IGNORED

*** 2010 Vectrex Xmas Tournament ***

VectorGamer

2010 Vectrex Xmas Tournament

Competition begins Wednesday, December 22 at 12 Noon EST and concludes Tuesday, December 28 at 3AM EST.

Rules

•  
  • Games can be played either on Vectrex hardware or through emulation.
  • Game variations are documented in the respective game's information below.
  • Post your scores to this thread. Screenshots of your scores are recommended, but not required.
  • You must play all five games (Minestorm, Star Castle, Scramble, Armor Attack and Solar Quest) in the tournament for your scores to count towards the final tournament standings.
  • This will be a "percentage score" tournament system. The tournament standings will be determined by calculating a player's average percentage score across all five games.

For example (using only two games):

Star Castle

Player 1 scores 1000 = 100%

Player 2 scores 750 = 75%

Player 3 scores 500 = 50%

Minestorm

Player 3 scores 1000 = 100%

Player 1 scores 900 = 90%

Player 2 scores 500 = 50%

Tournament Standings

Player 1 = 95%

Player 3 = 75%

Player 2 = 62.5%

Since I cannot edit the first post in this thread, I will have to post score and tournament updates periodically in individual replies.

Games

Armor Attack

Maneuver your jeep through the streets and alleys of an occupied town.

Hide from the enemy tanks behind buildings and launch your own surprise

attack! Improve your chance of survival by playing with an ally. But beware

of the deadly helicopter flying overhead... no place is safe from this

treacherous enemy.

Variation: NTSC/PAL - Game 1 [Default]

Twin Galaxies World Record: 1,043,300

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm01.txt

Minestorm

Tread lightly! The transport lanes of intergalactic space have been seeded with mines from an alien vessel. Use your mine destroying blaster to blow up the mines before they annihilate you! You may survive the floating mines, but beware of the fireball, magnetic, and treacherous fireball- magnetic mines... 13 fields, each one more difficult, await you!

Variation: NTSC/PAL - Points [Default]

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 71,285 Desfeek

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm10.txt

Scramble

Watch out for that next mountain! Maneuver your ship over a rough terrain

in an effort to destroy the enemy base. Careful piloting alone won't get you

to your destination... you must brave rockets, UFOs, flamoids and some very

tight tunnels. Few people have ever seen the enemy base, let alone destroy

it. Will you be one of the select few?

Twin Galaxies World Record: 118,950

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm14.txt

Solar Quest

How many types of alien vessels will you be able to destroy? Seven different types are after you. You must first destroy them and then attempt to rescue the survivors before that float into the sun. Don't get your ship too close to the sun... its high temperatures can destroy you.

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 99,050 rmaerz

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm15.txt

Star Castle

You and other experienced intergalactic voyagers have heard about and shared the legend of Star Castle -- a mysterious fortress in a far away galaxy filled with incredible riches and surrounded by revolving walls of shimmering solid gold. Yet no one, until now, has ever actually seen the Castle -- or lived to tell about it!

As you approach, you are overwhelmed with the beauty of the Castle but you suddenly realize that the golden walls hide a deadly arsenal. To survive you must destroy the walls and the powerful Energy Cannon they shield. Perhaps you will be the first to survive the Star Castle's arsenal and prove the legend true. Perhaps not!

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 31,810 rmaerz

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm19.txt

See http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/172818-vectrex-thanksgiving-hsc-tourney/page__view__findpost__p__2147341 for Thanksgiving Tournament Final Results

Oh hello :)

I can't believe someone posted 1mil+ on A..A, and the same guy broke the Minestorm record, its sitting at 270k. :o

A couple weeks ago, I recorded myself scoring 77,350 on Pole Position, which is a new Twin Galaxies record. I just can't upload it on their website as the file is too large, so I have to go get some DVDs and snail mail my score.

2010 Vectrex Xmas Tournament

Competition begins Wednesday, December 22 at 12 Noon EST and concludes Tuesday, December 28 at 3AM EST.

Rules

•  
  • Games can be played either on Vectrex hardware or through emulation.
  • Game variations are documented in the respective game's information below.
  • Post your scores to this thread. Screenshots of your scores are recommended, but not required.
  • You must play all five games (Minestorm, Star Castle, Scramble, Armor Attack and Solar Quest) in the tournament for your scores to count towards the final tournament standings.
  • This will be a "percentage score" tournament system. The tournament standings will be determined by calculating a player's average percentage score across all five games.

