IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

On 2/24/2021 at 10:29 AM, doctorclu said:

I understand some BBSs used to have mods that could be played while visiting?

At one time, there was an app/script for BBS Express! ST that would allow you to play

music through the speaker of any Hayes compatible modem. DarkForce had this up and

running at one point. It was actually pretty fun. Unfortunately, when we switched to

telnet only, we lost the ability to use it and it was never updated to support some other

means of playing the music. Musicomm, I think was it's name...

Too bad the Lantronix UDS-10 doesn't have a speaker.  :)

Got a picture somewhere...

Musicomm.thumb.PNG.7a3104349c64badc527694d2a5ccba01.PNG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

At one time, there was an app/script for BBS Express! ST that would allow you to play

music through the speaker of any Hayes compatible modem. DarkForce had this up and

running at one point. It was actually pretty fun. Unfortunately, when we switched to

telnet only, we lost the ability to use it and it was never updated to support some other

Too bad the Lantronix UDS-10 doesn't have a speaker.  :)

Got a picture somewhere...

Musicomm.thumb.PNG.7a3104349c64badc527694d2a5ccba01.PNG

Time for a new device that would do this again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Uh... no... I think we've sailed the ship of new devices.... maybe we could circle around and make some of the other devices work correctly before we go down that road.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DarkLord said:

If you have a second serial port, can you play music through a Hayes compatible modem hooked up to the second serial port?

-JP

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Wait... 1990 and he's only going to 2400 baud?????????????

Wait you think that's the only quirk - try, it need a joystick port style dongle to run - A ring detector in reverse, the 6 pin constant and will answer when its released.. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

If you have a second serial port, can you play music through a Hayes compatible modem hooked up to the second serial port?

-JP

Don't know - don't have a second serial port on DarkForces' Mega ST4.  :(

I would assume not though, unless the call was coming into *that* serial port...

The BBS sends the data.

An .ACC (desk accessory) on the ST, on the callers' end, plays the music.

19 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Hmmm... Atari only for the modem music?   Wonder with term program?  (not sure if that was mentioned).

Wonder if the service that gave Dark Forces a dialup number when you dial in would let you use the hayes modem protocols?

On 3/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, doctorclu said:

Hmmm... Atari only for the modem music?   Wonder with term program?  (not sure if that was mentioned).

Wonder if the service that gave Dark Forces a dialup number when you dial in would let you use the hayes modem protocols?

Okay, this is pretty amazing to me (and shows what a chowder-head I can be sometimes but....check this out!)  :)

Can I just ask, is everyone experiencing the [Enter] issue under Syncterm running a Pi under Raspbian?

Because I was experiencing the issue and recently decided to wipe and install TwisterOS on my Pi400, not only does TwisterOS crap all over Raspbian (it's not only faster, it's 'clearer' and more configurable). Anyway, I installed Syncterm as I always do by installing libncurses5-dev followed by libsdl1.2-dev and compiling from source and upon connecting to Southern Amis using ATASCII the return key and the backspace keys work as they should! No pressing [Ctrl] & [Enter].

So there you go, the issue isn't with the BBS or Syncterm - It's the operating system.

Oh...And thanks Amis for noticing that I couldn't log in as I forgot to note down the screenie of my password before wiping and reformatting and helping me login, you saved my ass!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:24 AM, JohnPolka said:

44cnjg.jpg

JP,

I signed up to Basement BBS and was enjoying reading all the past bantering when I was kicked off as I went over the time limit! Must be one busy BBS to have a time limit still active. ;) 

A great BBS, I'll be back, to read the rest of the messages - And to hopefully have time to post a message of my own!

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

JP,

I signed up to Basement BBS and was enjoying reading all the past bantering when I was kicked off as I went over the time limit! Must be one busy BBS to have a time limit still active. ;) 

A great BBS, I'll be back, to read the rest of the messages - And to hopefully have time to post a message of my own!

Your account was not validated yet. :)  But now that you are validated, you have more time.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I see, I thought it was odd that my session was limited. Cheers John!

Yeah, we are all about the old school (or should I say old skool?) experience! That includes a "validation" process like back in the day. :)

-JP

• Like 1

Yeah, we are all about the old school (or should I say old skool?) experience! That includes a "validation" process like back in the day. [emoji4]

-JP

I thought about making all new users validated. It isn’t really like the old days where we didn’t want someone loging in a d leech all our warez and then leave.

I know in some instances it would allow hackers to log on and post dumb messages but I don’t know how often this really would be an issue. What do you think?

13 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

I thought about making all new users validated. It isn’t really like the old days where we didn’t want someone loging in a d leech all our warez and then leave.

I know in some instances it would allow hackers to log on and post dumb messages but I don’t know how often this really would be an issue. What do you think?

Validate with the exception of Visitors is my current set up. I agreed, back in the day, validated and the tiers of access were incentive to contribute as well as controls access to warez. No longer needed 

@moonlight_mile

Instant grabbification is no longer a thing and today we want them to leech... however, levels still matter

sysops still need their private channel, networking still needs protecting, and certain people still need to stay away from posting... it's all fun and games until someone spams your eyes out and fills your message bases. Sometimes you just have a weenie who flames, fights, and simply won't go away.

passwords, limits, and blacklisters still need to be, even to this day.

Also consider there are still some pieces of software and images that are not in the public for various reasons. You won't find them at the usual places and you certainly won't find them on the forums.

Alcatraz of all places should know who is a visitor, who should be admitted, who is general population, who should be restricted, who should be restrained,  that the guards need an area, and that The Wardens still need a room to be away from all of that.

The chow hall is still segregated. Some people should still be in solitary!!

:)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Here at DarkForce, the validation process is still in effect. It's pretty generic

and invisible to the caller though.

Visitors obviously are restricted from a lot of things. That's just the nature

of the beast. There's plenty enough content available to them though, for

them to figure out whether or not they want to sign up permanently.

BBS Express! ST v1.98a will allow the SysOp to set parameters so that a

first time caller has a lot more permissions than a visitor. It also will allow

the SysOp to "hold" that first time caller until the SysOp validates them. I 

decided not to take that route because I was worried that I might be gone

for a few days and not call in to check, leaving the anxious and eager first

time caller who really wants to be part of the Darkforce group unable to

advance and use all of the BBS's resources and features. So...I've got it

set so that if a first time caller is interested enough to call back and login

again, they are auto-validated on the 2nd call. Good enough for me.  :)

Note that I still do check for new callers pretty much every time I login as

SysOp, just to keep on top of things.

Interesting historical stuff, way back in the day, when we were dial-up, I

had a script running that would auto-call the first time users' phone number.

If it failed, no validation, if it connected and was a legitimate number, then

they were validated. I don't miss that though - there were too many chances

for errors. Example, nobody answers, busy signal, etc, etc,...

• Like 3