IGNORED

Opinion of Atari 5200

ATARI7800fan

No reason for a bunch of hate between the 5200 and CV camps. They were different but complementary systems for that era. If you love early 80's arcade games, then I suggest getting them both. There are excellent ports on both, and thought the controllers on 5200 have their quirks, it is still a must-own from that period.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the 5200 was Atari's zenith. love or hate the controllers they are the most advanced , and once you understand and get the hang of them , the 26/7800 digital sticks are a joke, at least to me. give me joypads !

there are some fantastic games specific to 5200 as well as the carry overs rehashed from 2600, there's a couple of lame ones for 5200 too.

just looking at the 5200 and its accessories ,it's clear that the most attention to detail and design was paid to this system. I remember when my younger brother brought his home in '83

[ 4 port *] we just sat and looked at it, gawking at the black and stainless looking panel, marveled at the controller storage cover,even the trakball was so much better than the 2600 version and the vcs adapter was a win-win !

Truly a Ferrari compared to the "dated" almost Edsel looking 2600 console.

plug it in , play , and really fully appreciate what Atari had sold you !!!

After doing a bit of reading it's clear the 5200 controllers can be re-built to fully function better than factory built ones, though I'll reserve judgment until after the parts arrive and surgery is completed :)

Hey, I love my 7800, but even with improved graphics, the games lack in so many ways, as i think Atari was not only in the midst of a real identity crisis getting away from what put them on the map [shooter games] thus shifting in desperation mode to compete with sega and other upstarts with games leaning toward mario bros themes [cool], but to me now, it seems the mindset was get it packaged and out the door. My only regret in purchasing a 7800 , was not holding out for a bundle pack equipped console. Neat idea as removing carts with one hand from the 7800 is no easy task. I bought a new boxed system so thats what was available.

I should add that the 7800 pro-stick fire buttons flat out suck. again, I prefer the joypads for certain games.

Having almost every 7800 game save for proto's and a few rarities, the only games i really play are impossible mission [bummer you cant finish it] Xevious which is addicting, and galaga though better graphics than its previous system namesakes, is still sort of a turd game by 1987-89 standards. I like midnight mutants as well, but that game ticks me off !!!

Buy a 5200. if you can swing it, buy a reconditioned one, if not a brand spanking NOS one. Most 52's that I have seen for sale are beat up, and though they may work, having minty clean stuff is half the fun .

I'm really not into buying stuff that little billy wiped his boogers and PBJ sa'mich on.

• Like 1

I believe that the 5200 was Atari's zenith. love or hate the controllers they are the most advanced , and once you understand and get the hang of them , the 26/7800 digital sticks are a joke, at least to me. give me joypads !

There are games that REQUIRE the analog joystick due to the way they were implemented on Atari 5200 but then there are many more that work fine with digital joystick substitute. All you have to do is check history of Atari 5200 HSC or play it to find which works better rather than rely on your belief. It wasn't Atari's Zenith either as they produced a 130XE afterwards w/digital joysticks. Then again, you are entitled to your belief.

There are games that REQUIRE the analog joystick due to the way they were implemented on Atari 5200 but then there are many more that work fine with digital joystick substitute. All you have to do is check history of Atari 5200 HSC or play it to find which works better rather than rely on your belief. It wasn't Atari's Zenith either as they produced a 130XE afterwards w/digital joysticks. Then again, you are entitled to your belief.

I did encounter an issue with actually being able to start the games with a busted controller. And I couldn't start them with a wico w/adapter... perhaps I missed something? That being said, when the controllers work, they are awesome! I love the feeling of total control, and the non-centering really allows you to feel connected with a game, kind of like driving a car that you really like.

Never played pac-man with one, so I don't know how that works, but I bet you could get used to it. After all, plenty of us started played pac-man either on a keyboard or on the d-pad.

I did encounter an issue with actually being able to start the games with a busted controller. And I couldn't start them with a wico w/adapter... perhaps I missed something? That being said, when the controllers work, they are awesome! I love the feeling of total control, and the non-centering really allows you to feel connected with a game, kind of like driving a car that you really like.

Never played pac-man with one, so I don't know how that works, but I bet you could get used to it. After all, plenty of us started played pac-man either on a keyboard or on the d-pad.

Well, the buttons do fail over time due to inferior design compared to Atari 2600 touchpad buttons but the analog stick doesn't seem to fail that often. If you want to use Wico joystick and don't have the Wico keypad, you can get the "Digital Joystick Adapter" which allows you to use the touchpad for start, pause, reset, etc. Search it on Ebay.