For example (using only two games):

Star Castle

Player 1 scores 1000 = 100%

Player 2 scores 750 = 75%

Player 3 scores 500 = 50%

Minestorm

Player 3 scores 1000 = 100%

Player 1 scores 900 = 90%

Player 2 scores 500 = 50%

Tournament Standings

Player 1 = 95%

Player 3 = 75%

Player 2 = 62.5%

Since I cannot edit the first post in this thread, I will have to post score and tournament updates periodically in individual replies.

Games

Armor Attack

Maneuver your jeep through the streets and alleys of an occupied town.

Hide from the enemy tanks behind buildings and launch your own surprise

attack! Improve your chance of survival by playing with an ally. But beware

of the deadly helicopter flying overhead... no place is safe from this

treacherous enemy.

Twin Galaxies World Record: 1,043,300

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm01.txt

Minestorm

Tread lightly! The transport lanes of intergalactic space have been seeded with mines from an alien vessel. Use your mine destroying blaster to blow up the mines before they annihilate you! You may survive the floating mines, but beware of the fireball, magnetic, and treacherous fireball- magnetic mines... 13 fields, each one more difficult, await you!

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 71,285 Desfeek

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm10.txt

Scramble

Watch out for that next mountain! Maneuver your ship over a rough terrain

in an effort to destroy the enemy base. Careful piloting alone won't get you

to your destination... you must brave rockets, UFOs, flamoids and some very

tight tunnels. Few people have ever seen the enemy base, let alone destroy

it. Will you be one of the select few?

Twin Galaxies World Record: 118,950

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm14.txt

Solar Quest

How many types of alien vessels will you be able to destroy? Seven different types are after you. You must first destroy them and then attempt to rescue the survivors before that float into the sun. Don't get your ship too close to the sun... its high temperatures can destroy you.

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 99,050 rmaerz

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm15.txt

Star Castle

You and other experienced intergalactic voyagers have heard about and shared the legend of Star Castle -- a mysterious fortress in a far away galaxy filled with incredible riches and surrounded by revolving walls of shimmering solid gold. Yet no one, until now, has ever actually seen the Castle -- or lived to tell about it!

As you approach, you are overwhelmed with the beauty of the Castle but you suddenly realize that the golden walls hide a deadly arsenal. To survive you must destroy the walls and the powerful Energy Cannon they shield. Perhaps you will be the first to survive the Star Castle's arsenal and prove the legend true. Perhaps not!

AtariAge Vectrex HSC World Record: 31,810 rmaerz

Manual: http://www.vectrex.nl/docs/vctrxm19.txt

See http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/172818-vectrex-thanksgiving-hsc-tourney/page__view__findpost__p__2147341 for Thanksgiving Tournament Final Results

Nice initiative for the festive period - hopefully I find time to participate. The only thing is that I guess the high scores recorded by Twin Galaxy are for the original arcade machines rather then the Vectrex? If thats the case although game play is similar between original arcade and Vectrex, they are not the same, so those high scores may never be possible on the Vectrex.

Nice initiative for the festive period - hopefully I find time to participate. The only thing is that I guess the high scores recorded by Twin Galaxy are for the original arcade machines rather then the Vectrex? If thats the case although game play is similar between original arcade and Vectrex, they are not the same, so those high scores may never be possible on the Vectrex.

Those are high scores recorded on Vectrex

Yes, in order to submit TG Vectrex scores, you must use original Vec hardware with an original Vec controller and completely show your unmodified system before submission. Sean Kelly's multicart is listed under the "acceptable multicarts" section of TG's website, but for the most part you must use original ROMs as well.

Hey VMad, I may be completely wrong about this, but you are responsible for madtronix, correct? I came across an interesting multicart with madtronix printed on the board, and was wanting more information about it. It doesn't just have dip switches, you must reorganize little pieces on the board (not incredibly mechanically inclined here) to choose which game you want to play. It came with a little instruction sheet, but no names are printed on the cart or the instructions, other than "special thanks to madtronix" printed on the PCB. Is this an early version of Sean's multicart? Or a completely different one? To be honest I didn't have time to boot up the cart and play around with it, but I can definitely go back to check it out if necessary.

