IGNORED

Mold

Scootiecat

What is the best way to get mold off of a 2600? Mine were in storage and now have mold and I am very allergic to them.

How would mold get on a console in storage? Was it damp and/or wet where it was stored?

As mentioned above, spray your console down with some Lysol then follow up with wiping it down with 91% or greater isopropyl alcohol to kill the germs.

I lived in California for 3 years and both apartments I lived in were very wet and moldy. I couldn't afford a better apartment. So that's how the mold got on there. I will go the Lysol and Isopropyl Alcohol route.

Are you the same person who has the dust covered handheld games? If so, I can see how the 2600 would be so bad. Makes me not want to ever go to Cali. icon_sad.gif

* wonders what condition in the internal electronics are in *

After you get that thing cleaned up, and when you decide to store it away again, keep it indoors, and perhaps sealed with a dessicant pack to help fend off further moisture and mold.

I lived in California for 3 years and both apartments I lived in were very wet and moldy. I couldn't afford a better apartment. So that's how the mold got on there. I will go the Lysol and Isopropyl Alcohol route.

That's pretty gross.I get chills just thinking about that!

No, I'm not the same person who has the dust covered handheld games.

Rik, the apartments grossed me out too. The housing authority made numerous visits to the buildings. But I didn't have much of a selection. I am very poor because I'm disabled.

I finally moved back to WI and I have low rent, so I live in a nice, clean, non-moldy apartment now. So once I get the systems cleaned up, they should stay fine. My 5200, 7800, INTV, Coleco Telstar Alpha, Stunt Cycle, and TurboGrafx 16 are all fine.

As for the innards of the 2600s, I've only used my 4 switch so far, but it works fine, so I doubt that there is any damage to it.

No, I'm not the same person who has the dust covered handheld games.

Rik, the apartments grossed me out too. The housing authority made numerous visits to the buildings. But I didn't have much of a selection. I am very poor because I'm disabled.

I finally moved back to WI and I have low rent, so I live in a nice, clean, non-moldy apartment now. So once I get the systems cleaned up, they should stay fine. My 5200, 7800, INTV, Coleco Telstar Alpha, Stunt Cycle, and TurboGrafx 16 are all fine.

As for the innards of the 2600s, I've only used my 4 switch so far, but it works fine, so I doubt that there is any damage to it.

I assume you're renting?I hear ya, but IMO, it's still not right for someone just because they're poor to live in terrible conditions.There should be laws to throw neglecting landlords in jail or heavy fines.A poor person may not have a fancy apartment, but they should be free of mold, pests, etc, at LEAST.Good luck in the future with this situation! ;), as i see you already have! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik

I assume you're renting?I hear ya, but IMO, it's still not right for someone just because they're poor to live in terrible conditions.There should be laws to throw neglecting landlords in jail or heavy fines.A poor person may not have a fancy apartment, but they should be free of mold, pests, etc, at LEAST.Good luck in the future with this situation! icon_wink.gif, as i see you already have! icon_thumbsup.gif

100%

And I'd wonder if you have respiratory problems in the future, if you could get compensation from the landlord.

I suppose you can consider me a **** and a **** and a ****, and whatever else they called the guy in that thread. I AA'd my L6 a few months ago and it looks pretty nice. But I considered the ramification of my efforts and took precautions.

- I spent a while cleaning it first, getting all the dust/crud out of all the crevices.

- After I AA'd it, I spent some amount of time wiping all the excess off, especially in crevices, and I have not noticed any dust cling.

- I used the AA wipes, not spray, so there's not overspray into anything sensitive, and the AA was only applied where I wanted.

There are some people who prefer to keep their consoles au-natural/original. If they don't want to AA their equipment, then so be it. They don't have to, and all the more power to them. The fight that ensued went way out of line for all parties concerned, and that thread deserved to be closed.

...that thread deserved to be closed.

Except that someone should have been allowed to respond to what is now the very last post. The link provided to supposedly show an electronic equipment maker's endorsement of the use of Armor All, in fact goes to the website of a maker of pressure and vacuum gauges, which are mechanical, not electronic.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I suppose you can consider me a **** and a **** and a **** ........ I AA'd ....... After I AA'd it ..... the AA wipes .... AA was only applied where I wanted..... they don't want to AA their equipment ......

i will call you **** and **** and **** if you ever use the abbreviation AA again ... AA stands for AtariAge!!!!! :x :lol: