IGNORED

Any Londoners here?

I happen to go to London from time to time, but last time, to my disappointment, CEX in Notting Hill was gone :-(

Are there any shops dealing with retro stuff still? Been to Camden, Game Station, but they also dropped a lot of the older stuff. Now I had to know what I wanted, could not browse anymore :-(

Looking bad for retro gaming ... If anyone know of places, please let me know where, address and area. Thanks and take Atarian care

I happen to go to London from time to time, but last time, to my disappointment, CEX in Notting Hill was gone :-(

Are there any shops dealing with retro stuff still? Been to Camden, Game Station, but they also dropped a lot of the older stuff. Now I had to know what I wanted, could not browse anymore :-(

Looking bad for retro gaming ... If anyone know of places, please let me know where, address and area. Thanks and take Atarian care

Me and 3 others....Svenski, Mclaneinc and Oky2000

There is someone from London in the Jaguar section (can't remember their nick/handle though)

It's not CEX (they've never been in notting hill) you're thinking of notting hill computer and games exchange, i only found that out recently, there is supposed to be a place in soho, so one of that companies employee's told me

CEX haven't dealt with Atari and non Japanese/Asian classic games systems/computers since about 2000 (the person that set up that department, in their original shop in whitfield street, left the company and set up his own retro shop in shepherds bush, dunno if it's still there)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I remember being amazed the first time I saw the CEX on tottenham court road - but now it seems to just be a half-assed version of cashconverters.

Come to think of it I've seen more retro stuff I want in cash converters than CEX...

Funny this, I went into a CEX for the first time today and found it to be full of overpriced crap - you can buy new versions of 90% of the games they were selling off of Amazon. :D

Not been into central London for a long time, CEX was the only place there that was still open, Rathbone Place btw, Just about 5 mins away from Tottenham Court Road tube Station off Tottenham Oxford Street. If you walk up Oxford St on the right hand side wait till you see Oxford News and its the next road on the right about a 100yrds down on the left.

I seem to remember a shop in Edgeware or near that does retro stuff, they have a website as well so easy to see if there's what you want.

I'll dig it out later if I can..

Edited by Mclaneinc

just to remind you, CEX almost went under a little while back....they are not totally brilliant, but they aint that bad (for PC hardware that is)

I will give you the fact that their prices are a little on the high side, what you must remember though, they have little or no competition, if they had serious competition they'd reduce their prices (remembering that amazon only exist online, you can't just go into a physical amazon shop and pick sommat up)

And to think they wanted me to run their Hounslow branch...

Bunch of bloody losers they were, told their recruiting guy after he messed me about the only job I would want there is HIS one.

Thats a bit of a trek for you aint it, from northwest of town....unless you like standing in that sardine tin called the tube

Bunch of bloody losers they were, told their recruiting guy after he messed me about the only job I would want there is HIS one.

Thats a bit of a trek for you aint it, from northwest of town....unless you like standing in that sardine tin called the tube

At the time it was dead simple for me to get to Hounslow as I lived in Chiswick so I could take a single bus or the tube and be there in 20mins if that.

These days thanks to a few quite painful illnesses I cannot either do the travel or the work. To give you a clue, if I spend more than 10 mins playing a game my neck is so painful even with the painkillers I'm in total agony.

I live just north of London in Hatfield but can't say I have been to London in years now. There is a CEX in St. Albans which is the nearest city to me, trains run direct from St. Pancreas International and only take 20 minutes, and I pop in there now and again. Last time I was there I picked a stack of Megadrive games for just £2 each. They also had a bunch of N64, Gamecube and SNES games and I think some Gameboy stuff too. They also had a few consoles too, I remember seeing an original Xbox, N64 and a couple of Megadrives. Staff in there are brilliant they have even offered to hold stuff for me and give me a call to see if I want it.

At the time it was dead simple for me to get to Hounslow as I lived in Chiswick so I could take a single bus or the tube and be there in 20mins if that.

These days thanks to a few quite painful illnesses I cannot either do the travel or the work. To give you a clue, if I spend more than 10 mins playing a game my neck is so painful even with the painkillers I'm in total agony.

Ah, now i see why you said you worked in hammersmith once (mapplins) just down the road from chiswick

Okay, I just thought it was CEX, since the door said Computer Exchange. I bought lots of 2600, Sega CD games there and cheap GC, DC games. Any address in Soho to go to?

So there's only 3 Atarians in London too ... I think I am the only Norwegian :-/

Thanks and take Atarian care

Me and 3 others....Svenski, Mclaneinc and Oky2000

There is someone from London in the Jaguar section (can't remember their nick/handle though)

It's not CEX (they've never been in notting hill) you're thinking of notting hill computer and games exchange, i only found that out recently, there is supposed to be a place in soho, so one of that companies employee's told me

CEX haven't dealt with Atari and non Japanese/Asian classic games systems/computers since about 2000 (the person that set up that department, in their original shop in whitfield street, left the company and set up his own retro shop in shepherds bush, dunno if it's still there)

There is a CEX in St. Albans which is the nearest city to me, trains run direct from St. Pancreas International and only take 20 minutes, and I pop in there now and again. Last time I was there I picked a stack of Megadrive games for just £2 each. They also had a bunch of N64, Gamecube and SNES games and I think some Gameboy stuff too. They also had a few consoles too, I remember seeing an original Xbox, N64 and a couple of Megadrives. Staff in there are brilliant they have even offered to hold stuff for me and give me a call to see if I want it.

A decent CEX you say? Nice - I'm in Watford, but work just up in Kings Langley so it's not a massive trek to drop by there sometime to have a look.

Fancy a nice day out beside the seaside?

There is a shop called 'Snoopers Paradise' in the north lanes in Brighton. This usually has an array of retro gear. I don't mind popping in there and reporting on what can be lurking. Last time I did see some sort of Atari incarnation.

Throughout the years I have seen N64, PSX Megadrive, 2600, SNES, NES, Colecovision, Intellvision etc there. They usually come bundled with games.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/134571-Snoopers-Paradise-Brighton

There's a lots of other stuff there too such as old phones, retro action figures and second hand clothes.

Cheers

Aaron

Fancy a nice day out beside the seaside?

There is a shop called 'Snoopers Paradise' in the north lanes in Brighton. This usually has an array of retro gear. I don't mind popping in there and reporting on what can be lurking. Last time I did see some sort of Atari incarnation.

Throughout the years I have seen N64, PSX Megadrive, 2600, SNES, NES, Colecovision, Intellvision etc there. They usually come bundled with games.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/134571-Snoopers-Paradise-Brighton

There's a lots of other stuff there too such as old phones, retro action figures and second hand clothes.

Cheers

Aaron

Was that the shop in east street previously called gamer (or is it still there), i used to go to gamer fairly regularly in the early 90's (they used to do some A8 gear)

Was that the shop in east street previously called gamer (or is it still there), i used to go to gamer fairly regularly in the early 90's (they used to do some A8 gear)

Yes, Gamer. I used to shop there as a young teenager. Fondly refered to as Lamer among my friends. I part exchanged my old Amiga 500 for a 1200 with them (Happy days.)

I Remember them showing off the 'new' ST machine there and I thought it was amazing considering I had a Amstrad CPC at the time.

Gamer now is a Newsagents I'm afraid.

Aaron