IGNORED

Jac!s Sillyventure Contribution

Heaven/TQA

Wow! Excellent stuff Peter :cool: Is this the first time that the split graphics has been done on the A8? I've seen it in c64 demos but don't remember seeing it done on the A8 before? Really well executed. Big respect also for the hard work keeping it within 64k.

Hi there!

Thanks for you positive comments. I just got to know via mail from Nils that it won the Silly Venture Demo Compo and I can't tell you how excited I am. I really whish I'd been there. After 21 years of demo coding, this was the first time I entered a compo.

@Tezz: I assume the vertical graphics split is the first on A8. I had this effect in mind for years. And when I saw it being done in

on C64, I went mad. Thanks to Rybags comments and the version of G2F you sent me, I was able to defeat the bad lines which kept from doing this for years. But opposed to Andropolis (where the graphics is actually copied under the sprites and which is therefore limited to a certain speed of movement), Silly Things uses a cycle exact split between two (*24) charsets. This is why the roatation can become so fast at the end. That would not be possible with copying memory. This effect has the most complicated memory layout I ever created. It really would have been rather easy with extended RAM, but it was damn hard in 64k.

@Spookt: If you like TV noises, I have plenty of them in less bytes. And some are even more realistic. Check TV Noise Anthology or TV Noise Demo Maker ;-)

Congratulations for your first place!

This is a really great demo. Personally, I like a lot the effects, the music, the graphics and the "cohesion" between all the parts (and probably I would like the code if I take a look at it :D). The only "hard" part was trying to read the greetings :).

Silly Things uses a cycle exact split between two (*24) charsets.

I have no idea how that split's being done, can you provide some tech info there.

Yeah! please provide any info about that and about the 256-dot matrix with "depth cue" :).

Can you change charsets midline with pixel resolution? inside a char? or are you limited to a char resolution and use the black line to cover some parts?

Can you apply that to changing colors midline, inclusive in bad lines?

Regards!

Peter... oh... I thought about the rotation split, too for some time ago when I first saw the fx on c64... but I was under the impression that it is done similar to the c64 version in terms of copy data and covering the data copy with sprites... ;) good to see that you still know the cycle exact timing stuff :) I guess since Visdom 2 days you still can do this.

But which emulator worked for testing that FX? Atari800Mac does show it right... so I guess the Emulators work here good enough?

Hard to catch the text on some of the hi/thanks stuff.

Looks like I get a thanks, Heaven gets a greet, also saw xxl, Fox, Raster, PG.

It's got fairly "simple" music, but it sounds really fresh.

I reckon that pic splitter technique might start to become the rage now.

Somewhat costly in RAM use, but in the context of a demo you don't really care too much.

No idea how it's done on C= systems, maybe they just change the bitmap origin. Of course Atari only allows that on a scanline boundary (but of course our way is much more flexible in 99% of other cases).

Edited by Rybags