IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

I was initially hesitant, but I eventually went for it. My glasses/contacts correction was -5.5 diopters, soooo I knew there was an "E" at the top of the eye chart, but I couldn't really make it out....maybe if I squinted ;-) My corrected vision (with contacts/glasses) was 20/20 and I had excellent unaided up-close vision. After the surgery (both eyes at once), my eyes eventually settled with one at 20/20 and one at 20/15. The funny thing is that due to the subtle difference between my eyes, the 20/20 one looked blurry by comparison. It was frustrating for a while, but I think my brain eventually compensated and got used to it. I never wear glasses or contacts now, which is awesome and totally worth it. One bad thing, though, is that I no longer have super up-close vision :-( which would suck if I were a jeweler, although this could probably be corrected with glasses. Before, I could see clearly at like 3" away (like reading the writing on coins). Now I have to hold at a minimum distance of around 5-6" or it's blurry. All in all, it's a great trade off. The other downside is cost. It's not covered by insurance, so I paid out of pocket. The cost was $3600, but I took advantage of my Flexible Spending Account benefit through work, which allowed my to use pre-tax money. This brought my final cost below $3000, or roughly a couple of Spikers ;-) Again, it was worth it and it improved my quality of life. I used to have to wear thick prescription safety glasses at work, but I can now wear standard safety glasses made of a plastic, which are lighter, more comfortable, and have better coverage. Also, if I lose or break them, I just grab a new pair.

Lets talk about Spiker: Why is that game so expensive? It show up more often than many other games and its not an UR-rating in the rarity guides, which I can confirm if I count how many Spikers has shown up these year and how many other games (like Learning Funs). I mean its rare, yes, but why does it cost as much as three copies of the second expensived game? I dont understand this, I have the feeling that people just think "Oh Spiker, its about 1500, lets type that in" and they dont care how often it shows up.

On the other side I am very excited how the prices will be in the future. I am very young for an Intellivision-Collector and I doubt that there are many people in my age who share this passion. I wonder if when the older generation retires from collecting the prices will fall down.

Edited by Ignorama

Lets talk about Spiker: Why is that game so expensive? It show up more often than many other games and its not an UR-rating in the rarity guides, which I can confirm if I count how many Spikers has shown up these year and how many other games (like Learning Funs). I mean its rare, yes, but why does it cost as much as three copies of the second expensived game? I dont understand this, I have the feeling that people just think "Oh Spiker, its about 1500, lets type that in" and they dont care how often it shows up.

On the other side I am very excited how the prices will be in the future. I am very young for an Intellivision-Collector and I doubt that there are many people in my age who share this passion. I wonder if when the older generation retires from collecting the prices will fall down.

Somethings in the gaming community will never make sense .lol I remember about 5 years ago a sealed Earthbound was only $200.

I'll never understand it either. If we the buyers set the price then why are we always willing to pay a certain amount for something even if it's not as rare as other games. I guess people don't like to buck the system. :ponder:

I doubt that Spiker is the rarest title. Its maybe the best from the technical side, but I saw plenty of Spikers the last month, but just two Learning Funs, not to mention some other titles. Maybe I miss them everytime, but I really have the feeling that Spiker appears more often.

Spiker is legitimately rare, despite it's frequency on eBay. Other games may come up less on eBay, but those games are more likely to be in collections than Spiker. I think the driving force behind the relative abundance of Spikers on eBay is profit taking. For whatever reason, more people would rather have $1500 in their pocket than an old game on their shelf. If the LFs were selling for $1000, I'd bet there would be more up for sale. Another consideration is the average age/interest of the typical intellivision collector. Based on the age thread, most current collectors are in their 40s. How many will be as passionate at 50, 60, etc? Also, are the younger collectors going to embrace a system that was before their time, especially while they're busy collecting the NES, SNES, Sega, etc of their childhoods? At the end of the day, Spiker is only worth $1500 because we keep buying them. Apparently the cart/manual is now "worth" $875. Sheesh.

• Like 3

I agree with Jason the Spiker issue....rare, and comes up on auction for the $$$$$$. Now I will bother Jason for some Sears games...lol. Have you had time yet???

Pulled everything out yesterday. I'm bowling tonight, but I'll try to take some pics tonight when I get home. Found the manual....both manuals look really nice ;-)

So, silly question here... Anyone here know where to get the image for that spiffy label on that CC3? Or have several of you just "rolled your own"? I nearly died when I thought I'd lost mine, and started frantically popping every Poker & Blackjack I had laying around loose into my system a couple months back. :P

So, silly question here... Anyone here know where to get the image for that spiffy label on that CC3? Or have several of you just "rolled your own"? I nearly died when I thought I'd lost mine, and started frantically popping every Poker & Blackjack I had laying around loose into my system a couple months back. :P

"rolled your own". :)

Steve, the label came with the CC3, did you not get one?

I saw the Game Factory repro boxes IntellivisionDude mentioned on his Facebook page and am seriously considering getting one. The real question though is, can I actually get Game Factory burned to a cart somewhere?

I own both Intellivision CD (Lives and Rocks) so I legally own the ROM image. However I have neither the equipment or experience to burn the game myself. I wouldn't even need a shell as I could reuse an old common one for that purpose.

If any one has any leads, please let me know.

I saw the Game Factory repro boxes IntellivisionDude mentioned on his Facebook page and am seriously considering getting one. The real question though is, can I actually get Game Factory burned to a cart somewhere?

I own both Intellivision CD (Lives and Rocks) so I legally own the ROM image. However I have neither the equipment or experience to burn the game myself. I wouldn't even need a shell as I could reuse an old common one for that purpose.

If any one has any leads, please let me know.

If you were really interested, you could pick up one of the upcoming multicarts and just load Game Factory onto it. Print your own label and voila! I'm not sure how practical it would be, but if the multicart were only $75......I suppose that's still kinda pricey. Might be worth it for Spiker, though.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

If you were really interested, you could pick up one of the upcoming multicarts and just load Game Factory onto it. Print your own label and voila! I'm not sure how practical it would be, but if the multicart were only $75......I suppose that's still kinda pricey. Might be worth it for Spiker, though.

Was thinking the same thing.

The future has so many variances. Why debate the fact that you do not YET have the cart. Get the box in hopes of getting the cart. THESE MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN THE FUTURE.