IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

My sister and her teenage son are visiting. Naturally the boy gets on the computer today and goes looking for mischief.

Come to find out, he loves classic gaming (my sis taught him well.) and is asking about the XM of all things. (Seems I didn't clear my browser history well enough.)

So, there might be another new convert planning on getting in on the action. I'll have to buy the module, while he pays me back over time, but looks like we have new blood joining the ranks and that can never be too bad. :)

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 3

And done. :)

Always assumed the "first round" to get them would be people who were developing apps/games for the system and those who were involved with the system development, itself, with others after some testing had been done. Corby and the rest of us will be rewarded for our patience, soon enough. ;)

Whatever the case, I want to dev for this add on system.

Personally I'd say learn to develop for the stock system first. XM just gives you "more" of everything but the fundamentals of how the machine operates remain the same.

how hard is it to develop for the system if a person has never made a game for a system before.

how hard is it to develop for the system if a person has never made a game for a system before.

Its difficult to say. It depends on your background and skill set. Do you know any other high level computer languages? Are you happy teaching yourself? Do you know about colour depth, how sprites work, implementing algorithms/physics using simple arithmetic, logic, number bases other than 10 etc.?

You might be better off learning to program on a PC to grasp the fundamentals of what makes a game tick before starting on a constrained system like the 7800.

Its difficult to say. It depends on your background and skill set. Do you know any other high level computer languages? Are you happy teaching yourself? Do you know about colour depth, how sprites work, implementing algorithms/physics using simple arithmetic, logic, number bases other than 10 etc.?

You might be better off learning to program on a PC to grasp the fundamentals of what makes a game tick before starting on a constrained system like the 7800.

Okay thanks for the advice. Does it matter what windows version my PC has. I have one with windows XP and one with Vista.. So far I have taken C programming, visual basic and matlab.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

Okay thanks for the advice. Does it matter what windows version my PC has. I have one with windows XP and one with Vista.. So far I have taken C programming, visual basic and matlab.

I'd recommend heading over to the programming forums and checking out the links in the pinned threads as a good starting point. The majority of people reading this thread are just interested in XM news so it'd probably be better to start a specific thread in the programming sections if you can't find the answer(s) you need.

Dev/Test units are being assembled tonight and tomorrow to ship out, if they are okay and no major changes are needed after about a week, I'll start assembly and shipping the first batch of about 25-30 units, then get the next batch out about a week later and so on...

• Like 6

Dev/Test units are being assembled tonight and tomorrow to ship out, if they are okay and no major changes are needed after about a week, I'll start assembly and shipping the first batch of about 25-30 units, then get the next batch out about a week later and so on...

Special favor... possible to get a test unit to either me or Madaracs? Madaracs is hosting a retro party this coming Saturday, and a bunch of us tech minded folk would love to test it out for you at the party. Thanks.

I see there is a revised shipment date on the site

Original Release Date: November 30th

Projected Shipment Date (Batch#1): Approx. May 24th-27th

wonder how many units are in batch#1, and if I made the cut

Atarinerd, you are such a child...I just received shipment of an item I had ordered a couple of months back. Except I had forgotten specifically about it - that is, it had slipped my mind that it was being shipped and I was temporarily at a loss as to what was delivered. So, running through my mental check-list, I lighted temporarily upon the possibility of it being the XM. Now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the XM, have great hope for it, but like some, will be happier when it's in my greedy little hands before it will feel completely solid and real. Any onlooker would have been greeted by the goofiest grin, however, for that slight instant before memory kicked in and reality settled in place. ;)