IGNORED

Oxide on chip legs

Richard H.

Bought a load of chips on EBay, the legs have a sort of oxide on them that won't let solder through. I've tried flux and tinning with the iron turned fully up, but it still won't stick. Scraping sort of works, but it bends the legs (surface mount)

Is there some easily available chemical (acid ?) I can use to get it off ?

Thanks

Edited by Richard H.

Maybe some CLR and a toothbrush? Doubt it though. Extremely fine sandpaper or a fiberglass brush works best. Lightly sand both sides of the legs until shiny again and yes, this can be done without bending or breaking the legs if you're careful.

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

Chips are sealed in epoxy (or plastic? What is that black shit anyways/) Maybe you could drop them in a jewelry cleaner machine? They use chemicals and vibration to take corrosion off of jewelry, maybe it could take oxide off chips. If you don't mind ruining (or risking ruining) you could try this. If it works, or the caused failure rate is acceptable, I think this would be a good solution.

Other suggestions are to use a reducing agent. I am not a chemist, but I think reducing agents remove oxidation. I looked some up and see that hydrogen peroxide can act as a reducing agent. I also see ascorbic acid on the list (which I believe is in vitamin C pills.)

I have had the same problem with oxidation but on some through hole pads on PCBs. Fortunately the oxide is just on one side so I can solder the chips to the top, but it would be nice to be able to clean them, so I may try a few things later.

I'm in the same boat, with a bunch of EPROMs. If anyone has any solutions, please reply.

I'm trying the hydrogen peroxide right now. It's only 6% solution, and the chips are pretty "dirty", so I've got my doubts.

If I had some CLR, I'd try that. I have no idea if it will work, but it'd be a simple solution if it works as well as the commercials.

Another thing I've thought of is to put the chips in a container partially filled with dry sand, and shake it up until the pins look clean. Of course the labeling and package and EPROM window, in my case, will also be sanded to some degree.

A sand box could work, just tape over the windows/labels and you should be OK

Right, sounds like how to get rust out of a gas tank, and seems like it would work here and you'd need very fine grit sand. LOL sand from Nazca should do it.

/edit To clarify, the white sand found at Nazca is finely ground glass. No idea how it got there, but you can definitely make your own for a project like this. Tools: piece of glass to be ground up, one heavy stone with a flat surface and one flat surface, best if it is stone, too. Stone Age electronics :thumbsup:

Edited by nathanallan

I looked some up and see that hydrogen peroxide can act as a reducing agent.
I'm trying the hydrogen peroxide right now. It's only 6% solution, and the chips are pretty "dirty", so I've got my doubts.

If I had some CLR, I'd try that. I have no idea if it will work, but it'd be a simple solution if it works as well as the commercials.

You Fail Chemistry Forever. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, which is the opposite of a reducing agent. If you want to clean an oxide off a metal, you don't use an oxidizer to do it! Hydrogen peroxide, bleach, and a large number of other chemicals will rapidly create oxides and their chemical relatives on metal surfaces. I have personally used bleach to almost instantly "rust" a length of brand-new shiny metal chain for use as a halloween prop. It was much easier, more authentic looking, and more durable than painting it...

CLR, Tarn-X, vinegar, or another acid would be much better alternatives.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I looked some up and see that hydrogen peroxide can act as a reducing agent.

You Fail Chemistry Forever. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, which is the opposite of a reducing agent.

Nope. Hydrogen peroxide can act as either an oxidizing or reducing agent.

Funny link though.

When I used to collect coins, I found that adding a little salt to the vinegar rapidly increased the reaction time. That is, it would clean them in seconds instead of hours.

I was also thinking an electrolysis method may also work. Try a weak salt solution with a small current and two metal plates, and rest the chip on one of the plates (or perhaps hold it down) on the plate to make better contact. Alternatively you could try a non electric method like holding it against a plate of galvanized steel in solution.

Does anyone know what metal chip pins are made of? Tin maybe?

The vinegar soaking did not work at all :sad:

How long did it soak? I know, oddly, that if you soak metal in vinegar for a frew hours, it can take rust off...but if it stays in to long, it will actually reverse the effect and cause the metal to rust.

Heh, plaiting, that might be cool, if you don't fry the chip.

Try jewelry polish, or maybe you can use toothpaste, it takes some scratches off CD's, maybe it can help on metal too?

When I used to collect coins, I found that adding a little salt to the vinegar rapidly increased the reaction time. That is, it would clean them in seconds instead of hours.

[snip]

Does anyone know what metal chip pins are made of? Tin maybe?

Vinegar (acetic acid) is a weak acid. Acetic acid + NaCl (salt) produces hydrochloric acid, a strong acid. But everything I've ever read on coin collecting says don't clean them, if they have any value, because you'll only reduce it.

I'm not sure about surface-mount IC leads, but I know older through-hole component leads were typically either copper or mild steel, tinned with either pure tin or the usual 63/37 lead/tin solder. You could tell the steel from the copper because the steel ones are attracted to magnets. Today they're probably all tinned with either pure tin or one of today's 2/98 silver/tin solders or some similar low toxicity stuff, but I don't know if IC pins now are copper (doubtful -- too soft), plain mild steel, or some specific alloy.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 4 years later...