IGNORED

$355 for an 8 page Vectrex magazine????

MrRetroGamer

First of all, don't you think that when video games and related items occasionally go for what seems to be outrageous prices it lends credibility to our hobby? That is to say it proves there are very serious collectors out there. Doesn't it give you just a little bit of encouragement to see video game items reaching higher prices?

Two, what seems outrageous now may seem cheap in years to come. Granted $355 for a magazine surprises me too.

Finally, perhaps magazines, boxes and manuals are truly underappreciated items.

To each their own.

Obviously it's a very rare item that someone probably had at one time and wanted again, if only to recapture a small part of their childhood. $355 sounds like a bargin to do that.

$273,000 sound ridiculous for a car. especially when you can buy one for $15,000. But believe it or not. People will pay it. $355 alot??? All depends on how it's looked at.

Finally, perhaps magazines ....are truly underappreciated items.

I appreciate all my Video Game magazines that I've accumulated over time! I would have liked to add that magazine to my collection, but not for that price. :sad:

BTW, my collection of Video Game Magazines and Books (and other stuff) is here:

http://retrogames-r-us.tripod.com

Browse around and enjoy!

8) SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT! 8)

From what little I know of Vectrex lore, this was the only issue of Vectrex Passport ever produced. The Veccy didn't really have a huge following "in the day," so anything from way-back-when related to it is really looked for by collectors.

I agree that $300+ for 8 pages is high. But, this is the ONLY issue of the ONLY Vectrex mag ever made and, from what I've heard, even the hardcore Vectrex collectors have only whispered about this item - few, if none, have actually ever seen one.

Hell, as far as I know, it's the only one that's ever surfaced, let alone in decent shape. Suddenly, $300+ doesn't seem all that outrageous.

If it's extremely rare, it's probably worth the price. Hell...it could be the Quadrun/Waterworld for the Vectrex collector. I always see rare First Editions of books sell for ten times as much on ebay.

I wonder how much my very old Nintendo club newsletters are worth?? These are the newsletters sent out to registered Nintendo owners back in the day before they released Nintendo Power and started charging for subscriptions.

• Like 1

Question one! If you owned that copy of Vectrex Passport (possibly the only one in existence) would you allow it to be color photocopied? Would your passion for video games make you want to share your treasure (possibly having a devaluing effect) or would you keep it to yourself thereby guarranteeing it's value?

Question two! That mag was described as having considerable cover wear. Would a like new copy be worth even more?

Question one! If you owned that copy of Vectrex Passport (possibly the only one in existence) would you allow it to be color photocopied? Would your passion for video games make you want to share your treasure (possibly having a devaluing effect) or would you keep it to yourself thereby guarranteeing it's value?

Question two! That mag was described as having considerable cover wear. Would a like new copy be worth even more?

To answer both your questions in my humble opinion:

1. Absolutely. I'd still own the original and it would be nice to give access to others who are interested in the content.

2. Probably. :D

• 9 years later...

Actually, I do know the value of what I sold you.

What you bought from me: http://www.stagesele...rt-catalog.aspx (they were included with every Vectrex game box)

What sold for $300+ dollars in 2002: http://www.geekvinta...rt-magazine.php (was a Vectrex Fan Club member promotional item, very few exist)

Notice the 'Summer 1983' on the cover and different content

EDIT: Thanks for bumping this thread though, I had never seen an auction for one of these before - now I know what my copy is worth!

Edited by Desfeek