IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it's almost entirely greedy sellers. I used to think it was solely some insane GSP markup, but...

I was poking around at some lots of Transformers the other day, and I found a lot that probably weighs as much as an INTV console and several games. Shipping to Canada, via GSP, was like $16. Yet we often see single carts, the kinds of things that are $3 US shipping, cost $30 to ship to Canada. It makes no sense unless sellers are inflating their "international" shipping something fierce.

That being said, shipping a single cart from Canada to the US now costs me around $13 USD if I include tracking. But that's just Canada Post going insane over the past couple of years (plus our dollar rising steadily). Ebay won't even let me set the shipping that high for a single cart, so I lose a bit on every sale.

there's no convincing really,

My last package of 4 CIB games , shipped in one small box cost me 30 USD ... But that is what the world has come too.. Not to make a fair profit to make as much as one can get and people are welling to pay...

cheers

G

I honestly believe,though I have not shipped anything internationally lately,that the postal rates have been raised by most countries to increase federal revenue.

We as sellers or buyers have no control over this. It sucks, and it is just another form of taxation that we pay for as consumers. :thumbsdown: :(

I've taken some flack from several people on eBay for what they saw as high rates for international shipping*. There is a general feeling that American sellers are gouging international buyers by jacking up the shipping rates. This perception continues even after sending quotes straight from USPS.com that show otherwise. No one likes to feel like they're being taken advantage of but assuming it is anything other than the going postal rate at any given time is generally inaccurate. Sometimes it's the USPS, sometimes it's the receiving country's postal service, sometimes it's both. But very rarely is it the seller trying to get more from you in postage. Much easier to simply raise the price of the item and charge correct postage than try to "sneak" extra money from someone when the shipping is usually stated in the listing anyway. It's not like anyone is fooled by that.

It is now to the point where I no longer offer shipping outside of the US on eBay anymore**. I may lose a few bidders but it's generally not enough to justify the hassle or the high potential for negative feedback that comes with overseas shipping.

*no I do not use the Global Shipping scam they offer

**I do ship internationally for deals made here since AA members are generally more reasonable and communicate far better

• Like 3

Why are ebay sellers so afraid of negative feedback. It wouldn't stop me as a buyer, depending on what the feedback actually says.

If a seller mis-calculates USPS rates, it would be easy for the buyer to check it. We all have access to the usps web site. It really shouldn't be an issue.

I've taken some flack from several people on eBay for what they saw as high rates for international shipping*. There is a general feeling that American sellers are gouging international buyers by jacking up the shipping rates. This perception continues even after sending quotes straight from USPS.com that show otherwise. No one likes to feel like they're being taken advantage of but assuming it is anything other than the going postal rate at any given time is generally inaccurate. Sometimes it's the USPS, sometimes it's the receiving country's postal service, sometimes it's both. But very rarely is it the seller trying to get more from you in postage. Much easier to simply raise the price of the item and charge correct postage than try to "sneak" extra money from someone when the shipping is usually stated in the listing anyway. It's not like anyone is fooled by that.

It is now to the point where I no longer offer shipping outside of the US on eBay anymore**. I may lose a few bidders but it's generally not enough to justify the hassle or the high potential for negative feedback that comes with overseas shipping.

*no I do not use the Global Shipping scam they offer

**I do ship internationally for deals made here since AA members are generally more reasonable and communicate far better

You may be right to a point , but when you purchase from several sellers from all around the US for CIB games being shipped to Canada you know around what the price of shipping should be.. you really don't need to check. Plus ebay gets better rates I thinking.. So that price of 30 dollars for shipping 4 games was way of..

You are right about just add what you want to the price.. But some sellers try to keep price down to get bids and then add to shipping. It does happen that's all im saying..

Cheers brother

The issue is......... shipping one loose atari 2600 or intellivision cart is now 8.95-12.95. International. (with tracking that will actually track to the destination, which you need because 50% of international buyers claim non-receipt)

Once you go over 13 ounces for international you are *%#^@.

This isn't fantasy it is now a fact in 2017.

www.usps.com

The issue is......... shipping one loose atari 2600 or intellivision cart is now 8.95-12.95. International. (with tracking that will actually track to the destination, which you need because 50% of international buyers claim non-receipt)

Once you go over 13 ounces for international you are *%#^@.

