IGNORED

What was in the arcade? 1985

galagamike

I was 17 in 1985 (hs class of 86). I grew up in a small town though, so our arcade didn't have many current games. They were mostly a little older.

From what I can remember:

Frogger

Galaga

Track & Field

Ms. Pac-Man

Frontline

Haunted House (Pinball)

Punch-Out

Asteroids

Centipede

Joust

Donkey Kong

Kangaroo

Popeye

and a pool table

After High School, I'd say '88/'89, some more good stuff came around:

Double Dragon

Golden Axe

Rastan

Green Beret

Chelnov

Paperboy

R-Type

Shinobi

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Super Mario

I almost lived at the local arcades as a kid... between the Market Street Arcade and Bumpers Arcade in 1985 (I was 17/18 that year) I can remember the following games...

Asteroids

Battlezone

Berzerk

Burgertime

Centipede

Commando

Defender

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Dragon's Lair

Frogger

Galaga

Galaxian

Gauntlet

Ghosts n Goblins

Gorf

Gyruss

Joust

Lunar Lander

Mario Brothers

Missile Command

Moon Patrol

Ms PacMan

PacMan

Pole Position

Q*bert

Qix

Robotron 2084

Space Ace

Space Invaders

Star Castle

Stargate

Star Wars

Tempest

Time Pilot

Tron

Xevious

Zaxxon

...my brother and I must have spent 2-3 hours a day in the arcades. We would collect pop-bottles for the deposit money to play. We also recycled newspapers and those new fangled aluminum pop cans or sold fruit and vegetables from our garden to help support our arcade and computer habits.

We got so good at games like Robotron, Asteroids and Donkey Kong Jr that the owners of the arcades would do things to try to distract us, like asking us questions while we played or offering us free french fries, otherwise we could play for hours on a single quarter. My little brother was so good on Asteroids that he would get so many free guys that he could leave to go to the restroom or buy a soda and he'd still have ships left when he returned. Donkey Kong Jr was my specialty, I consistently scored between 500,000-700,000.

Love those memories.

• Like 1

The game I remember most from 85 was Bomb Jack

I'll list some I remember, but Bomb Jack... not positive I ever saw in an arcade. I did however see/play it in the vestibule of our local grocery store: A&P :)

Aladdin's Castle, the Sears arcade (no pinball machines at Sears), Showbiz Pizza & Bally's Tom Foolery had:

Popeye

Gyruss

Track and Field

Galaga

Q*Bert

Donkey Kong and DK Jr.

Asteroids

Space Invaders

Black Knight Pinball

Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball

Gorgar pinball

Haunted House & Black Hole pinball

Satans Hallow

Zaxxon

Pooyan

Reactor

Moon Patrol

Joust

Super Mario

Mario Bros.

Turtles

Centipede

Battlezone

Defender

Carnival

Crazy Kong (at a local convenient store)

Congo Bongo

Star Wars

Star Trek

Ladybug

Bag Man

World Series Baseball

Atari Football

Paperboy

Berzerk

Burgertime

Dig Dug

Frogger

Galaga

Galaxian

Tempest

Tron

Xevious

Kangaroo

Marble Madness

Dragons Lair

Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man

Pole Position

Robotron

Time Pilot

Crazy Climber

Zoo Keeper

Frontline

Kaos

Edited by save2600

Popeye

I, Robot

Galaga

Super Pac Man

Black Widow

Millipede

Crystal Castles

Joust

Bega's Battle

Bubbles

Super Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong Jr.

Donkey Kong

Rygar

Qix

Pac Man

Ms. Pac Man

Elevator Action

Mappy

Zaxxon

Tac Scan

Outrun

Battlezone

Star Wars

Tempest

Phoenix

Berzerk

Stargate

Centipede

Those were great times!

The nearest video games were in an 'El Taco' Mexican restaurant a block away from our house. They had a 'Yie Ar Kung Fu'. Awesome (for 1985) 2D fighter. We pumped a bunch of quarters into that game and my older cousin actually beat it. They also had a Centipede game which our little sister played a lot.