Also the madtronix website lists either Richard H.'s or Kevin H.'s 3D imager for sale, for 0,00 euros. Is this actually available, or is it only there to tease the possibilities of me ever playing 3D Vectrex? If you have no idea about any of this stuff, sorry for associating you! :P

Hey VMad, I may be completely wrong about this, but you are responsible for madtronix, correct? I came across an interesting multicart with madtronix printed on the board, and was wanting more information about it. It doesn't just have dip switches, you must reorganize little pieces on the board (not incredibly mechanically inclined here) to choose which game you want to play. It came with a little instruction sheet, but no names are printed on the cart or the instructions, other than "special thanks to madtronix" printed on the PCB. Is this an early version of Sean's multicart? Or a completely different one? To be honest I didn't have time to boot up the cart and play around with it, but I can definitely go back to check it out if necessary.

Also the madtronix website lists either Richard H.'s or Kevin H.'s 3D imager for sale, for 0,00 euros. Is this actually available, or is it only there to tease the possibilities of me ever playing 3D Vectrex? If you have no idea about any of this stuff, sorry for associating you! :P

Sorry, I've nothing to do with Madtronix. He was active a couple of years ago but then dissappeared. That website of his was made in 2009, but doesn't seem to have been updated since September 2009. The imager he lists on his website is his product. I was lucky to get one of those first time round. In the past, he did make a multicart too, which allowed a choice of 8 supplied games. Games were selected via three jumper connections.

Wow, that means I need to get more practice :)

Sorry, I've nothing to do with Madtronix. He was active a couple of years ago but then dissappeared. That website of his was made in 2009, but doesn't seem to have been updated since September 2009. The imager he lists on his website is his product. I was lucky to get one of those first time round. In the past, he did make a multicart too, which allowed a choice of 8 supplied games. Games were selected via three jumper connections.

Oh! Okay, I'm sorry I associated you two! Thanks for the info, its interesting that he only included 8 games in his multicart, it must have been way before the innovations in multicart technology that we have now. If anyone knows Madtronix, urge him to get back into the scene and help satisfy the ever-growing (interest in this system is higher than it has been in decades) need for cool Vectrex items!

I can't wait for our friendly competition. I just wish Pole Position was one of our games :P

No worries about the association, I guess "mad" was the common identifier :)

>Thanks for the info, its interesting that he only included 8 games in his multicart, it must have been way before the innovations in multicart

Well yes, the reason for only 8 games is that the game selection is done by switches/jumpers and this has to follow logic.

I.e. there are 3 switches (S1,S2,S3) each which can be on (1) or off (0). Therefore this gives a possibility of 8 choices.

S1 S2 S3

0 0 0 - game 1

0 0 1 - game 2

0 1 0 - game 3

0 1 1 - game 4

1 0 0 - game 5

1 0 1 - game 6

1 1 0 - game 7

1 1 1 - game 8

Modern day multicarts allow the game selection via onscreen menus and are not limited by having a number of physical switches present.

Update

Armor Attack

29,900 Desfeek 100%

22,500 rmaerz 75.25%

Minestorm

61,435 Desfeek 100%

22,435 rmaerz 36.52%

Scramble

28,910 Desfeek 100%

20,880 rmaerz 72.22%

Solar Quest

110,650 rmaerz 100%

100,550 Desfeek 90.87%

Star Castle

35,010 Desfeek 100%

20,500 rmaerz 58.55%

Tournament Standings

Calculated 12.26.10 9:10 AM EST

1. Desfeek 98.17%

2. rmaerz 68.51%

Edited by rmaerz

Thanks for hosting! Hopefully we can get some more interest at a later date. I'm thinking its because the holidays were around, not as many people were forum browsing...

I wanted to participate, but simply ran out of time, what with all the other things going on at Christmas. I started playing MineStorm and got 45,400.

But I didn't have the chance to get the other games out.

May be in future more time and less games?

We could probably set up another tourney for President's Day if you folks are interested.

Desfeek & rmaerz,

You mind if I add your top scores to my hiscores page on my website?

www.vectrex.co.uk

It's cool with me...make sure you get the ones from the Thanksgiving Tourney as well cuz I had a higher score in Star Castle in that tournament