This isn't fantasy it is now a fact in 2017.

www.usps.com

That may be a fact,

but what I posted is a fact as well.

as a matter of fact... lol

Why are ebay sellers so afraid of negative feedback. It wouldn't stop me as a buyer, depending on what the feedback actually says.

I've oft wondered this myself. Let me preface my next few statements by saying I've never sold anything on eBay, but I've bought hundreds of items. Obviously, a lot of negative feedback will be bad and I believe eBay has some form of punishment/restriction/limitation/banning for terrible sellers, but as a buyer I look deeper than just a feedback score. I try to read the neutrals and negatives to look for a pattern. You can usually tell if a seller is chronically terrible, or just victim of a few unsatisfiable customers. When I read feedback saying things like, "Extremely rude" or "non-responsive" I see red flags. If I see "seller refused to pay for return shipping for non-working item" for an item listed as 'untested - no returns' I blame the buyer for not reading the listing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I always check feedback and handle a sub-perfect rating case by case. If I'm on the fence I'll ask the seller a random question about the auction and see how promptly and thoroughly they answer. You can often tell more from a few short sentences than from a 98% feedback rating.

• Like 2

You may be right to a point , but when you purchase from several sellers from all around the US for CIB games being shipped to Canada you know around what the price of shipping should be.. you really don't need to check. Plus ebay gets better rates I thinking.. So that price of 30 dollars for shipping 4 games was way of..

You are right about just add what you want to the price.. But some sellers try to keep price down to get bids and then add to shipping. It does happen that's all im saying..

Cheers brother

You have to understand that the US is a big place, so when you buy things from "all around" the country you will see a variety of shipping rates as they vary greatly depending on the starting location. It is not a set price for size, weight and distance like everyone thinks. The origin and destination matter as well. If one is shipping from or to the middle of nowhere the rate will be higher since it costs more to pick up from, and ship to places that are not picked up/delivered to multiple times a day, everyday due to heavy volume. This is how you can see cheaper rates for longer distances if the item is going somewhere the USPS/Fed Ex/UPS already have a plane scheduled to go to everyday vs. some small town that is almost a special trip for the carrier to deliver to or pick up from.

I can tell you that in the last year I have shipped items to Vancouver and Italy with the rate to Canada being almost $30 while Italy was about $15. Makes no sense to us for the ocean crossing to be cheaper but sometimes it is. And these rates were for packages of empty game boxes (the ones I make) that were less than 3 pounds and under 12 inches in size.

I'm not saying that some idiot sellers don't try and jack up shipping but since it is almost always posted in the listing that never works as potential buyers can see it from the beginning of bidding. Chances are, the varying high rates you are seeing are the actual prices for international shipping or within a few dollars of it. The price gouging on shipping happens far less than you think, well from sellers anyway. You likely have a legitimate complaint but it's usually with the shipping carriers not sellers.

Edited by the1hatman

If a seller mis-calculates USPS rates, it would be easy for the buyer to check it. We all have access to the usps web site. It really shouldn't be an issue.

Sure some buyers don't mind a few negative feedbacks in a seller's score but many others do. It is not simply that no one will bid on their items but that sellers with lower scores will tend to see a lower volume of bids or smaller bidding amounts due to some consternation on the part of buyers. For Buy It Now items, sellers with lower feedback scores will see items take longer to sell or have to relist items more often before they move. Inventory that doesn't move or doesn't move quickly enough costs sellers more in the long run. All of these issues can be mitigated greatly by maintaining a high feedback score (in both raw number and positive score %). The research put into this at times over the years bears this out without question. Keep in mind the cause and effect principle as well; if it really didn't make a noticeable difference then you would not see sellers caring about it. The very fact that you do see sellers express concern over the issue tells you all you need to know about its importance.

It is true that you can check rates on USPS and yet you can see in this very thread people saying they are getting ripped off in shipping when a quick check would show they are usually not. People don't tend to check rates. They just see something from Seattle, WA costing $8 to ship and something from Marlin, WA costing $20 in postage and assume they are getting had since they believe the rates should be about the same. But that's not how the system works so it isn't always true.

