IGNORED

Old video game ads

SoulBlazer

1984 saw a large ammount of game ads also, despite the video game crash that was going on this year. I imagine a large reason for this was due to the lead time that was required to run the ad in the comic book. I'm not sure how much it was, but it was probaly a few months at least. Atari started doing ad's for their games for the first time, and they all say that Atari was a 'Warner Communications company' despite some of the ad's apearing in 4th quarter comic books -- clearly after Atari was sold.

By the same token, you saw ads from Mattel after they had dumped their Intelivision line in January of 1984. Oops. ;)

You also saw a trend to computers during this year, as companies started to push their computer lines more and more with the video game crash going on. Parker Brothers ran some ad's just talking about computers in general, with no game names mentioned.

LOL I remember back in the mid 80's my older brother was really into collecting comics and he had that one with the Star Wars Arcade ad....I remember we used to make fun of it because if you look really close up in that guy's nostrils you can see his boogers!

starwarsboogerad.png

eww lol. but anyways I did'nt start collecting comics myself until around '89. I remember alot of those Nintendo ads.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I had forgotten about many of these games. Reactor in particular brought back memories.

I laughed at the Game Boy ad that said "graphics so real, you will forget it is a game". Yes. Those grey dots on a green screen were so realistic.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, that is an amazing load of old ads.

Very interesting to see how the ads evolved, and how different (or similar) they were from a country to another.

Computer fans may or may not know the French mascot of British company Amstrad.

Big story short, when Amstrad started to sell computers (they were selling audio and small eledctronics before, so it was a change in plans) Alan Sugar set up a whole subsidiary company for selling computers in France, out of NOTHING. Mme Marion Vannier (CEO of Amstrad France) explained this in an interesting interview (that is, sadly, available in French only from what I know); and how they came up with an unique mascot.

pub6128_1.jpg

'the most plugged of all computers" the pun being on "plugged" because of the CPC using only one power cord for both the monitor and computer itself, and also in French, "plugged" meaning fancy, fashion. Also a bonus play on advertising the possible connnection of the computer to a phone line to download games.

pub-cpc-464.jpg

"The big bad computer"

pubcpc1.jpg

"Once upon a time the future"

6128ko.jpg

A play on the huge amount of ram for the time using the SI standard "Octet" for the amount of RAM

Those ads really stand out from other ads of the 80's in France, as you feel other were made to please long established commercials and people that had no idea of what video gaming was, that is was so big and needed more lively advertising. The difference between ads from hardware companies and video games companies are quite big :

500x665xIntellivision-TILT-1982.jpg.page

A very "arty" but not really appealing Intellivision ad. Of course Mattel may have tried to advertise more the "Intelligent" side of the system rathe rthan the gaming side.

500x669xTexas-Instruments-Tilt-1983.jpg.

Oh the 80's...

500x665xCommodore-Commodore-Magazine-198

Commodore stand out by advertising being N°1 and have more software than anyone else, when most, if not all ads of the time focuses on the machine and hardware only.

500x665xPitfall-TILT-1983.jpg.pagespeed.

As you can see, sofware companies have much more pleasant ads.

And an ad published in the French magazine" Joypad" obviously targeted for teenageers (the magazine, not the ad) who wanted infos about gaming.

Why the spoiler? Because of a slightly NSFW picture. Yes.

For a Tennis game on Megadrive/Genesis.

Tenniswoman rear end show incoming!

pub_da11.jpg

French touch :o

• Like 1

It is very interesting to see how some of these items were marketed differently in other countries/languages. Thanks for posting the French ads.

The (very cute) Megadrive tennis ad also appeared in English; though possibly only in British (rather than American) magazines.

Edited by jhd

I'll try to find more ads. Finding 8 bits era game ads is difficult; as I said, such ads were up to the game companies to make. Consoles had some game adverts but it was mostly selling the system itself. Nintendo (them again) really started to put ads for their games rather than the system. And it started late since before 1990 Bandai was in charge for selling NES games and systems in France (and other European countries).

On the other hand, the 16 bits era will see themed ads, like the "and you, where do you play it?" Game Boy ads, the Sega Megadrive "Sega, it's stronger than you" (which can also be understood in French as "Sega, you can't resist ")ads, and so on.

Here's the rest of the ad's from the year 1990.

More NES game ads, but also a full page comic for Bonk's Adventure and Splaterhouse for the TG-16. Also a ad for Child World selling the Genesis and the NES and a NES themed Shampoo.

That ad for NES Shampoo with Mario and Peach hovering over a bathing child kind of hovers on creepiness. Were they less sensitive to things like that in the early 1990s?

The mystic quest ad is Weird. No fantasy elements. Not that the game is worth playing anyway...

Yeah, I'd say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is more of a $39.99 lobotomy than a $39.99 brain transplant, being as it was a dumbed-down RPG created for the North American market (the Japanese title of the game is even "Final Fantasy USA"--how's that for a kick in the nuts?) I did love the music in the game though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I recall this one so specifically.  A lot of these ads really lubricate my brain, as I can vividly remember so many of them.  Oddly the next person posted an ad for Palamedes.  I remember buying Mendel Palace and Palamedes at the same time. (NES versions)

Yeah, the early 90s is when video game ads really starting ramping up with wild colors. lol

• 5 months later...