IGNORED

Getting reaquainted with my MEGA and then poof....

My SC1224 monitor made a "pop" and then the magic smoke came out. Best I can tell, my Mega STE is ok. The whole lot has been in storage for four years while we relocated....I was worried that the ancient HD in the STE wouldn't work but it did and things seemed ok.

I have a PS3000 monitor but the power supply is missing (still in storage). Is it a normal Atari power supply with more wires in the plug??

Wow though, exploring Neodesk 4 again and running a few games was fun while it lasted. I've got to get an adapter so I can use a LCD monitor.

Got some magic smoke I can borrow?

Edited by STeSearcher

"pop" plus smoke/steam/vapor is indicative of a blown capacitor. It shouldn't be too tough to fix as long as it's not buried in there and so long as there's enough of the cap left to find the proper capacitance rating and polarity (or you can get other information to discern what it needs to be replaced with). Usual CRT safety rules apply, of course. (ie preferably discharge it before working, or be extremely careful around the cathode and flyback transformer leads/electrodes)

I'll have to take the cover off and see what's blown. I have a buddy who repaired TV's before they all when digital (with plug in replacement boards, no component level repairs), I bet he could fix it or at least make sure it's discharged.

I found my PS3000 power supply but I hesitate to plug it in.....