IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

I believe so,but don't quote me for sure.

I remember seeing this listed about 20 years ago.

After looking at the other ones they have, I will say yes. Great price actually! ;-)

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 1

They are somewhat common. I don't know if there were so much in the Activision dump that was found in the 90s or if this were some kind of press versions that were handed to journalists. I own a Happy Trails cart of that kind.

Wow. He should have pieced everything else out separately. The people buying the KC are most likely not interested in the other stuff. And the other stuff is a pretty decent collection that would command $$ on its own.

Reserve will be in the thousands, guaranteed. Someone with suspiciously low feedback (for this community) has already put in a fairly high proxy bid.

I don't know if you can describe a Keyboard Component as "in working condition" without a tested tape drive. You certainly can't say it's "like new..flawless...intact". They have two videos showing the tape eject. They could have at least run the tape command to show the tape mechanism spinning. We really should have a way to duplicate KC tapes for people that have the KC but no cassettes.

Another Keyboard component from Canada. And despite what the description says, you can't program an Intellivision game with a Keyboard Component. Is that a Flashback supplement overlay set in the photo?

I don't know if you can describe a Keyboard Component as "in working condition" without a tested tape drive. You certainly can't say it's "like new..flawless...intact". They have two videos showing the tape eject. They could have at least run the tape command to show the tape mechanism spinning. We really should have a way to duplicate KC tapes for people that have the KC but no cassettes.

Exactly. Thats what concerns me. If that deck doesnt work its a glorified paperweight. A very cool paperweight mind you, but a paperweight nonetheless :)

Honestly, the whole stuff on the picture isnt even close worth the asked price and I really doubt the reserve will be below the single value of the lot. He safes tons of time and especially discussions about conditions. Its all just thrown in, so no complains about damages on the homebrews possible.

We will see if it will sell and if yes for what price.

He's got a set of my Flashback Controller adapters for the 2609 in one of the pictures. I'll have to check my records to see who bought them from me in Canada. Of course he could have bought them from Intellivision Productions too (I supply them, but don't know who the customers are).

I doubt the tape drive works...

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

He's got a set of my Flashback Controller adapters for the 2609 in one of the pictures. I'll have to check my records to see who bought them from me in Canada. Of course he could have bought them from Intellivision Productions too (I supply them, but don't know who the customers are).

Not to contribute to your cyberstalking :P but I'd be stunned if you had more than one customer from Saskatoon. It isn't exactly Canada's largest city.

• Like 1

despite what the description says, you can't program an Intellivision game with a Keyboard Component.

He's not wrong on this, just a bit misleading:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/keyboard_tech.html

All the money spent on the Keyboard Component didn't go totally to waste; as the ranks of the programmers swelled during 1982, development systems could not be assembled fast enough. The bottleneck was the hand-built Magus board -- the interface between the development computer and the Intellivision. Then some bright person realized that a Blue Whale would make a dandy development system! A slightly modified Keyboard Component (dubbed a Black Whale) would accept the compiled object code for a game serially to its internal RAM; that RAM, mapped to the same addresses as an Intellivision cartridge, would be read by the attached Master Component as if it were a cartridge.

While slower to download a game than a Magus board (which read data from the computer over parallel lines), the Black Whale proved to be a quick, cheap solution. By the middle of 1983, half of the development systems in Hawthorne and all of the development systems at Mattel Electronics France used Black Whales.

His claim, essentially, is that he has one of the "slightly modified" KCs. Which would make this thing pretty damned rare. Has ANYONE found one of these so-called Black Whales yet?

That custom case looks like 1000 other things I've seen collectors make over the years. I highly doubt it has any connection to the Mattel days.

Exactly. Thats what concerns me. If that deck doesnt work its a glorified paperweight. A very cool paperweight mind you, but a paperweight nonetheless :)

You're on a forum where people regularly spend $1000 for a piece of folded cardboard. At least this thing can be used to play games and program in BASIC on. What can a box do, other than sit there? ;)

His claim, essentially, is that he has one of the "slightly modified" KCs. Which would make this thing pretty damned rare. Has ANYONE found one of these so-called Black Whales yet.

You know, it would have been so much easier if they had actually painted them blue and black respectively. Sheesh. Inconsiderate! :)

His claim, essentially, is that he has one of the "slightly modified" KCs. Which would make this thing pretty damned rare. Has ANYONE found one of these so-called Black Whales yet?

That custom case looks like 1000 other things I've seen collectors make over the years. I highly doubt it has any connection to the Mattel days.

I thought this one in the links below, sold earlier this year, might be a black whale since the seller was at Mattel Electronics when it closed in 1984. He did describe it as a blue whale however. If anyone ever has contact with him, please ask.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174007-intellivision-ebay-roundup/page-375?do=findComment&comment=3730529

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264995-intellivision-keyboard-component-cassette-deck/

What's the difference with the black whales. Is there even any modification needed to function as described on the Intellivision Productions web site?

Blue whales or black whales, you can't program Intellivision games on them any more than you can an Intellicart.

edit:

Has anyone tried to repair one of these tape drives? Some might just need rubber belts replaced. And some might have working tape drives but no tapes.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I thought this one in the links below, sold earlier this year, might be a black whale since the seller was at Mattel Electronics when it closed in 1984. He did describe it as a blue whale however. If anyone ever has contact with him, please ask.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174007-intellivision-ebay-roundup/page-375?do=findComment&comment=3730529

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264995-intellivision-keyboard-component-cassette-deck/

What's the difference with the black whales. Is there even any modification needed to function as described on the Intellivision Productions web site?

Blue whales or black whales, you can't program Intellivision games on them any more than you can an Intellicart.

edit:

Has anyone tried to repair one of these tape drives? Some might just need rubber belts replaced. And some might have working tape drives but no tapes.

Pretty sure it's this guy, hence my subtle clue.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/157462-intellivision-purchases-and-deals/?p=3176915

I cross referenced the serial number against the serial number database and found a match. Looked for an AA member with the same name and found a member with only a few posts, but discussing a recent KC aqcuisition. 8)