IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

Hm so pokey carts conflict with xm. i guess there only 2 of them so no big deal.

Honestly, yet selfishly, makes me kind of glad I lost my Beef Drop Pokey Edition and only have the Value Edition cartridge now.

" Now on sale on all Commando carts 1/2 off!"

Lol

Ve beef drop + XM = pokey.

Edited by Jinks

Ve beef drop + XM = pokey.

Exactly :grin:

Using the XM, as it stands now, I would not be able to enjoy the Pokey effects from a Beef Drop Pokey cart; however, with the Value Edition it's (believed to be) a non-issue.

Unless, I'm misunderstanding... :ponder:

Well, pokey compatibility issues are not that big a deal I think, given that there are only a few games that use it. It'll be unfortunate to have to remove the xm to play them, but all in all, it's a minor inconvenience. Just include a disclaimer in the manual.

There will probably be hacks of those two games made that will be XM compatable anyway. I've already made versions of Plutos and Sirius that make use of the XM's memory instead of having the memory on the cart itself, so I assume the same can be done with the Pokey.

BTW, if the Pokey on the XM is at address $450, why would it interfere with the 'standard' Pokey at $4000? (Just a curious question)

Bob

BTW, if the Pokey on the XM is at address $450, why would it interfere with the 'standard' Pokey at $4000? (Just a curious question)

Bob

I don't believe the issue is not so much it interfers, but the problem is the XM plays the Pokey effects with carts that have the chip onboard too low or soft that it can be barely heard if heard at all.

See Curt's reply here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175033-xm-status-page/page__st__1100?do=findComment&comment=2510808

Edited by Trebor

Bob

I don't believe the issue is not so much it interfers, but the problem is the XM plays the Pokey effects with carts that have the chip onboard too low or soft that it can be barely heard if heard at all.

See Curt's reply here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175033-xm-status-page/page__st__1100?do=findComment&comment=2510808

why not have a small amplifier and a switch or circut to toggle it?

There will probably be hacks of those two games made that will be XM compatable anyway. I've already made versions of Plutos and Sirius that make use of the XM's memory instead of having the memory on the cart itself, so I assume the same can be done with the Pokey.

Bob

Dude if you could add ym sound to plutos and sirius that would be way cool to those two pretty much non audio titles.

It's not that they conflict, they just cause the audio system to play too low to hear.

CC2 compatibility was always the # 1 priority with the XM, it's a must. Also making it work well with the xboards was put on the to dos so that any games that used it would work on the XM ad well

I do like the Joe Decuir quote though... Would make a good tshirt

Curt

That's weird. Wouldn't this same issue pop up on XL/XE systems where people have installed a secondary Pokey chip? Or is it mainly due to the Pokey chip being essentially non-standard hardware on the 7800?

Just a question. I am totally looking forward to my XM. I was reading in another thread about some 7800s having problems with Harmony chip games because of the limited power output of certain units. My two 78s both have severe problems running my Berzerk VE which is on a Melody cart. My point is, I'm sure the XM draws far more than a Harmony chip so can anyone debunk the question of power supply? Maybe I should get a third 78 to hedge my bets? I just want to be ready to go when mine gets here and make sure nothing comes between me and Bentley Bear. Just trying to avoid Murphy's Law.

Has the XM been tested on some quirky units for the sake of argument?

Same here... I know Curt seemed busy with the book and all... I curious about the XM myself.

Is there going to be a Crystal Castles port for the XM? That would be awesome. Hope it has trakball support if possible when it comes out.

I am totally looking forward to my XM.

:D

I was reading in another thread about some 7800s having problems with Harmony chip games because of the limited power output of certain units. My two 78s both have severe problems running my Berzerk VE which is on a Melody cart. My point is, I'm sure the XM draws far more than a Harmony chip so can anyone debunk the question of power supply? Maybe I should get a third 78 to hedge my bets? I just want to be ready to go when mine gets here and make sure nothing comes between me and Bentley Bear. Just trying to avoid Murphy's Law.

Has the XM been tested on some quirky units for the sake of argument?

The XM will be tested on as many units as possible before it ships. If your 7800 has problems with powering existing carts then there is more than a good chance it'll have problems with the XM too.

Personally I don't have any quirky units to test the XM on and if I did, it wouldn't be a quirky unit for very long ;).

Same here... I know Curt seemed busy with the book and all... I curious about the XM myself.

Is there going to be a Crystal Castles port for the XM? That would be awesome. Hope it has trakball support if possible when it comes out.

:? I'm not sure how you get to Crystal Castles from the mention of a book.

I grabed the wrong quote. Someone Mentioned Bently Bear. My bad lol. I have searched other treads & found nothing about a Crystal Castles in development

Edited by shaky

I'd posted something on that forum about the new Crystal castle game for the 7800 or was it for the XM... I'm thinking its for the 7800 alone. It's a little off topic from this one but a very note whorthy mention I must say. :)

It'll be unfortunate to have to remove the xm to play them, but all in all, it's a minor inconvenience. Just include a disclaimer in the manual.

I suppose that all depends on how easy or not it is to remove the XM.

I know with my O2 Voice system if I had to remove it to play games, those games wouldn't get played.

desiv

Its very easy. I'm pretty sure that there is a video on Curt's Atari museum XM status page showing the XM being put on a 7800 and taken off again.

I know with my O2 Voice system if I had to remove it to play games, those games wouldn't get played.

Hopefully that won't be the case with very many of the 2600/7800 games. Anything that we find which isn't compatible for whatever reason(s) will be documented on Curt's site. Obviously Curt and I don't have complete collections of every 2600 cart produced but we'll be doing a ton of testing with what we have got before shipping.

It'll be unfortunate to have to remove the xm to play them, but all in all, it's a minor inconvenience. Just include a disclaimer in the manual.

desiv

From the design, it's much like the 32x or the Sega Master Power Base converter. It fits into the cartridge slot like a game would.

From the design, it's much like the 32x or the Sega Master Power Base converter. It fits into the cartridge slot like a game would.

I know.

That's the same with the Odyssey II Voice module.

Except that removing that behemoth is a real pain, so once you put it on, it stays... (Well, you "can" take it back out)

The XM looks similar, except it's more than a bit sleeker, so I'm hoping that removal is much easier if needed.

I have a CC2, which I was planning on putting a Pokey chip in (I still have to desolder it from where it is now).

Although, if they come up with some CC2 bins for the games that have a pokey to use the pokey in the XM instead, I probably wouldn't ever need to remove the XM either..

Of course, if I get the XM, added to what I spent for the CC2, and then what I spent for the 7800, I will have spent more on it than I would an XBOX360 (on sale)...

And I wouldn't feel a bit bad about that.. ;-)

desiv