IGNORED

HSC8 Round 1: Ms. Pac-Man

I'm making some progress in the programming here. I created some more space. I'll take a look at the attract 'bug' and the start with fire thing.

I made that last thing already, but it also worked during play, and that is NOT what you want... pressing fire by accident, and then the game starts over.

So... I'll look at that soon.

Now it is time to sleep

bye!

Marius

I should have gone to sleep but waiting for youtube to upload a small Gwobby Video :x it's 2:13am now.. wow 600K is really big (well we atarians' know it is)! I think you (and atariksi) can play this version of Ms.P with the added risk of pressing fire when you are under pressure ;)

Today I created the fire = start.

It works from title screen AND from game over screen (different routines sigh)

And fire is disabled during gameplay.

Now I have to work on the soundissue ( i really want to stop sound during pause)

AND that attract thing. Still happens indeed.

bye for now, have to go to work.

Marius

Ok everybody who wants that:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175596-ms-pacman-fixed/

Here you find a (final I hope) version of:

Ms. Pacman.

SPACE = Pause (and with no sound hehe)

Fire = Start (only joystick port 1 firebutton!)

Red Cherry (thanks to Kr0tki)

This is same version as ROM file. So you can safely exchange this one with your ROM version.

Have fun with it.

Please do NOT request for more features now :D ... I also want to compete with you Ms Pacman players in stead of coding all day.

Greetz

M.

Ok everybody who wants that:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175596-ms-pacman-fixed/

Here you find a (final I hope) version of:

Ms. Pacman.

SPACE = Pause (and with no sound hehe)

Fire = Start (only joystick port 1 firebutton!)

Red Cherry (thanks to Kr0tki)

This is same version as ROM file. So you can safely exchange this one with your ROM version.

Have fun with it.

Please do NOT request for more features now :D ... I also want to compete with you Ms Pacman players in stead of coding all day.

Greetz

M.

I tried your XEX file and there's some bug where the pause unpauses after about 2 second delay. It happens sometimes so it throws off timing.

I'm making some progress in the programming here. I created some more space. I'll take a look at the attract 'bug' and the start with fire thing.

I made that last thing already, but it also worked during play, and that is NOT what you want... pressing fire by accident, and then the game starts over.

So... I'll look at that soon.

Now it is time to sleep

bye!

Marius

I should have gone to sleep but waiting for youtube to upload a small Gwobby Video :x it's 2:13am now.. wow 600K is really big (well we atarians' know it is)! I think you (and atariksi) can play this version of Ms.P with the added risk of pressing fire when you are under pressure ;)

I guess you meant 60K not 600K.

Here's my latest score (still using cartridge):

post-12094-129529399669_thumb.jpg

I tried your XEX file and there's some bug where the pause unpauses after about 2 second delay. It happens sometimes so it throws off timing.

It is not really a bug... it is probably caused by the fact that I 'broke' the original code on a critical point (it was the only point to break, unless I had to rewrite a rather big part of it). When you press spacebar just during a short time, it works in all cases. The problem is that it sometimes takes a sec before the pause starts. When you press longer or twice, it might go wrong.

I'm thinking of a fix for this, and I think I have a fix for it.

Thanks for feedback!

Marius

It is not really a bug... it is probably caused by the fact that I 'broke' the original code on a critical point (it was the only point to break, unless I had to rewrite a rather big part of it). When you press spacebar just during a short time, it works in all cases. The problem is that it sometimes takes a sec before the pause starts. When you press longer or twice, it might go wrong.

I'm thinking of a fix for this, and I think I have a fix for it.

Thanks for feedback!

Marius

In the cartridge, it takes about a second to unpause for the monsters but in your version it takes about 2 seconds for the Ms. pac-man to unpause which doesn't occur in the cartridge. At least I haven't noticed it in cartridge version ever.

In the cartridge, it takes about a second to unpause for the monsters but in your version it takes about 2 seconds for the Ms. pac-man to unpause which doesn't occur in the cartridge. At least I haven't noticed it in cartridge version ever.

The reason for this is that the file version lacks the pause routine. Since I do not know how to disassemble the file, and it has to fit in 8KB (two blocks of 16K) I had to ADD extra code in not-used space. So I had to break the file-version-routines on a critical point, and move certain code lines from that point to a new routine.

There is some lag... which occurs on reading out the keyboard. When I used console keys for pause this LAG wasn't there.

Now I'm trying to find a better place to break, OR a way to improve my code.

I can't make a promise here :D

Are you sure btw. you used the version from the Ms. Pacman Fixed thread on the 8bit-forum?

I'm testing that one very firm now, and I really do not get the problem you described.

I found out another cool behavior. When you HOLD space the game runs very slowly haha.

Are you sure btw. you used the version from the Ms. Pacman Fixed thread on the 8bit-forum?

I'm testing that one very firm now, and I really do not get the problem you described.

