IGNORED

Help choose my next sound update.

tep392

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you like to see updated next?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So I'm thinking about my next sound update project, and I'd like to do a little survey to get some votes on what I do next.

I'm looking at DigDug, Xevious, Galaga or Centipede. The reason I'm looking at these is two-fold. First, the 7800 source code is available which will make it fairly easy to replace the old sound code with my own. Second, all of these, except Centipede have been coded for the YM2151 on the X68000, which will make my job a lot easier.

Centipede would actually be a POKEY update because that is what the original arcade machine used. I'm including it in the list because it's a game I really enjoy. If I do it, I will use the version with the trackball hack.

If the game needs some minor graphical or gameplay updates, I might do a little of that as well.

I've attached some YM2151 samples from the X68000 if you want to know what these games could sound like. :)

Let me know what you think.

Perry

digdug.mp3

galaga.mp3

xevious.mp3

• Like 1

Xevious might be the easiest, as it seems from my perception, that most people are satisfied with the current presentation, apart from the sound. Galaga would probably be one of the biggest improvements sound-wise, but would likely get the most suggestions for "improvement" from us, giving you a fair work-out. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

I would have to say that Galaga would be wonderful, but in retrospect and looking at the games, Xevious would be the one that would see the most improvement with a sound hack. I'd prefer Galaga though. I voted for Centipede because it's my favorite arcade game.

Edited by Lendorien

• 2 years later...

Perry, I just want to take a moment and thank you for the remarkable work you've done (especially with DK) and are doing with regards to sound, and the updates. It's awesome that you are taking the time to get things as close as possible to their arcade counterparts.

Basically, I just want to say - excellent work! :)

Blob

• Like 2