IGNORED

Ever regret buying/collecting a certain system?

GKC

Have you ever bought and started collecting for a certain system and then regretted it? I bought and regret my Saturn buy but not because I think the Saturn is a bad system in fact I have had a lot of fun with the Saturn. I regret getting it because it has severly hurt my Jaguar collecting with my money going towards the Saturn. I don't spend a lot of money on video games and the little bit I allow myself for games has been split between the Jaguar and Saturn and my Jaguar buying has slowed to a halt which is a shame because the Jag is far and away my favorite system. Looking at it now with the money I spent on the Saturn I probably could have gotten most if not all the remaining Jag games I want (obviously this does not include Battlesphere :D ). So I guess I don't regret buying the Saturn but I regret the timing of it.

How about you? Do you regret a system or game you bought and if so why?

Ill take the saturn! I need one! I have a stack of games but no system!

Not a system... but Star Trek collecting cards. Back in the day when the Next Gen and DS9 were in their heyday, some of the uncommons demanded a chunk of change. Now they are all worthless.

still have the cards? I am a trekkie, and that is a big hole in my collection! and yes, they are worthless! I was back at the conventions in the early 90's and the prices they wanted were outrageous, for all of the playmates crap. Recently, I have bought out 2 or 3 collections of this stuff with around 50 figures, ships, and other stuff for around $100 I have about 5 gold enterprises in the boxes bought them for a fraction of the cost that they once were. I have a garage full (not kidding) of trek stuff! Along with what is in my house!

Not a video game console, but like others cards. I collected Magic the Gathering and would hate the money I spent but when I finally got a sponser to play I got to go to cool places and made enough money to pay college so it worked out. BTW, it didn't pay for all of college, just what grants and such didn't pay for.

I played Warhammer for a while and collected that, wish I had that money back. I played Hero Clix, Action Clix, DnD Minis, Star Wars Minis, and Blood Bowl and have piles of that sitting around with very little value. I can't even find people around here to give most of it too as I would like to make sure the person I gave these things to would enjoy them and not just have them.

I am a trekkie

A trekkIE, or a trekkER? I'm of the understanding that to call a person who actively participates in Trek conventions, meetings, etc, can be offended for being called a "trekkie". For these folks, "trekker" is the proper term. A trekkie is someone who enjoys the shows/movies, and is maybe a little into collecting, but doesn't participate in the Trek lifestyle.

Just curious, so we can determine how much fun to make of you. icon_razz.gif

I think I would define myself as a trekkie. I never wore costumes or went to conventions/meetings.

• Like 1

Nope.I can't see why anyone would regret buying any console system.I feel they all have something good to offer and are all a precious part of gaming history now and for the future.

Edited by Rik

The only thing I regretted collecting were e-Cards for Nintendo's GBA e-Reader. It had huge potential, but ultimately, it was mostly used for Pokemon-related applications, a handful of NES ports, and a few other minor things. No Game-&-Watch cards (aside from Manhole) and not a single third-party series (not in the US at least, Capcom released some Mega Man Network e-Card series in Japan, if memory serves me right). If I had known how much Nintendo was going to drop the ball with the e-Reader, I never would have bothered buying it.

Edited by Pixelboy

It also takes up alot of space with the massive drive and 2 bulky power packs.

Maybe you should consider getting a SIO2PC adapter or a SIO2SD. I ditched both my 810 and 1050 for a SIO2PC and I haven't looked back.

Oh no, I've fallen into the trap of 'spending more on a system I'm not enjoying' before, and I certainly would not recommend walking down that path. That's how regrets happen. The ideal person who goes for upgrades has the "I enjoy this, but want more" attitude instead.

Speaking of that, I add to my regret list an SD device for my C64, and reaffirm my regret of the JaguarCD.

(I do enjoy my SIO2SD and 800XL a lot though)

Edited by Reaperman

Ill take the saturn! I need one! I have a stack of games but no system!

Nah I like the Saturn and will keep it I just regret the timing of my purchase. Now that I have it I may as well keep it ;) . There is a guy selling a Saturn with a game in the marketplace for $35 bucks. Looked like a good deal.

Oh boy have I made some mistakes.

A) Saturn. I don't find it fun.

B) Genesis, I have an NES, barely half as much fun.

C) Vic-20. Although this is cool and I do intent on keeping it, I do not play it.

D) SNES. Again , I have almost no interest in it.

I simply do not have the funds to collect for ALL of these.

My main consoles are the NES and Dreamcast. PS3, too. :D

I am a trekkie

A trekkIE, or a trekkER? I'm of the understanding that to call a person who actively participates in Trek conventions, meetings, etc, can be offended for being called a "trekkie". For these folks, "trekker" is the proper term. A trekkie is someone who enjoys the shows/movies, and is maybe a little into collecting, but doesn't participate in the Trek lifestyle.

Just curious, so we can determine how much fun to make of you. icon_razz.gif

I think I would define myself as a trekkie. I never wore costumes or went to conventions/meetings.

Well, now I am confused does meeting:

William Shatner

Leonard Nimoy

Walter Koenig

Nichelle Nichols

Majel Barrett Roddenberry

Patrick Stewart

Jonathon Frakes

Brent Spiner

Levar Birton

Marina Sirtis

and countless others from the other shows, which does this make me? LOL! I met most at charity functions and awards shows and only one at a con when I was a kid

It turns out that, for the most part, I'm just interested in the systems that I did play when I was young (or younger). I recently found that out about myself. It certainly didn't help the matter that my curiosity was crushed by the systems all taking a shit on me.

Vic-20, C64, TI/994A, and Amiga 1200 - I bought all of these in the last year, and they all went belly-up, the C64 x2. I didn't have any of them growing up, or I'd have been glad to buy more spares. In this regard, it's not technical superiority (or inferiority) that mattered, it's pure nostalgia. And well-enough, I can still play those systems on a reliable emulator!

Colecovision: I bought save2600's nice CV and Atarimax cart. I just remember wanting one (badly - which is why I had to try it now) back in '82 but never had one and only played it little. The games are good (once again, not about technical superiority) but they're not the versions I grew up with. I absolutely can't stand the controller in my hand either, which doesn't help. The Colecovision didn't take a shit on me, though)

So, the only non-arcade-perfect versions of arcade classics I am entertained with (to the point of wanting real hardware) is that which I played and loved. Because today, I can have the real thing. What I mean is, I played Dig Dug on the Atari 800 and 2600, so I like both of those versions (yes, even the 2600). But the Commodore 64 version has nothing for me since I didn't play it. I have arcade Dig Dug on the Jakks joystick, Mame, and a bunch of Namco Museum titles on everything, including hand held systems.

I had a Jaguar back when it was being sold and it just couldn't compete (for my attention) with the other systems and their stellar games. I'd probably get one for Missle Command 2K and Wolfenstein if I didn't have too much stuff (and too little time and space) already.

Edited by wood_jl

Well, now I am confused does meeting:

William Shatner

Leonard Nimoy

Walter Koenig

Nichelle Nichols

Majel Barrett Roddenberry

Patrick Stewart

Jonathon Frakes

Brent Spiner

Levar Birton

Marina Sirtis

and countless others from the other shows, which does this make me?

A cameraman. :P

Not a system... but Star Trek collecting cards. Back in the day when the Next Gen and DS9 were in their heyday, some of the uncommons demanded a chunk of change. Now they are all worthless.

still have the cards? I am a trekkie, and that is a big hole in my collection! and yes, they are worthless! I was back at the conventions in the early 90's and the prices they wanted were outrageous, for all of the playmates crap. Recently, I have bought out 2 or 3 collections of this stuff with around 50 figures, ships, and other stuff for around $100 I have about 5 gold enterprises in the boxes bought them for a fraction of the cost that they once were. I have a garage full (not kidding) of trek stuff! Along with what is in my house!

Yes, I do. Most of the uncommons are stuffed in a box and I made binders out of the complete sets of commons. I haven't gone through this stuff in years. I suppose before I say "worthless", I should find out if some of the things that you had to mail in a special card to get are worth a dime.

A trekkIE, or a trekkER? I'm of the understanding that to call a person who actively participates in Trek conventions, meetings, etc, can be offended for being called a "trekkie". For these folks, "trekker" is the proper term

I usually just call them nerds. It might be offensive to some, but it's definitely appropriate when describing trekkie/trekkers/whatever they are ;) . I mean, even amongst gaming nerds - Star Trek nerds are on a whole 'nother level.