The bottom line is, when you are purchasing from a foreign country, you simply have to accept that your shipping can be anywhere between $5 and $30 even for a small item and that the rate can vary wildly from place to place and day to day even within the same origin country. The sellers generally have no control over this yet get the majority of the blame.

I guess what I'm saying is that I always check feedback and handle a sub-perfect rating case by case. If I'm on the fence I'll ask the seller a random question about the auction and see how promptly and thoroughly they answer. You can often tell more from a few short sentences than from a 98% feedback rating.

The problem you'll find with selling to the general public is that so very few people will go the lengths you just stated to get the real story. They want stuff, they want it cheap, they want it fast, they want it perfect and the majority of them don't care to put any time or thought into it. So if they don't like what they see in the feedback score posted at the top of every listing they can quickly move on to the next seller with a nice looking 100% score there without having to really look into it. The same majority are happy to tank that nice 100% rating should any little thing seem off to them regardless of how good of customer service the seller provides when something goes wrong.

All of this is actually why I prefer to sell/trade things here on AA despite not having a lot of the safeguards eBay provides. I find collectors here communicate much better, are more understanding and more knowledgeable about the items so they have a proper sense of what to expect and what to look for. It's just a lot less hassle here but eBay still brings a lot more eyes to your listings so there is a balance you have to achieve.

You have to understand that the US is a big place, so when you buy things from "all around" the country you will see a variety of shipping rates as they vary greatly depending on the starting location. It is not a set price for size, weight and distance like everyone thinks. The origin and destination matter as well. If one is shipping from or to the middle of nowhere the rate will be higher since it costs more to pick up from, and ship to places that are not picked up/delivered to multiple times a day, everyday due to heavy volume. This is how you can see cheaper rates for longer distances if the item is going somewhere the USPS/Fed Ex/UPS already have a plane scheduled to go to everyday vs. some small town that is almost a special trip for the carrier to deliver to or pick up from.

I can tell you that in the last year I have shipped items to Vancouver and Italy with the rate to Canada being almost $30 while Italy was about $15. Makes no sense to us for the ocean crossing to be cheaper but sometimes it is. And these rates were for packages of empty game boxes (the ones I make) that were less than 3 pounds and under 12 inches in size.

I'm not saying that some idiot sellers don't try and jack up shipping but since it is almost always posted in the listing that never works as potential buyers can see it from the beginning of bidding. Chances are, the varying high rates you are seeing are the actual prices for international shipping or within a few dollars of it. The price gouging on shipping happens far less than you think, well from sellers anyway. You likely have a legitimate complaint but it's usually with the shipping carriers not sellers.

Once again you may be right, but with listing Im referring to is was from the same seller I have purchased before, so that theory does not work.

I can say that on few occasion a seller charged me say 10 dollars to ship me two games that I paid for , from somewhere in CA, it cost the less than that to ship to Canada As it showed on the package.. You know what they did out of the blue, They refunded me the difference.. Even though that is was a dollar or so.. Thant my friend is a class act.. Not that a dollar is anything but it just showed the character of that seller. Its funny how people try to defend things around here. Yes it true shipping can vary.. But with what I brought up it was what it was..

Cheers

G

This is from The USPS up to 4lbs, also checked if it mattered from where in the US and it didn't..

First-Class Package International Service®

Affordable International Service

An economical way to send small packages to more than 180 countries. Can send mailpieces up to 4 lbs (cannot exceed $400 in value). Restrictions may apply based on country destination. From $9.50 at Post Office locations and online.

Hide Detailsabout First-Class Package International Service

Notes

Our most affordable international service for small packages

Includes Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International when you ship online to select destinations

Rules & Restrictions

Maximum weight is 64 oz(4 lbs )

Maximum combined length, height, and width is 36 inches (42 inches for rolls/tubes)

Some countries have specific prohibitions and restrictions.

Go to Postal Explorer®

Prepare International Shipments

Edited by m-crew

Once again you may be right, but with listing Im referring to is was from the same seller I have purchased before, so that theory does not work.