I found out another cool behavior. When you HOLD space the game runs very slowly haha.

I spotted that too - sort of slow mo mode no cheating folks :D

I managed 10,950 on screen 1 but died right near the end.

Atariksi I meant 600K for my video, I can only dream of 600K in this game :roll: [edit I can only dream of 60K :D ]

Ms.Pac-Man Table

1st atariksi 90,580 13pts *

2nd deteacher 66,410 11pts

3rd therealbountybob 52,510 10pts

4th a8isa1 46,060 9pts

5th divya16 45,550 8pts

6th zylon 22,220 7pts

7th bluecat 16,490 6pts

8th marius1976 14,340 5pts

9th travlar 2,460 4pts

* includes 1pt bonus for beating HSC record 74,900

Screen 1 Bonus - Highest Score in 1 Ms.P

1st atariksi 14,340 1pt

1st deteacher 14,340 1pt

1st marius1976 14,340 1pt

4th therealbountybob 10,950

5th bluecat 5,840

6th zylon 3,940

Nearly beat my score 51K but managed a bit better on screen one, had a couple of goes where I got all but 1 ghost: 12,740 This game is tough, can't dummy the ghosts and they close you down very quickly... a least they give you 5 lives (to squander) ;)

post-19705-129537567725_thumb.jpg

Nearly beat my score 51K but managed a bit better on screen one, had a couple of goes where I got all but 1 ghost: 12,740 This game is tough, can't dummy the ghosts and they close you down very quickly... a least they give you 5 lives (to squander) ;)

post-19705-129537567725_thumb.jpg

I also find that last monster hard to get. So 12,740.

post-16716-129537860665_thumb.jpg

I have really deep respect for the routines that control the ghosts.

The way they work together (especially the red and pink one (in pal)) is impressive.

Anyone ever noticed that when you 'eat' the Red one when you ate an energy Pill.... that he gets a lot more agressive. He is a lot faster after that.

Yes I definately love this game. Last night I reached 72640 points, but I had to quit... aargh that s*cked big time.

I hope to post some results soon!

Greetz

M.

It would be nice to keep high scores in the first post.

Welcome Philsan and AHA :thumbsup:

Last season I posted tables every few days (on different posts) with the scores so far - I was considering going back to having a single table in Post #1 - what do people think :?: The downside is maybe not knowing if it is updated :?:

Marius - yes I thought that red ghost was a bit evil and now it's official ;)

Ms.Pac-Man

1st atariksi 90,580 13pts*

2nd marius1976 72,640 11pts

3rd deteacher 66,410 10pts

4th therealbountybob 52,510 9pts

5th a8isa1 46,060 8pts

6th divya16 45,550 7pts

7th Official Ninja 43,760 6pts

8th Philsan 32,650 5pts

9th Goochman 28,260 4pts

10th zylon 22,220 3pts

11th bluecat 16,490 2pts

12th travlar 2,460 2pts

* includes 1pt bonus for beating HSC record 74,900

Screen 1 Bonus - Highest Score in 1 Ms.P

1st atariksi 14,340 1pt

1st deteacher 14,340 1pt

1st marius1976 14,340 1pt

4th therealbountybob 12,740

4th divya16 12,740

6th bluecat 5,840

7th zylon 3,940

p.s. Show your workings guys, even if the scores are low (sloopy ;) ) don't be shy!

Read and wheep...

I was surprised... after the animation #3 (With Junior) you get that last type maze. I knew that already... but... when you complete that maze a few times (I'd say 3 or 4 times) ... you get the maze BEFORE that animation #3 again (the pear and banana type maze, but still with the random fruits). I had not the idea that the game was increasing difficulty. Unfortunately I failed, but serious: I could have played on and on... since it appeared not to get any harder.

Read and wheep...

I was surprised... after the animation #3 (With Junior) you get that last type maze. I knew that already... but... when you complete that maze a few times (I'd say 3 or 4 times) ... you get the maze BEFORE that animation #3 again (the pear and banana type maze, but still with the random fruits). I had not the idea that the game was increasing difficulty. Unfortunately I failed, but serious: I could have played on and on... since it appeared not to get any harder.

It's 3 screens in act 2, 4 in act 3 and 4 in act 4 and then act 3 comes back. The controls on Ms. pac-man are inferior to Pac-man although game is harder. It has rounding off errors in turning and there's some "delay" bug that shows up once in a while where you can't turn immediately. The "delay" bug also shows up in pause as mentioned already. The file version also screws up the display list it seems as some garbage shows up after playing about an hour. Maybe the copy-protection isn't fully removed. If you play long enough, you can get used to delay effect on the controls, but I've been buy playing Dreadnaught factor recently. I can consistenly get 100K+ after an hour of playing.

post-12094-12954593208_thumb.jpg

post-12094-129545933065_thumb.jpg

post-12094-129545933957_thumb.jpg