IGNORED

Why not more love for Tapper?

kyle

Tapper is one of the best arcade ports on the 2600 period. It captures the action of the arcade game beautifully and the fact that they were able to squeeze in the bonus round screen is also amazing I think. They could have left that out and nobody who is familiar with the VCS would've blinked an eye.

I'm not sure, but I think I might have preferred to lose the bonus round, and keep the tips and dancing girls. It's nice to get a bit of a breather in the middle of a round, not just between rounds.

Tapper is one of the best arcade ports on the 2600 period. It captures the action of the arcade game beautifully and the fact that they were able to squeeze in the bonus round screen is also amazing I think. They could have left that out and nobody who is familiar with the VCS would've blinked an eye.

I'm not sure, but I think I might have preferred to lose the bonus round, and keep the tips and dancing girls. It's nice to get a bit of a breather in the middle of a round, not just between rounds.

It's hard to say. The C-64 cartridge version had both the bonus round and the tips/girls, but unfortunately they had to cut it from four bar screens down to two.

It's hard to say. The C-64 cartridge version had both the bonus round and the tips/girls, but unfortunately they had to cut it from four bar screens down to two.

Really? I played the heck out of the C-64 floppy version, and I'm sure it had at least four different bars (cowboys, jocks, punk rockers, aliens).

I haven't tried 2600 tapper.I do have the Colecovision version and it is a pretty damn good game.I'm curious as to how 2600 Tapper plays.Don't exactly know till you plug it in and try it.The 2600 version seems pretty hard to find, i've never seen one in the wild when i think of it.

Really? I played the heck out of the C-64 floppy version, and I'm sure it had at least four different bars (cowboys, jocks, punk rockers, aliens).

Yeah, the disk version had all four screens, but the cartridge version didn't. I was just pointing out how different compromises were made in that version.

Yep, I agree. This is an outstanding arcade port that never gets mentioned due to it's late release and relative obscurity. It's very fun. I am a big fan of Tapper, Up n' Down, and Spy Hunter. All of these games show what the old VCS could pull off with some talented coding. Great games. I think the late release Sega games fall into the same category as the late release Activision and Imagic games.

I mean, how often do you hear about H.E.R.O., Pressure Cooker, Moonsweeper, Subterranea and Cosmic Commuter? Almost never, and yet they are A-list games. Those of us player/collector types who have delved into the library love them to death, but they are unknown (generally) to the pubic at large.

Which is why this site is nice :)