The large arcade in the basement at the local mall had most of the above games that other people have mentioned. And they had about 5 machines each of the most popular games like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Asteroids and Galaga. The arcade scene was strong until like '86 and then it slowed down, probably due to the great consoles coming out like the NES.

But from 1979 until like 1986, there were arcade machines everywhere. They were huge money makers.

But from 1979 until like 1986, there were arcade machines everywhere. They were huge money makers.

That was the golden age for video games IMO, never to be matched again. Every small town around my area had its own arcade springing up. Only place I ever saw Make Trax was in a small town arcade that had a cocktail table version. Awesome game.

That was the golden age for video games IMO, never to be matched again. Every small town around my area had its own arcade springing up. Only place I ever saw Make Trax was in a small town arcade that had a cocktail table version. Awesome game.

I played a cocktail Make Trax in a topless bar about 6 years ago... seriously.

Yep, '79 to '86 was the golden age. The early 90's had somewhat of a comeback in the form of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and NBA Jam. My friends and I (late teens at that time) re-descended back to the arcades for MK and SF.

I remember walking down into the bowels of our local mall, Southland Mall, in like 1980/1981. You'd hear the sound of all those games, and the place was dark, which made the games look even better. You had people lined up to play Pac-Man, Asteroids, Galaxian. And they also had 1960's era and more current pinball machines lined up to the side (about 40 pinball machines). It was the glory days of gaming. Billy Mitchell and some of the other greats might have played on some of those machines.

But I am not a disciple of Billy Mitchell. :-) Man, 'King of Kong' was a great documentary. It brought back a lot of memories and made me hungry for hot sauce.

Edited by gps_trekker

The game I remember most from 85 was Bomb Jack

I'll list some I remember, but Bomb Jack... not positive I ever saw in an arcade. I did however see/play it in the vestibule of our local grocery store: A&P :)

The arcade I went to most from 82-85 only had 4-6 games in it at one time. So they cycled through the games pretty quickly.

Here are the games that came through in order

Asteriods

Galaxian

Battle Zone

pheonix

Pac Man

Donkey Kong

Dig Dug

Frogger

Congo Bongo

Hangly Man

Pac Man Plus

Warp Warp

Bomb Jack in 85

and a few others I am sure I forgot

I remember playing Space Harrier, too. Don't think anyone has mentioned that one. I also remember the others that have been named already. Specifically, Galaga, different Pac-man games, Anteater, Dig Dug, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon, Xevious, Pole Position, and Xybots.

(On a humorous side note, my daughter was watching me type this and suggested Angry Birds.)

Just about every Dairy Queen had at least 2 or 3 arcade games back in those days. The one that I used to go to a lot always had a Galaga. The other 2 cycled fairly often, but I remember them having a Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac Man, Defender, Tron, and around '85/'86 a Kung Fu Master.

The arcade that my brother and I would go to was too far away from our house to visit on foot or bike, but whenever we went to the mall with our parents (I was about 9 in '85) they had some excellent games. Just about everything that was in the USA from about '79 to '85 was there at one time or another. The ones I specifically remember playing a lot were Wizard of Wor, Galaga, Galaxian, Phoenix, Gorf (Space Cadet...AH AH AH). I can't remember if it was '85 or '86, but I remember when Super Mario Bros. came out to the arcade, I played that a lot. I did stay away from those timed Nintendo games. That was a rip off.

Tempest was a lot of fun too, but I was never very good at it.

Just about every Dairy Queen had at least 2 or 3 arcade games back in those days. The one that I used to go to a lot always had a Galaga. The other 2 cycled fairly often, but I remember them having a Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac Man, Defender, Tron, and around '85/'86 a Kung Fu Master.

The Galaga I referred to in my post was at a Dairy Queen, too. :cool:

I cant remember but other than the usual Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong....

There was:

Time Pilot 84'

Elevator Action

Gauntlet

Gyruss

Dragons Lair

Space Ace

Stun Runner

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game

Superman

Cabal

Commando

Ghosts n Goblins

Trojan

Rygar

Pit Fighter

Too many to mention!

Mortal Kombat

Street Fighter II

Tons of shooters and fighting games.....