About control, trackballs and paddles work better than the analog joysticks for Super Breakout, Centipede, Missile Command, and some others although Pole Position works well with the Wico. Then again, these don't have support for digital joysticks like they do on A8. I haven't found any use for the non-centering A5200 stock controller.

there are some fantastic games specific to 5200 as well as the carry overs rehashed from 2600, there's a couple of lame ones for 5200 too.

just looking at the 5200 and its accessories ,it's clear that the most attention to detail and design was paid to this system. I remember when my younger brother brought his home in '83

[ 4 port *] we just sat and looked at it, gawking at the black and stainless looking panel, marveled at the controller storage cover,even the trakball was so much better than the 2600 version and the vcs adapter was a win-win !

Truly a Ferrari compared to the "dated" almost Edsel looking 2600 console.

plug it in , play , and really fully appreciate what Atari had sold you !!!

Great post. This is very much the same way I felt about the 5200 when it was launched. Difference was my family never purchased one. We had a friend who had one and I was very envious. We used to go to his house to play all the time. Problem was he lived with it and wanted to go play outside. I just wanted to play his Atari 5200! :)

Enjoy and let us know how you make out rebuilding your controllers.

Well, the buttons do fail over time due to inferior design compared to Atari 2600 touchpad buttons but the analog stick doesn't seem to fail that often. If you want to use Wico joystick and don't have the Wico keypad, you can get the "Digital Joystick Adapter" which allows you to use the touchpad for start, pause, reset, etc. Search it on Ebay.

About control, trackballs and paddles work better than the analog joysticks for Super Breakout, Centipede, Missile Command, and some others although Pole Position works well with the Wico. Then again, these don't have support for digital joysticks like they do on A8. I haven't found any use for the non-centering A5200 stock controller.

Here's the link: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206478352521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320647835252&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It also allows you to use a paddle with your Atari 5200 so it's two in one.

It's actually 3 in one but the 3rd part requires a PC w/parallel port.

Yes, the controllers do stink. They are awful.

But the 5200 itself is a good system, and I do like it better than the 7800, though not as much as the CV.

Here's some reasons why it's good:

Berzerk: It TALKS, and it is the best home version around. I recently scored 24,150!

Qix: Ah, the early 1980s...the store across from the high school. There it was, a weird but wonderful game. This is a dead-on version, and even better with its difficulty levels.

Defender: Another winner, and a superb, colorful version.

Blueprint: This version relies too much on luck, but the odd charm of the arcade sleeper is still here.

Robotron: 2084: Yes, it's not as smooth as the 7800 version, and lacks the color green, but the sound is much better, as are the explosions. It's a fine version itself. AND- it lets you fire while standing still with one joystick.

Ms. Pac-Man: Why the maze colors between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are not more distinct, I don't know, but it easily holds up to the 7800 version.

Pac-Man: Single-colored ghosts, and not as good as the CV versions, but it has the arcade magic.

Super Breakout: They must have been really stupid, using this as the pack-in, but beyond that, it's a fantastic version of the 1970s classic(s). If you have a paddle controller- and they are easy to build or adapt- you have the arcade version.

Baseball: It talks, and is as good as many others in later years.

Star Raiders: Primitive graphics, true- but the best action and animation for years. A classic that's stood the test of time.

Pengo: Another dead-on conversion. Penguins! Bees! Ice Cubes!

Space Dungeon: Strange, little-known arcade game gets new life with this great version.

Super Pac-Man: Why didn't Atari forget the 7800 for a while and go with this? Oh- because they were idiots.

Centipede: Better than the 7800 version. If you have the trac-ball, you have the arcade version.

Homebrews: check them out.

Edited by CV Gus

I have a 5200 mostly for completeness. I'd rather play the same games on my 800 XL. Well, except for Adventure II. And Kangaroo. And Missile Command with a super-awesome trak-ball. (Oh, and Centipede.) So, there are a few reasons I like the 5200.

The 7800 on the other hand is awesome. Can't go wrong with a console that has a built-in 2600 plus dozens of it's own games (not to mention the new stuff we get on the 7800, homebrews/hacks and stuff.) :love:

Colecovision is boring compared to the 5200. CV has nice graphics, and there are a few really great games for it but most CV games are CRAP.

