IGNORED

Testing 320 mode with Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Ok then - Pokey version attached. :)

I plan on attempting to make this one 'Dual Mode' i.e. uses Pokey when XM is attached, but TIA when it's not. It also supports the HSC.

Right now, the TIA sound code is still there, I just have a flag telling which sound code to use. I plan on using the routine that GroovyBee wrote that detects the Pokey (of course in the $450 address instead of $4000).

Enjoy!

Bob

You spoil us. :)

Hmmmm, on Prosystem 1.3e, a second or two after I eat an energizer, the screen locks up - the energizer sound continues on, though. I'm not a professional user, though, so bug dissection is not a specialty. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

Hey:

Thanks guys ...

There actually is an issue on the real thing. I have the Pokey Detection working correctly (thanks Groovy Bee!) but when the Pokey is used, there is one of the lower zones that sporadically gets corrupt. It's *very* hard to reproduce, so I am having a hard time figuring it out. It's only one zone, and it *seems* to be only the character mode that gets affected.

:(

Bob

EDIT - Mods, can I have the ability to change the thread title to something more descriptive? Thank you

Edited by PacManPlus

Hey:

Thanks guys ...

There actually is an issue on the real thing. I have the Pokey Detection working correctly (thanks Groovy Bee!) but when the Pokey is used, there is one of the lower zones that sporadically gets corrupt. It's *very* hard to reproduce, so I am having a hard time figuring it out. It's only one zone, and it *seems* to be only the character mode that gets affected.

:(

Bob

EDIT - Mods, can I have the ability to change the thread title to something more descriptive? Thank you

Bob, I used a few dli's to alter the volume for some of the effects. Could it be related to that? PM me if you want to discuss.

Perry

Edited by tep392

You should be able to now.

Also, I want a cart whenever you get around to making them.

Mitch

Wow - I forgot that you were a mod - sorry Mitch, if I had known it was you I wouldn't have addressed the request to 'mods'. :dunce: I will reserve a cart for you. :)

Thanks for the offer, Perry. It ends up that the DL itself is getting overwritten (looking at the pokey code, I changed everywhere it looked like it should have been - but it still happened - not 100% sure it's that). I ended up with a 'band-aid' for this one, being I couldn't figure it out. I moved that DL to another place in memory and it seems to work fine now.

From what I could test, it works fine in MESS, ProSystem, and the real thing. Let me know if anyone finds any issues.

I have the Pokey checking for address $4000 just to test with (so it will work in the CCII). Once we are sure it's ok, I will change it to the $450 for the XM before making carts.

So it will work stand-alone (TIA Sounds) or with the XM (Pokey Sound)

Bob

It's not a bug, it's a feature :)

Put me down for a copy. Also, for some reason the 320P version crashes both ProSystem and MESS. MESS just gives an "unspecified error", while ProSystem just crashes.

Hmmm... the PAL version crashes for me too. But I just checked and it creates a valid binary. Can anyone in PAL land check to make sure it runs on the real thing?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't have any way to test this besides the cart. I do like the way that the Jr Pac Man is at a higher speed. Is there a way to play at fast speed or normal speed. Some way to be able to select this before the game starts. Just a suggestion. I also would like a cart of this too! Please add me to the cart list. Thanks for making all the great games you do for the 7800!

Here's some raw pcm sounds that I converted from "Pac PC2" dos game... I wanted to convert them to wav but I have to do another time; I used "CoolEdit 96" to convert them. I downloaded the game from JROK's Homepage. I've used the sounds in some music I made a while back... The sample rate 16000 8bit mono; I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekTXz8lVfVA&feature=channel_video_title

Pac Man.zip

Edited by philipj

Ok here are the Windows PCM conversion of the Pac PC sound effects... The sample rate and everything previously mentioned are all the same.

I was thinking, some of the music for PacMan might can be redone using TIA native sounds. Donkey Kong for the 7800 was a good example of using TIA native sounds.

MS Waves.zip

Edited by philipj

Hi:

I had put in the Pokey detection code in the ROM for this version, but neither of the emulators contain the same values as the real thing after a Pokey Reset (which is why it's not detected). It does work on a real 7800, however. Maybe I'll post a straight Pokey version here after I look at one more issue.

As far as it crashing, only the PAL version crashes for me (but it works on the real thing - thanks Walter!). I just tried it again to confirm. :( Let me find this other issue I'm having and we'll try again.

Thanks!

@phillipj: Nice work on the music! :)