IGNORED

Atari Lynx model II question

Kiwi

I'm thinking about getting Atari Lynx model 2 as a christmas gift. I have some questions for those who has this model. I want to know if the speaker is loud enough for it to vibrate, I know sounds in Rygar is one of the most important feature that the game has due to the screen size limitation. Like the dragon flapping sound, or the power up icon that pops up right outside the left side of the screen that's easy to miss. The person in question is deaf and that's why I want to know. I know model one is loud enough since it right in my bed side.

Two, low battery thingy. I know model 1, when the batteries are low, the screen dims til the game system crashes. How does the low battery effect the Model 2? Is it like the Game Gear when the light flashes for a period of time(Usually 1 sec til up to a half hour) until it had enough and shut down the system immediately.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I didn't buy a Lynx until the newer model 2 came out (ended up with 2 Lynxes). Then I tried out the original Lynx at an Atari club. Was shocked how far apart your hands are when playing the original Lynx. I thought playing the Lynx 2 had the hands too far apart (compared to Gameboy, TurboGrafx, Nintendo DS, etc) but Lynx 1 was really really far.

Also, Lynx 1 was mono, wasn't it? Though Lynx sound was pretty bad, some games had stereo. I see zero reason in preferring the original over the newer one (except for the speaker, the newer Lynx you really need earphones). The newer one also looked very classy. The old one looked like a prototype.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't buy a Lynx until the newer model 2 came out (ended up with 2 Lynxes). Then I tried out the original Lynx at an Atari club. Was shocked how far apart your hands are when playing the original Lynx. I thought playing the Lynx 2 had the hands too far apart (compared to Gameboy, TurboGrafx, Nintendo DS, etc) but Lynx 1 was really really far.

Also, Lynx 1 was mono, wasn't it? Though Lynx sound was pretty bad, some games had stereo. I see zero reason in preferring the original over the newer one (except for the speaker, the newer Lynx you really need earphones). The newer one also looked very classy. The old one looked like a prototype.

I've owned the Lynx 1 and the Lynx II. I had the Lynx I first ( got it brand new in 1992, but we sent it to Atari for repairs, and they sent me back a Lynx II in like 1994). I liked the Lynx 1 because the speaker was a little louder and the game was enclosed in the door on the side. But the feature on the Lynx II that lets you turn off the screen is really nice. Also, the buttons feel more sturdy, the orange power light is helpful, and the paint and overall build quality is higher quality on the Lynx II. I agree that the Lynx I does look like a prototype compared to the Lynx II (or any other handheld really). Until i got a Gameboy Advanced SP, i have always felt the Lynx (I or II) was the best handheld console u could buy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I would have a question about the Lynx 2. Is it possible to improve somehow the screen backlight? I know that there is a back light tube behind the screen. My question is: is there any better alternative for this part? Can we use some kind of other lighting hardware there?

Thanks.

Hmm, is it really that bad? Especially when you start a retro session with the classic GB or the GBC or even the non-backlit GBA at first?

On-topic, it has been done before; there are some threads with pictures in this forum, try a search on the terms you are inquiring about. One poster did it with white LEDs. Generally, it requires soldering and some technical knowledge.

It´s not impossible but rarely done. I myself see no need for it. It´s no DS screen, sure, but when played inside it´s better than any pre-GBMicro screen that I know of. (This is said by a former strict Nintendo´ist; I dislike the GBA SP backlight btw...)

I do not know about any commercial enterprise that does this for you. The threads about this subject are also comparatively old so maybe PMming the authors might not work any more.

Maybe this thread finds you a volunteer :)

Hmm, is it really that bad? Especially when you start a retro session with the classic GB or the GBC or even the non-backlit GBA at first?

On-topic, it has been done before; there are some threads with pictures in this forum, try a search on the terms you are inquiring about. One poster did it with white LEDs. Generally, it requires soldering and some technical knowledge.

It´s not impossible but rarely done. I myself see no need for it. It´s no DS screen, sure, but when played inside it´s better than any pre-GBMicro screen that I know of. (This is said by a former strict Nintendo´ist; I dislike the GBA SP backlight btw...)

I do not know about any commercial enterprise that does this for you. The threads about this subject are also comparatively old so maybe PMming the authors might not work any more.

Maybe this thread finds you a volunteer :)

I have been looking for those threads and I found them. Sadly it seems there is no way to change the screen to a modern one. And the LED upgrades are not too convincing so probably I won't try to mod my Lynx. Anyway, there isn't any big problem with the screen, I think it's amazing that 20 years ago it was possible to produce screens like this is mass production, the modern screens are definitely a different league but the Lynx's screen is still useable. But in case if anybody did a big discovery in this subject then please, let us now.

Unfortunately there is no good solution for the Lynx to swap out the screen for a modern one, like there is for the Nomad. :(

You get quite far in screen quality by doing this:

Bulding a better Lynx LCD

Here you see it in sunlight:

Lynx LCD in bright sunlight

--

Karri

Thanks Karri for the links, I saw the first one earlier but the pictures in direct sunlight are new for me. Well, it looks quite complicated, I don't think so I will mod my Lynx in the near future, especially that it is in perfect shape. Maybe if I will have a second Lynx some day for cheap in worse condition. Anyway I read that if I tilt the screen slightly and I adjust the brightness, the colours won't be so washed up. I have tried it out and it works, so from now I will use my Lynx that way. Anyway this console is amazing, I have just beaten the Cyber Virus game, now I can play it in expert mode again :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Really? Have you seen the 2nd gen SP with the improved backlight? It's a huge improvement, right on par with the Micro and the DS over the original SP's backlight (which, while a big improvement over the original GBA still sucked.)