IGNORED

Space Harrier News

Sheddy

-ABBUC-

We Won "Best Game 2009" for Tempest Xtreem.

Why Couldn't Space Harrier win?

Well,

there is a BIG difference between Abbuc Awards and Abbuc Software Contest. Abbuc Awards are given away to any kind of Atari-related programs (even demos, musics, graphics/pictures or Atari-related tools on the PC) - but all you get is an award on paper (usually send per e-mail) and no money !!

In the Abbuc Software Contest however one can win monetary prizes of up to 500 Euro (sometimes even more) and therefore we have rules, which we don`t have for Abbuc awards. In fact, after several years of Abbuc Software Contest the idea came up to also give away awards to Atari related programs which normally do not have a chance to take part in the contest or to win any monetary prize.

Of course SH could (and surely would!) win an Abbuc award, but as said before (since MetalGuy was talking about the Abbuc Software Contest) it would not have a chance to take part in the contest, because the BIN/ROM of SH cannot be run from Abbuc disk-magazine and SH is using copyrighted or tm material (the name, the figures, etc.)...

-Andreas Koch.

-Packaging-

Marc Oberhäuser makes Great Packages. In Fact they're just downright Awesome, but the reason we didn't do it for tempest is that the Packages were very expensive. about 11 euro a box.

That translates to about $15.00 a piece. that would have brought the price of tempest to $65 dollars. that's too high.

You could simply let decide buyers.

In AtariAge's store you have the option to buy boxes, and they will be shipped separately from your game, directly from Freelancer Games:

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=931

Before a company will act against you, it has to be worth their while. If you're actively selling copies of their game/trademarks/etc... then they have a reason to shut that down. If you simply finish a game (& perhaps quickly sell a few special edition carts) then release the binary into the wild, there's really nothing anyone can do at that point. They can tell you to stop, and you'll have already complied.

Thank you.. Thats my point.. Once the game is released as PD, what are they gonna do? Demand that every single copy of it be deleted from everyones disks who downloaded it? I guess if they are in the mood to waste money, they could systematically go after every site that hosts it for download, but they'd be pissing in the wind, so to speak.

And another relevant point is that, if anything, the release of the game for a platform that less than .001% of sega's potential customers actually own, would actually benefit them in name recognition much more than it would cut into any potential profits.. Especially since Sheddy did a much better conversion of the game for the atari than they could have ever paid someone to do, in their wildest dreams..

I misunderstood what you meant by "PD". I thought you meant, Public Domain, as in the legal definition, not just that it's already "out there". Absolutely I agree that Sega is likely to do nothing... some companies take protecting their trademarks very seriously however (and there is probably a legal reason for this, IANAL however.) I also agree that this just actually helps Sega to have things like this released... keeps them relevant, especially if it gets picked up by slashdot or similiar.

Writing new data to an already programmed maxflash means: Erasing a 64kB block, and then rewrite it again.

There's no problem if the space harrier image is smaller than 8Mbit (or 1Mbit) minus 64kB. But suppose there's a critical case, let's say, the complete 8Mbit is needed. Then in theory it should still be possible, but then the Atari RAM must be used as a buffer. Then contents of RAM will be deleted. But, maybe the game-player only wants to save hi-score before turning off the machine, so there's no real problem.

1mb carts have a smaller erase block. I think 16k.

I think the "happy medium" would be to just use part of the block in the large cartridge for the game code.

In all likelihood you could easily "save" 50K or so of that block in system RAM, leaving 12K available for the High Score display and whatever program code is running at the moment.

Then the HS routine can just write it back and zero the remainder.

Actually, having the program code that handles the High Score and associated screens/music in the same block might work even better. Depending on how you go about programming the game, wastage of the block might be minimised down to 8K or less.

-ABBUC-

We Won "Best Game 2009" for Tempest Xtreem.

Why Couldn't Space Harrier win?

Well,

there is a BIG difference between Abbuc Awards and Abbuc Software Contest. Abbuc Awards are given away to any kind of Atari-related programs (even demos, musics, graphics/pictures or Atari-related tools on the PC) - but all you get is an award on paper (usually send per e-mail) and no money !!

In the Abbuc Software Contest however one can win monetary prizes of up to 500 Euro (sometimes even more) and therefore we have rules, which we don`t have for Abbuc awards. In fact, after several years of Abbuc Software Contest the idea came up to also give away awards to Atari related programs which normally do not have a chance to take part in the contest or to win any monetary prize.

Of course SH could (and surely would!) win an Abbuc award, but as said before (since MetalGuy was talking about the Abbuc Software Contest) it would not have a chance to take part in the contest, because the BIN/ROM of SH cannot be run from Abbuc disk-magazine and SH is using copyrighted or tm material (the name, the figures, etc.)...

-Andreas Koch.

AH! I see. I didn't know there were two different contests. Thanks for clearing that up Andreas. =)

-Boxes/Packaging-

You could simply let decide buyers.

In AtariAge's store you have the option to buy boxes, and they will be shipped separately from your game, directly from Freelancer Games:

That would be up to Mark if he wanted to offer that option for this project. that would be very cool. I would gladly provide the High Resolution Artwork for him if Mark would do it. =)

I think the "happy medium" would be to just use part of the block in the large cartridge for the game code.

In all likelihood you could easily "save" 50K or so of that block in system RAM, leaving 12K available for the High Score display and whatever program code is running at the moment.

Then the HS routine can just write it back and zero the remainder.

Actually, having the program code that handles the High Score and associated screens/music in the same block might work even better. Depending on how you go about programming the game, wastage of the block might be minimised down to 8K or less.