The controller is hard to play with for a long time. I hate it. Plus with out an extension cable for the controller you might as well hug the system while you play the crap games. :)

In all seriousness, the CV and the 5200 both have good things about them and I like having both. I prefer the 5200 and I see it as the better system.

For the CV the atarimax sd cart is a must because some of the "better" games for the system are hard to get. Like galaxian or the pac-man proto....

The CV has nice graphics, but the 5200 (with some exception) has GREAT graphics. I definitely wouldn't say most CV games are crap. Sure if you're counting the rarer games, but the commons are some great games. Yes, many of the popular games are 2nd rate knock off games (Ladybug, Mouse Trap, Carnival, Gorf, Slither, etcetcetc...) but they're still fun. If I had to pick one I would go with the 5200 without so much as a blink. It's just a more fun system, and the controllers are much easier on the hands. Fortunately though I don't have to pick, I have both. Really if you want the arcade feel that was the best available you should have both.

My Grandpa brought an Edsel to our house in the 80s and it had these buttons in the middle of the steering wheel. It reminded me of Speed Racer (not the crap movie).

If you had or desired a 5200 back in the 80s then I say get one. If you think there is going to be fun stuff on the 7800 XM then get that.

I dont know why anyone would play arcade port on an 80s console when you can just play the real thing with Mame. Or am I just spoiled? I have a laptop with HDMI and hook up to the HDTV and play anything.

Just my Tuppence.

Edited by Mot

My Grandpa brought an Edsel to our house in the 80’s and it had these buttons in the middle of the steering wheel. It reminded me of Speed Racer (not the crap movie).

If you had or desired a 5200 back in the 80’s then I say get one. If you think there is going to be fun stuff on the 7800 XM then get that.

I don’t know why anyone would play arcade port on an 80’s console when you can just play the real thing with Mame. Or am I just spoiled? I have a laptop with HDMI and hook up to the HDTV and play anything.

Just my Tuppence.

The reason is because it is expensive. All the 5200s on ebay are 100 or mmore. And there was a 5 dollar one but it is gone. So you can use the real thing but it costs too much to get or refurbish a working one. So sometimes emulation is just cheaper. Even the one I ordered off ebay has not arrived yet and it has been 10 days. Parcell post is kinda slow I guess so I'll wait a few more days. Even found an old thread here stating some said upto 1 month. So I guess it is slow. But if it doesn't arrive then a waste it was and the likely hood of finding another good shape one for reasonable is unlikely. Plus cuz it is so old people always list as vintage and charge an arm and a leg.

I don’t know why anyone would play arcade port on an 80’s console when you can just play the real thing with Mame. Or am I just spoiled? I have a laptop with HDMI and hook up to the HDTV and play anything.

It depends on what you want. If you want the arcade experience, then yes, MAME is the way to go. But the home versions of the games often were more playable. Control issues arise with some games in MAME as well (spinners and so on), whereas that's not a problem with a console. And most of the home games had difficulty levels. As I get older, I appreciate that more. :D

Disagree.

I strongly disgree with that too. It's not so bad. As has already been stated 4674 times, just get the Best Gold controllers, or some other quality rebuilt solution, and you should be fine for a very long time. The issues with the original stock 5200 controllers are very real, but updated and repaired, they're barely issues at all (the only significant thing left at that point being matters of personal preference). But, of course, this is going to be a subject of ongoing conversation here for the next 36 years, repeatedly, no doubt. I swear, sometimes it seems like it's just the "cool" (cool/nerdy?) thing to do to pick on the 5200's controllers incessantly.

• Like 1

how does the 5200 trackball stack up to the 2600 trackball? like the original poster, I'm thinking about picking up a 5200 (again).

lately I have been playing a lot of missile command on the VCS joystick, and I am curious about trackball gaming!

Edited by toptenmaterial

It depends on what you want. If you want the arcade experience, then yes, MAME is the way to go. But the home versions of the games often were more playable. Control issues arise with some games in MAME as well (spinners and so on), whereas that's not a problem with a console. And most of the home games had difficulty levels. As I get older, I appreciate that more. :D

Well I think Mame has got the consoles beat there too because of the cheats. I swear I almost peed my pants when I saw the simulator thing in Tron and the recognizers replace the tanks. I got there with infinite lifes.

And yes some games had spinners and such but not that many.

But some games had changed enough to want to play them on the console, like space invaders on the 5200. It is worth playing on its own.