IGNORED

Problem with my Exp Module 1

Mr.Smiley

Hi,

i got a Colecovision Exp Module 1 at home that won't work anymore. I already cleaned it, bent up the metal buckle surrounding the contacts and still nothing. Sometimes, like 1 in 100 tries, I can get it to work by repeatedly pressing the Reset button. I think its a loose connection somewhere. Anyone got an idea or has the same problems? Thanks!

Does sound like a connection issue to me.

Have you cleaned the contacts? 90+% isopropyl alcohol on the connectors with a cotton swab. I'd do a thorough cleaning of the connectors on the CV, as well as both the connector that plugs into the CV, and the Atari slot.

Have you opened it up to see if there's anything visibly wrong?

Try deoxit. Its expensive but works. Use it on a q tip instead of spraying it on and it goes alot further. I used on a n64 game that got wet in a basement flood and it resurected it. It's all I use now to clean stuff. I would also clean and reseat those ribbon cables if possible.

Edited by Galeforcerm

And you don't happen to have a 2nd CV or ADAM lying around to test it with? Does the CV work ok without the expansion?

Sorry no 2nd CV or ADAM. Strange thing is, when i plug the expansion into the CV and try to play a CV game it won't work either as long as the expansion is plugged to the CV. When i remove it, the CV alone works fine.

Edited by Mr.Smiley

Strange thing is, when i plug the expansion into the CV and try to play a CV game it won't work either as long as the expansion is plugged to the CV. When i remove it, the CV alone works fine.

Nothing really strange about it, whatever is plugged into the front expansion port (EM1 or ADAM) takes over the CV completely.

Wow, I could've posted this, I bought one "as-is" cheap off Ebay and it didn't work. The metal "buckle" looks pretty oxidized but I cleaned it fairly well with alcohol, but maybe deoxit is better.. I'd really like to get it to work since I think 2600 games would look amazing through my modded CV..

How tight/flush does the Expansion Module fit when it's completely plugged in? Mine never gets 100% flush with the CV, there's a small gap between them. Is that normal?

Amazingly enough, the seller was super apologetic and I managed to get a full refund..! (and got to keep it to either try to fix, or toss, as the case may be)

Edited by Justin42

Wow, I could've posted this, I bought one "as-is" cheap off Ebay and it didn't work. The metal "buckle" looks pretty oxidized but I cleaned it fairly well with alcohol, but maybe deoxit is better.. I'd really like to get it to work since I think 2600 games would look amazing through my modded CV..

How tight/flush does the Expansion Module fit when it's completely plugged in? Mine never gets 100% flush with the CV, there's a small gap between them. Is that normal?

Amazingly enough, the seller was super apologetic and I managed to get a full refund..! (and got to keep it to either try to fix, or toss, as the case may be)

Mine was a cheapo, too. I bet it was in a shed or garage for 10-15 years before I got it. Totally caked up with grime. I wouldn't even plug it in before I did a complete teardown. Worked first time I plugged it in, though.

Mine also doesn't sit completely flush with the CV, so I think that's normal.

Sounds like you got a good, respectable seller. I'm sure the percentage of those is pretty low.

'Tis the Season. Gift me $28 (actual calculated first class shipping to Germany round up to the nearest dollar) and I will gift you a 2600 expansion module.

I'll send it marked gift with a value of $10.

I have 3 or 4 that work perfect laying around. Let me know if you want one.

Have you checked your CV power supply? It's possible that if your PS is weak that the extra current drawn by the expansion module is making the voltage drop below the level required to work properly but without it plugged in, there is enough juice for the CV to work alone. That would definitely give you the 1 in 10 times it works results you describe.

'Tis the Season. Gift me $28 (actual calculated first class shipping to Germany round up to the nearest dollar) and I will gift you a 2600 expansion module.

I'll send it marked gift with a value of $10.

I have 3 or 4 that work perfect laying around. Let me know if you want one.

Knowing Yurkie, this is probably an awesome deal.