The high score save is one of the things left on the to-do list. Haven't got round to it as it needs a bit of thinking through - it could permanently activate any cheat codes that may be added, which is not necessarily a good idea?

I'm hoping to have a 64k block left, but may go down this route as, unbelievably, it is getting a little tight. It's a good idea, but I'd just be concerned in case the write fails for any reason it'd mess the whole game up instead of just the score saving.

Simply stunning Chris....

If I had seen that in the 80's, well I'd probably have done this :)

(a bit rude but safe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

Seriously, amazing work, raises a glass to you from freezing cold Northolt UK...

Edited by Mclaneinc

OK, I've posted a video of Stages 13 and 14

It's still unbelievable :)

All this movement on the screen at very nicely playable framrates. While others count every cycle of DLIs , in this game the "uncountable" DLIs look like graphics-parts, enhancing the whole action .....

A game like this back in the 80s, well, possibly Atari would have finally awaken ;)

OK, I've posted a video of Stages 13 and 14

It's still unbelievable :)

All this movement on the screen at very nicely playable framrates. While others count every cycle of DLIs , in this game the "uncountable" DLIs look like graphics-parts, enhancing the whole action .....

A game like this back in the 80s, well, possibly Atari would have finally awaken ;)

ELITE release 1987.

If Atari Corporation with all that sh... promotion at CES on U.S.A and Atarian Magazine that allmost all are out of date/old Games when MasterSystem/NES have great Arcade conversions. The Arcade type Xenophobe, Commando, Ikari Wariors, Jinks, Mat Mania Challenge,... were never released, now imagine if a guy like Sheddy or some others get this into the Atari stand at CES...

This is making me thinking in this:

~From what I remember SUNARO sold Carts at 49,95 Libres or all that "by Mail" U.S.A. at Atarian Magazine at $69,95, how would it cost this Large Memory Carts those Days (and if there was possible Technology to had them...): work, material,...

O.k., probably SEGA wouldn't give permission to Atari Corporation in the United States as they were battle eachother with the GameSystems.

In U.k. Elite wouldn't invest so much money for an A8 only possible release as Cartridge...

This is also true.

But this kind of good coding/looking if Atari get permission with SNK, TAITO, KONAMI,..., as they did, for example with Commando, there will be certainly permission, these ones weren't involved in the Home Computer/Video Systems...

But Atari tried to think that people were stupid... How they will sell lots of Machines with old Titles... People wanted Arcade Gaming, not old Pac-Man and all that stuff boxed in Carts at probably the same price as large NES/Master system Levels Arcade Games!

Was it high price to get third party Arcade licenses?

:ponder:

Some thoughts, some questions that we all had, we all have and we will always have... but never answers!

Greetings.

José Pereira.

If you're not after a follow up project which will take as long as this one, how about creating a new version of the same game but with different bosses / enemies / backgrounds?

You'll not have to do any new development, just artwork.

If you do not do this, I cannot see anyone else doing it and this'll be our only chance.

You can let your imagination go free and not be tied to whatever Sega created.

You could even design characters that are easy to compress, saving a few bytes in the process!

What do you think?

I'm more interested in the coding, so that's not really my type of thing. I think it is the original graphics design that makes Space Harrier...the gameplay is not that wonderful really (although I've worked on that for the Atari version). I haven't got the kind of artistic imagination that'd be required to make a good job of it. IMHO even Space Harrier II for the Genesis/Computers (never was an arcade machine) is just a poor and pale imitation of the original.

@Sheddy - kjmann wrote that Sega don't care but maybe you should remove SEGA logo from title screen. More suitable is: "Original game created by Sega" or similar...

Maybe it's not wise to keep it, but I also feel it takes away some credit from Sega for the game if it is removed. I think it needs some kind of graphic in that part of the title screen...hmm...tricky.

That looks fantastic, though I think that kjmann's songs need some touch in the instrument area, like more rich leads and improved percussions. I could do that if you and kjmann agree.

If you think there's room for some improvement, I'd be quite happy for you to have a look if you'd like, but only if Sal is OK about it. You may not get onto the splash screen (unless radical changes!), but there will be a credits and thanks screen.

Edited by Sheddy

I'd leave the Sega sign in, as you say it ads to the feel but if a twit from Sega moaned how much would that affect whatever productions issues there are?

I presumed the cart version was a flash cart and could be reflashed with an updated code?

If yes, then prepare two versions and await any moans..

This is making me thinking in this:

~From what I remember SUNARO sold Carts at 49,95 Libres or all that "by Mail" U.S.A. at Atarian Magazine at $69,95, how would it cost this Large Memory Carts those Days (and if there was possible Technology to had them...): work, material,...

O.k., probably SEGA wouldn't give permission to Atari Corporation in the United States as they were battle eachother with the GameSystems.

In U.k. Elite wouldn't invest so much money for an A8 only possible release as Cartridge...

This is also true.

But this kind of good coding/looking if Atari get permission with SNK, TAITO, KONAMI,..., as they did, for example with Commando, there will be certainly permission, these ones weren't involved in the Home Computer/Video Systems...

But Atari tried to think that people were stupid... How they will sell lots of Machines with old Titles... People wanted Arcade Gaming, not old Pac-Man and all that stuff boxed in Carts at probably the same price as large NES/Master system Levels Arcade Games!

Was it high price to get third party Arcade licenses?

Tramiel-era Atari wasn't conceived as a games company; the plan was to undercut Apple and Commodore. They changed their minds only after the NES became successful, by which time they'd lost the initiative and didn't have the income to take on Nintendo.

A lot of the difference does come down to cart size. Super Mario Bros. 3 was 384k, for example.