IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

I don't think you have to worry about POKEY specific .bins for the XM. If a game requires POKEY it will use either the CC2,XM or x-board depending which one is fitted.

I don't think you have to worry about POKEY specific .bins for the XM. If a game requires POKEY it will use either the CC2,XM or x-board depending which one is fitted.

But from what we're reading, if a game uses an internal pokey (and a CC2 pokey?) then the volume level will be too low for pokey sound, when plugged into the XM.

desiv

Edited by desiv

But from what we're reading, if a game uses an internal pokey (and a CC2 pokey?) then the volume level will be too low for pokey sound, when plugged into the XM.

desiv

Yes that is what I have been reading too. Unfortunately, the POKEY release of Beef Drop gives precedence to an internal POKEY vs. an XBoard POKEY (which would also effect the XM if it works the same as far as being turned off), so it would effect it also if this is the case. Beef Drop actually always updates both POKEY's registers but it turns off the XBoard one if both are detected. On a CC2, you could just use a startup/map combination to disable POKEY but that won't work for the real cartridge.

Ken

Edited by kenfused

But if you DON'T install POKEY in the cc2, problem solved

If the games on the CC2 will passthru to the Pokey on the XM ok, then yes for that.

(I'm not sure if it matters where the Pokey is mapped?? That's way beyond me..)

It sounds like maybe not for cartridges that have a Pokey on them already tho??

(Like Beef Drop)

desiv

I wouldn't worry about the cart/CC2 audio because there is a new audio circuit which corrects the problem (and some others). I just need to tweak component values to make sure that all 18 channels of audio (worst case) work fine when played all together without clipping (which causes audio distortion). I'll be posting before and after audio clips when I'm happy with the results.

• Like 2

I would rather wait and get an XM that works than have to ship it back and wait for XM 2.0. I suggest that the Atari Age Store have a section dedicated to the XM-enabled games.

1- Are end users going to be able to shop via the AA store for XM enhanced carts (like Pac Man Plus Pokey and Pokey Kong), or do we have to search the forums and ask the developers for copies?

2- I just bought a 7800 off of Best Electronics. I saw that there may be a power issue for the XM with some 7800 power supplies? Is this an issue with the standard (real) Atari power supplies vs. 3rd party copies, or issues with different 7800s (I know there were different hardware revisions).

I wouldn't worry about the cart/CC2 audio because there is a new audio circuit which corrects the problem (and some others). I just need to tweak component values to make sure that all 18 channels of audio (worst case) work fine when played all together without clipping (which causes audio distortion). I'll be posting before and after audio clips when I'm happy with the results.

Very cool...Thank you, it is very much appreciated.

I would rather wait and get an XM that works than have to ship it back and wait for XM 2.0.

I'm not sure where you got your information from but there won't be an XM 2.0, nor will anybody have to send their units back.

1- Are end users going to be able to shop via the AA store for XM enhanced carts (like Pac Man Plus Pokey and Pokey Kong), or do we have to search the forums and ask the developers for copies?

As with all homebrew development titles may or may not appear in the store. Your best bet will be to check AA more regularly after the XM is released to make sure that you get on any pre-order lists.

2- I just bought a 7800 off of Best Electronics. I saw that there may be a power issue for the XM with some 7800 power supplies? Is this an issue with the standard (real) Atari power supplies vs. 3rd party copies, or issues with different 7800s (I know there were different hardware revisions).

If your 7800 has a problem playing carts especially CC2, Harmony, Commando or Ballblazer then I suspect that it'll also have a problem with the XM. Depending on the nature of the fault, changing the external PSU may or may not fix your particular problem. Sorry for the vague answer but the vast majority of 7800s out in the wild should be fine.

I would rather wait and get an XM that works than have to ship it back and wait for XM 2.0.

I'm not sure where you got your information from but there won't be an XM 2.0, nor will anybody have to send their units back.

-->I just meant that I would rather wait for a fully functional and bug-free XM than have to send a faulty unit back (e.g. Microsoft's first XBox 360 units in 2005), that's all.

Thanks for the answers GroovyBee.

I just meant that I would rather wait for a fully functional and bug-free XM than have to send a faulty unit back (e.g. Microsoft's first XBox 360 units in 2005), that's all.

Thanks for the clarification. Recalling would be an enormous hassle and stressful for all parties concerned so we'll be avoiding that ;).

Thanks for the answers GroovyBee.

No probs!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Curt and Marty's huge, enormous, awesome brains have been working on their amazing, awesome, great, cool book about Atari history that is to come out soon! :) I'm sure there's also a LOT of midnight oil sessions hammering out all the details involving the XM.....so excited! :D

• Like 2

Well, judging from what Groovy has been saying, it sounds it's definitely in the home stretch now. I think it will be out in at most 3 more months, possibly end of June! :)

ok will go with what you said..Are you the man behind the curtain?? Oh great Oz... June¿?

Well, judging from what Groovy has been saying, it sounds it's definitely in the home stretch now. I think it will be out in at most 3 more months, possibly end of June! :)

Was a year mentioned, it could be June 2018

Sorry guys, I'm delayed in getting back some updates to Mark, he just sent over what is the production version of the BIOS to me which I have to burn and test on real hardware. I owe him some feedback on a few things.

As for insertion and removal of the XM, if there are no peripherals or keyboard connected to it, it pops right on and off with not much more difficulty then a cartridge, one of the very first videos of the cartridge testings of the XM showed how easy it is, its not like The Voice, its much easier to remove the XM off of the 7800 if needed....

I will try to get something more substantial in the way of an update posted soon, really sorry.