IGNORED

RKGAMES' ColecoVision Side Trak

newcoleco

Awesome revision of the music Dan! If you want to send over the source i can add to the game! Take care,

Russ

If you use the music version that uses all the 4 sound channels, you'll hear a lot of cuts in the singing part each time you get a new passenger, but it's totally possible to use it for the game... depending on what you consider more adequate. I personnaly think that the 3 channels version should stay for the game, and maybe use the 4 channels version for something else like the title screen.

Yep, you're right Daniel, 3 channels is best, taking passenger will cut the song anyway

Russ, this's why Daniel made it like this at first, thinking you'll use the other channel for passengers SFX

Sounds good to me guys! Daniel knows his Colecovision music!! Wow... I don't think I was ever going to see this game on a Colecovision! Spectar was another one that was done, thankfully! That little game catalog left a lot of games in the Colecovision void... thankfully Russ is pulling Side Trak from the vapourware status and getting closer and closer each day!!

Thanks again Russ!

Awesome revision of the music Dan! If you want to send over the source i can add to the game! Take care,

Russ

If you use the music version that uses all the 4 sound channels, you'll hear a lot of cuts in the singing part each time you get a new passenger, but it's totally possible to use it for the game... depending on what you consider more adequate. I personnaly think that the 3 channels version should stay for the game, and maybe use the 4 channels version for something else like the title screen.

Yep, you're right Daniel, 3 channels is best, taking passenger will cut the song anyway

Russ, this's why Daniel made it like this at first, thinking you'll use the other channel for passengers SFX

Thanks Dan! I'll use the full version for the title screen! send over the source when you get a chance :) I could also use a explosion sfx if at all possible for the crash. Other then that, i think music and sfx are nearly all done?!

Russ

Thanks Dan! I'll use the full version for the title screen! send over the source when you get a chance :) I could also use a explosion sfx if at all possible for the crash. Other then that, i think music and sfx are nearly all done?!

Russ

I'm working on the sound/music to be played for the "CRASH" part. After that, I will send you the source code you need like I've already did. Just need time for that.

I don't know if you still have ROM space left, if there is enough I may propose something cool to add in the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxd_NabUIuo

Here is my weekly youTube update on Side Trak! I got much more of the track switching logic written, looks really cool when you watch it play now! Got lots more to do, but enjoy for now!

Russ

Looks great! When you spoke of how difficult the game feels now that it is more playable it had me thinking that you might consider slowing down the enemy train for one of the difficulty levels. Of course, you probably thought of that already. But the game looks fantastic!

Here is my weekly youTube update on Side Trak! I got much more of the track switching logic written, looks really cool when you watch it play now! Got lots more to do, but enjoy for now!

Russ

Looks great! When you spoke of how difficult the game feels now that it is more playable it had me thinking that you might consider slowing down the enemy train for one of the difficulty levels. Of course, you probably thought of that already. But the game looks fantastic!

I totally agree! i'm planning on making the enemy train slower for easier levels and increasing the speed slowely on later levels. it's funny cause i didnt even add any chase logic to the enemy, it does a great job of finding you already and making the game hard! funny how i guess i dont need to code for that now.

Russ

Russ

Wow Russ! - cool!

Have wanted to play this game since 83/84!

Please continue this.

Thanks

Jeff

Here is this weeks Update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_idmrjwL80

For this weeks update i show off the new AV Modded Coleco Vision and more some game improvements such as the Stage cleared screen and also 3 player trains on screen at the same time. PLEASE NOTE: the player will only start each level with 1 train and gain a extra train car on each pass of the start point, i forced the game to 3 cars for testing only! just wanted to mention that before i got lots of emails. Thanks again for the support of this game! we are very close to enjoying Side Trak on the coleco finally!

• Like 2

Hmmm... So you're planning to use sprites for the wagons attached to the player's train? Looks like you'll have to implement a good sprite flicker system, especially if you put a shadow on each wagon sprite... ;)

I think i painted myself into a corner with the shadows, but i have an idea on how to implement and minimize flicker. I'll have to ask NewColeco if he is aware of any priority the coleco gives to sprite numbers? i thought i read somewhere that sprites 1-4 get top priority and will not flicker???

Edited by RKGames

I think i painted myself into a corner with the shadows, but i have an idea on how to implement and minimize flicker. I'll have to ask NewColeco if he is aware of any priority the coleco gives to sprite numbers? i thought i read somewhere that sprites 1-4 get top priority and will not flicker???

Something like that. On any given TV scanline, the first four sprites in the sprite attribute table that appear on that scanline always get priority. At least I think that's how it works, I'm sure others can confirm it.

As for the shadows, how about just putting a shadow on the lead wagon and not on the trailing wagons? The wagons are big enough that I think it should work out okay...

Something like that. On any given TV scanline, the first four sprites in the sprite attribute table that appear on that scanline always get priority. At least I think that's how it works, I'm sure others can confirm it.

As for the shadows, how about just putting a shadow on the lead wagon and not on the trailing wagons? The wagons are big enough that I think it should work out okay...

I'll try that out! I was considering flickering the shadows under all the player trains but i'll see how it looks with just the 1 main train with a shadow. i turned off shadows temporarily for today and you can see how the game really needs them from the video i posted today. i left the enemy train as chars so that wont cause any flicker which is good!

I'll try that out! I was considering flickering the shadows under all the player trains but i'll see how it looks with just the 1 main train with a shadow. i turned off shadows temporarily for today and you can see how the game really needs them from the video i posted today. i left the enemy train as chars so that wont cause any flicker which is good!

Yeah, that should help display-wise, but I figure it must complicate screen updates for you, as you have to restore pieces of tracks correctly after the enemy train has passed over them.

Anyhow, if you want to implement a simple flickering system, here's my suggestion: Put a shadow on the leading wagon only, and always put the leading wagon and its shadow as the first two sprites in the sprite attribute table. That will give the leading wagon priority anywhere on the screen. For the rest, you just need to cycle through the trailing wagons, displaying two of them at a time on each screen refresh cycle. That way, you can probably have up to six wagons (perhaps more) with acceptable flicker.

You could tweak the flicker management to do the flickering only when wagons are horizontally lined up (there's no need to "flicker-cycle" through them when they're moving vertically) but that's already perhaps more complicated than needed. That's the thing with flicker management, you can't be sure how it's going to look until you actually implement it. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

Does anyone have any idea who might have been in charge of game dev at coleco? It would be fun to see the reaction of the person who originally conceptualized having this game in the Coleco arsenal.

Great work, RK! Great, I say!

Now that would be awesome to hear from the person(s) with the task of creating the original coleco version and hearing why the game never came out! All the Track Switching logic has really gotten more complex then i imagined, but it's done and working great at this point! it would be interesting to hear if that was the cause for the game not being released? i really considered giving up a few times, but the goal of someday owning the game on cart kept me going :)

Russ

Does anyone have any idea who might have been in charge of game dev at coleco? It would be fun to see the reaction of the person who originally conceptualized having this game in the Coleco arsenal.

Great work, RK! Great, I say!

Eric Bromley was the leading force behind the ColecoVision finally being manufactured by Coleco. He also played a large role in the line-up of arcade games that Coleco acquired the rights to make on videogame systems... and was the Coleco employee who flew to Japan to acquire the rights to Donkey Kong.

There is a GREAT article, where he is interviewed extensively as well as further info on the ColecoVision and some Homebrew Scene items, in RetroGamer Issue #73 and I would recommend picking up the backissue.