IGNORED

Q*Bert's Cubes Walkthrough

Stan

With the success and awesomeness of my Quest for Quintana Roo walkthrough, I figured I'd do one for this game because I know a lot of people have said it's incredibly difficult. I know when I first received it from Phantom awhile ago I couldn't figure out how in the hell to do anything and seemed to be matching cubes on pure luck. And then I figured it out. Well, so, the following is how to play this game. The manual is not clear enough, and the only walkthrough I found online is incredibly confusing. This is the simple way to play Q*Bert's Cubes with no problems.

1. Each level is arranged the same, that never changes. Enemy speed will change, the number of enemies will change, the types will change, and eventually you can even unlock blocks yourself at upper levels. Takes awhile to get that far, but it makes it more challenging.

2. The goal is to match blocks to the code block. This is the block all by itself in the upper left that you cannot jump on. I figured that out the first time I played it. All you have to do is match the blocks to this one. I myself don't use a particular strategy, I just match a bunch of blocks. Each time you start it will show you which rows you can match, but really you don't need to bother with that, just match a bunch at the bottom and you'll eventually pass to the next level. More points that way anyway, which is good because you get an extra life every 10,000. Stay on the bottom rows because enemies don't enter that way, they only exit.

3. Now, matching didn't make any sense to me at first, but it's really quite easy. Best way is to first match the FRONT of a block to the code block. Do this by jumping up or down on a block. You can also jump on a block, jump back to another, and then jump back again and it will rotate in the same direction. So long as you see the UPPER color and FRONT color changing, you're jumping in the right direction. Once you get the color, then work on the box from the OTHER direction, and the colors will eventually match. If you can't get the front, it's because the color is NOT part of the rotation yet. First, rotate from the side, when the color is on TOP of the box, THEN you rotate on the front to get it in place. That's it.

4. The enemies are thus. The jumping guys are annoying, but pay attention to them so you don't hit one. They can't rotate your blocks, but if you have the top color matching their color, they're going to fall off and die, so that's a bonus. Don't try to work that yourself, just let it happen if it does, it doesn't matter anyway. The mouse starts out as a purple ball. Avoid it. When it turns in the mouse, allow it to approach you. Right before it jumps on your block, jump off in any direction you want (but not off the screen obviously). This rotates the block, which causes the mouse to fall. The sunglasses dudes will ROTATE YOUR BLOCKS. Jump into them as soon as you see them, if you can, or just let them come down. They tend to come in waves, so I usually just let them come and get them on the way down. That's another reason to stay on the bottom mostly. The green balls can be captured, and the turtles as well (they slow everything down but you).

5. There are also bonus levels. Same thing as above except no enemies, and you don't jump. Just rotate the colors as before and you'll get more points for all the blocks you match. The game moves you automatically to each block.

So that's it, using these simple directions you'll be able to sit around and have a lot of fun with this game. It's very relaxing and enjoyable, especially at higher levels. Well, not relaxing, it's actually pretty tough then, but a hell of a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Edited by Stan

Q-Bert's Qubes is a great game! I love the "rotating block" effect.... a highly underrated game for sure.

Once you get a good strategy going, you can get huge scores. My personal best score to date is 1,274,000 I remember that I intentionally ended the game at that point as you can pretty much play forever once you have the hang of it.

• 2 weeks later...