IGNORED

2600 Missile Command

jd_1138

I've been playing a lot of MC on my 7800 in the last week. What a fun game. And I love the sound effects -- even on the 2600 which is fed out to my Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers (2.1 system). It actually sounds almost realistic, like if your city was getting bombed.

It's one of my favorites as well. Even if it wasn't, I'd still view it with fondness as it is one of the three games I got with my original 2600 back in 1981 (Combat, Laser Blast, and Missile Command).

A funny note is that it was my favorite arcade game at the time. I played it often at 7-11, but in those days I never paid any attention to the names of the games I played in the arcade. I recognized games I liked by visual matching, not titles. So, my mother was giving me the Atari 2600 version of my favorite arcade game and I didn't even recognize it. In fact, it was the last game of the three I opened and played upon hooking the 2600 up. Of course, that made it even more of a treat. :)

Nowadays, I like the 2600 version more than the arcade or any other port. I feel there's something "purer" about it.

• Like 1

I just noticed in my post I say "playing on my 7800" but then I say its sound is going from my Atari 2600 to the Cambridge Soundworks 2.1. I meant: 7800 to the to the TV and then to the Cambridge Soundworks 2.1. lol.

When you play 2600 games on the 7800. is the sound an accurate reproduction of the 2600 sound, or is it enhanced? We didn't have any MC's down at the local places where games were. We had an Yie Ar Kung Fu at our nearest video game source. We played the hell out of that.

Edited by gps_trekker