Yes it does. Again, the rates change over time going up and down again. So what you see one time may be different than another even from the same place. The overall point is you are not being robbed by a seller. The rates simply jump around and there are a lot of factors involved at any given time.

You know what they did out of the blue, They refunded me the difference.. Even though that is was a dollar or so.. Thant my friend is a class act.. Not that a dollar is anything but it just showed the character of that seller. Its funny how people try to defend things around here. Yes it true shipping can vary.. But with what I brought up it was what it was..

If the difference was only a dollar or so then this is not an example of the occasional $30 shipping charge you originally spoke of and to which I was responding to.

Yes that's a classy move on the seller's part but it's not an example of you getting gouged by falsely increased postage. The seller guessed that rate was around $10 and was apparently pretty close. When you factor in the handling (packaging/transport to a shipping center/time) it is more than fair if the charge was a dollar or two above the actual postage price.

Now if a seller is charging an extra $10-20 on top of a $9.50 postage rate for "handling fees" then you have a point. What I am trying to explain is that this happens far less often than you think. There simply isn't any profit in such a practice for a seller to bother with that kind of thing.

Yes it does. Again, the rates change over time going up and down again. So what you see one time may be different than another even from the same place. The overall point is you are not being robbed by a seller. The rates simply jump around and there are a lot of factors involved at any given time.

If the difference was only a dollar or so then this is not an example of the occasional $30 shipping charge you originally spoke of and to which I was responding to.

Yes that's a classy move on the seller's part but it's not an example of you getting gouged by falsely increased postage. The seller guessed that rate was around $10 and was apparently pretty close. When you factor in the handling (packaging/transport to a shipping center/time) it is more than fair if the charge was a dollar or two above the actual postage price.

Now if a seller is charging an extra $10-20 on top of a $9.50 postage rate for "handling fees" then you have a point. What I am trying to explain is that this happens far less often than you think. There simply isn't any profit in such a practice for a seller to bother with that kind of thing.

It's so nice of you to appoint yourself as the arbiter of price-gouging thresholds and limits. That's awesome! I guess we all have you to thank for policing eBay and keeping the greedy scum sellers off the grid. :thumbsup:

m-crew, don't worry about the ratings or the price irregularities -- you can be all warm and fuzzy, safe in the knowledge that the1hatman has already reviewed and purged the bad apples, so those discrepancies are all normal and not at all an intentional profit grab with nickel-and-dime tactics. It's all good! Thanks the1hatman, and Merry Christmas! :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

A difference of 20 dollars within months does not happen, really I don't know what your trying to say. That 10 shipping was just a point I was trying to get across.. Really

you know because you get things shipped to you from The US across the Canadian boarder all the time right?

I have bought lots of games off of ebay, and on occasion when I message the seller and say that shipping rate seems high.. They change it..

But hey what do I know as you say im not getting robbed by the seller because you tell me that im not.. Really

Lets agree not to agree and move on.

Merry Christmas Eve , enjoy your time with the family

Cheers

It's so nice of you to appoint yourself as the arbiter of price-gouging thresholds and limits. That's awesome! I guess we all have you to thank for policing eBay and keeping the greedy scum sellers off the grid. :thumbsup:

m-crew, don't worry about the ratings or the price irregularities -- you can be all warm and fuzzy, safe in the knowledge that the1hatman has already reviewed and purged the bad apples, so those discrepancies are all normal and not at all an intentional profit grab with nickel-and-dime tactics. It's all good! Thanks the1hatman, and Merry Christmas! :)

-dZ.

Thank You DZ, I wish I read your response first.. because you say things as they are!!!

Cheers

By the way, seriously and without a hint of irony, resentment, or sarcasm, I wish everyone here and their families a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

You can burn me for my previous snarky comment, and I probably deserve it (sorry, I just couldn't resist!), but you won't kill my spirit! :) It's Christmas Eve and I'm ready for a party! :party:

-dZ.

• Like 1

By the way, seriously and without a hint of irony, resentment, or sarcasm, I wish everyone here and their families a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

You can burn me for my previous snarky comment, and I probably deserve it (sorry, I just couldn't resist!), but you won't kill my spirit! :) It's Christmas Eve and I'm ready for a party! :party:

-dZ.

Like Wise DZ, and all !!!!