of nostalgia for firing up the old front-loading PS2.

I bought my PS3 to play Disgaea 3 and my existing PS2 games. Thought that by avoiding the slim I could do that. Well, turns out I got the fatter model that supports Other OS but no PS2 support. Live and learn I guess. The only thing I can blame Sony for is that the later models used emulation for PS2 support. They could have at least given me that.

Now I'm in the PSP situation where I literally have to keep jailbreaking it to enjoy new games.

The PS3 backwards compatibility issue has swayed me from ever wanting to own the system. If I remember correctly, BC PS3s had higher rates of burning out, more or less because of the fact that they were BC. Then, Sony removes compatibility with two of the largest and best game libraries in existence (PS1 and PS2) for cost-cutting reasons - effectively ending my interest in the system.

I am one of those game buyers that gets every console, each generation, but waits a year or two between each one. I usually complete one generation right as the next one is being released, and it keeps me on a steady, but not overwhelming, game-buying pace.

That said, I was planning on getting a PS3, as my original PS2 has burned out, and I have a large library of games for two systems that I couldn't play. But with such a high price tag, and no backwards compatibility with their old library, I just bought a PS2 slim and saved a bunch of money. I can wait til PS3s are found at Goodwill for $5 and grab it then.

That said, I was planning on getting a PS3, as my original PS2 has burned out, and I have a large library of games for two systems that I couldn't play. But with such a high price tag, and no backwards compatibility with their old library, I just bought a PS2 slim and saved a bunch of money. I can wait til PS3s are found at Goodwill for $5 and grab it then.

Doubt that's going to happen. As others have said, with their mechanical drives, they won't survive that long! icon_wink.gif

• Like 1

Doubt that's going to happen. As others have said, with their mechanical drives, they won't survive that long! icon_wink.gif

Bet the same was said about 2600s back in the day.

thrift stores where i am can't give away their donated xboxes and ps1. chances of mechanical failure too high.

True. And where I'm at, most of them typically won't let you hook up to one of the TVs either. They're afraid you'll run out of the store with it. So you have to take them on their word.

All the CD based stuff is scary. Most of the stuff I do see is all dusty, which indicates lack of care.

The PS3 backwards compatibility issue has swayed me from ever wanting to own the system. If I remember correctly, BC PS3s had higher rates of burning out, more or less because of the fact that they were BC. Then, Sony removes compatibility with two of the largest and best game libraries in existence (PS1 and PS2) for cost-cutting reasons - effectively ending my interest in the system.

I think they've left PS1 compatibility in there, across the board. I agree, I felt the same way. But I've always ended up with "all the systems" and I have no doubt I'll get a PS3....eventually. Stuff like GT5 will be helpful. The longer you wait, the cheaper it gets. Eventually, it'll be $149.99 and GT5 will be a "greatest hits" for $19.99 which means $10 used. I can handle that.

I am one of those game buyers that gets every console, each generation, but waits a year or two between each one. I usually complete one generation right as the next one is being released, and it keeps me on a steady, but not overwhelming, game-buying pace.

Yeah, I don't get everything, right away. I like to wait and get it cheap, in the end. Plus, if you're a collector (you don't sell your old stuff) then you probably have so many games you'll never be able to play them all, so you're kept busy.

Excuse the profanity, but this scene (the bull joke) from the movie "Colors" (Robert Duvall/Sean Penn 1988) perfectly describes the method of waiting, and get all the consoles cheaply in the end. Substitute "consoles" for "cows." LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUxePfsoWE

Edited by wood_jl

• 2 weeks later...

Repairing the ylod ps3 models with BC is really not that hard. The failure in the consoles had nothing to do with BC. It was simply a design flaw that gets exposed by users who abuse the shit out of their consoles. Dust bunnies, enclosed cabinets, constantly turning the thing in and off, insufficient ventilation, etc.

A $600 sophisticated computer kids treated like a tonka truck left out in the rain all night.

Not everyone who endures a PS3 failure mistreats the thing.

My launch PS3 sat on the top... not a shelf, but on the top... of a cabinet with nothing but ventilation. I used a dust cover over it when it wasn't in use. The most use it received at one time was perhaps 4 hours for an occasional double-feature movie night. No rental/used game or movie disks were used in it, only disks I purchased new and took care of. In other words, I took care of my $600 investment.

But nothing lasts forever, no matter how well cared for it is. And after 4 years of use, my PS3 decided to YLOD.

Sometimes crap just happens.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

My launch PS3 sat on the top... not a shelf, but on the top... of a cabinet with nothing but ventilation. I used a dust cover over it when it wasn't in use. The most use it received at one time was perhaps 4 hours for an occasional double-feature movie night. No rental/used game or movie disks were used in it, only disks I purchased new and took care of. In other words, I took care of my $600 investment.

But nothing lasts forever, no matter how well cared for it is. And after 4 years of use, my PS3 decided to YLOD.

Mendon

Agreed. It happens. I've had my 40gb model for over 3 years, and it's had extensive, multi-thousands of hours of use. I also keep it well ventillated and covered when not in use. While it's running good now, I figure it's a matter of time.

As I do work in IT, I may crack it open, clean and reattach the heat sink and replace the fan(s) and see if I can extend it's life a bit more.

To my knowledge, PS1 support was never removed on any of the versions of the PS3. Just PS2 support.

I have a BC PS3, unfortunately it is an 80 GB and has emulation issues on a few of my games. So I ended up hooking my PS2 back up.

Playing PS2 games via the PS3 is pretty nice and being able to save games directly to the HD instead of having to wrestle with a stack of memory cards is great. Being able to use an HDMI connection to get an extremely clear picture is awesome as well. Ultimately though I have no problem sticking to the PS2 itself for my PS2 games. I'll do that over paying exorbitant prices for games I already own.

Still I am willing to consider HD remasters of some stellar PS2 games. Depending on the cost, it would be worth the money to me to pick up digital copies of some of these games for convenience, esp. if the clarity and resolution are improved.

Mendon

This is true. But really, 4 years of regular use out of any piece of consumer electronics these days is pretty darn good, considering they all mostly come with only a 90 day warranty.

I think the thing most people miss in the comparison of the PS3's YLOD to teh Xbox RROD issues is that longevity. Sony's PS3issues are USUALLY due to long time wear and tear and sometimes through abnormal abuse.

The X-Box's issues were entirely based on shoddy manufacturing, and in many cases RROD happened within the warranty period, (sometimes within days of purchase) even happening SEVERAL times within the normal 90 days.

and the YLOD fix for the PS3 really isn't very hard. If you can operate a screw driver and a hair dryer, and have the attention span enough to watch and pay attention to a 15 minute Youtube video, you can fix it yourself, usually for about $30.