IGNORED

RKGAMES' ColecoVision Side Trak

newcoleco

I think the only thing that could top this would be a Mr. Turtle release. I always remember thinking about what the game would be like.

And what do you think it would be like? Details! We want details! :)

Okay, I want details... :ponder: ;)

I agree, details would be good. I actually found myself thinking a lot about this game and trying to figure out what would it play like based on the screen shot in the catalog.

I think the only thing that could top this would be a Mr. Turtle release. I always remember thinking about what the game would be like.

Thanks for the support!!!!!! really means a lot to me and keeps me moving on finishing the game! Still fixing some issues but we are getting there.

Russ

And what do you think it would be like? Details! We want details! :)

Okay, I want details... :ponder: ;)

I agree, details would be good. I actually found myself thinking a lot about this game and trying to figure out what would it play like based on the screen shot in the catalog.

I'd say Coleco probably had humble goals for Mr Turtle. If it had been actually released, it would probably have been a simple platformer similar to Smurfs Rescue in Gargamel's Castle, perhaps with educational overtones to cater to young children.

Now I can only speak for myself, but if it was up to me, I would make a far more ambitious Mr Turtle game. Simply put, I would make it a Metroid clone, with Mr Turtle exploring an expansive world and gaining new abilities along the way, abilities that let him access previously inaccessible areas. Add bosses and items to carry, and you have the recipee for a great game, which would benefit from a bankswitched cartridge (64K, or perhaps even 128K).

Just my two cents on the subject. :)

If you look carefully the only screenshot we got about Mr.Turtle, it's clear that the objective is to collect the letters to make the word PEARL. And because Mr.Turtle products are oriented for little kids (remember the little pool and another Mr.Turtle product I've forgot to mention), the gameplay should easy, not dangerous or arcade like. So it was mostly supposed to be a videogame for kids, with an educational goal in mind... but if we decide to make this CV game, we can make it the way we want.

Edited by newcoleco

Hey everyone, just wanted to say i'm still doing bug fixes on side Trak. I hope to post a new video in the coming days!

I just got my 3DS today and holy smokes do i have a bad headache right now. I cant believe how bad the strain is on my eyes, it feels like i had my eyes crossed for 5 minutes! Best of all i played for about 10 minutes total. I'll try it again in a few more days to see if the symptoms come back. If i get the same problems it's going back to the store. wow i cant believe i'm in that small group of people who cant play the system, that stinks!

On the bright side, playing 3DS wont distract me from completing side trak!

Take care,

Russ

Hey everyone, just wanted to say i'm still doing bug fixes on side Trak. I hope to post a new video in the coming days!

I just got my 3DS today and holy smokes do i have a bad headache right now. I cant believe how bad the strain is on my eyes, it feels like i had my eyes crossed for 5 minutes! Best of all i played for about 10 minutes total. I'll try it again in a few more days to see if the symptoms come back. If i get the same problems it's going back to the store. wow i cant believe i'm in that small group of people who cant play the system, that stinks!

Take care,

Russ

Might just need glasses, or a new prescription if you already have them.

Take care,

Russ

Might just need glasses, or a new prescription if you already have them.

Not sure, i just got these glasses a few months ago and they are the best pair I've ever had for clarity of vision, i finally got the right prescription! i played for a few minutes with them on and off. i wonder if they will find out that people with certain prescription types are more prone to having 3ds strain? did you get a system?

Take care,

Russ

On the flipside, you can turn off the 3D effects. Opps, now you'll be more distracted to the 3DS. The game itself should be the reason to own a system. I'm holding off purchasing one right now.

I do have a virtual boy and I just ignore the headaches if it does appear or take 20 minutes breaks. It's the only system that has US version of Panic Bomber. This is another reason why I'm holding off on the 3DS. Plus, I have a tons of games to complete is another reason.

I'm very excited for Sidetrak! I never played it before and it seems like a cool game to play.

Take care,

Russ

On the flipside, you can turn off the 3D effects. Opps, now you'll be more distracted to the 3DS. The game itself should be the reason to own a system. I'm holding off purchasing one right now.

I do have a virtual boy and I just ignore the headaches if it does appear or take 20 minutes breaks. It's the only system that has US version of Panic Bomber. This is another reason why I'm holding off on the 3DS. Plus, I have a tons of games to complete is another reason.

I'm very excited for Sidetrak! I never played it before and it seems like a cool game to play.

Cool, i still have my 2 virtual boy systems (never had a problem with eye strain on them) and still have a Japanese copy of Panic bomber! nice game! I'm really hoping i was just feeling kinda off today because i really want to enjoy using the 3ds. it's nice that Nintendo put the 3d/2d switch on the unit but playing 3ds games in 2d would be like drinking non-alcoholic beer, kinda pointless. but i admit if i have to play Kid Icarus in June in 2d only i guess it's better than nothing.

I will say the AR Cards are truly amazing stuff, to see monsters coming out of your kitchen table is neat. and the system maps the 3d environment beautifully in real time as you walk about the table to see the scene at different angles. it really is something to see! I dont understand why there is so little excitement on the possibilities of the AR Cards?

Didn't mean to get Side Traked (bad joke). again thanks for the encouragement everyone of the side trak conversion! I'm really hoping to finish tracking down the last of the bugs in the next week or two. (they are some annoying, somewhat hard to reproduce errors that are taking some serious debugging to catch.) It's funny cause i didnt have this much difficulty tracking bugs down bugs on my iphone games. I do admit it's a fun process, but the down side is, it's delaying the release for everyone to enjoy.

Take care,

Russ

Not that this is news, but i was able to enjoy another 30 minutes of 3DS Ridge racer tonight with no issues as i experienced and wrote about earlier today. sadly i think i'm already board of the game so i'm done with 3DS for a little while (at least till June when Kid Icarus comes out). Back onto Side Trak dev! Just wanted to give an update in case it was slowing down any ones decision to get a 3DS!

I got a BIG BIG question for the group here. I have not yet coded in the ability for a 2 player game. I'm assuming that would be a big must have right? let me know if 2 player game mode matters, Not Co-OP, just the usual (after player 1 dies, player 2 starts their round till they die then back to player 1 and so on.)

Take care,

Russ

2 Players game is a must :)

BTW: Is the 3DS is that good? .... since DS/Wii and maybe even the Cube, I think Nintendo is now just releasing poor games, I mean the NES/SNES era had so much great games!

Sounds good, 2 player mode it is!

The 3DS is ok, i guess i'm over the initial OMG moment when you 1st see the 3D effects. not sure if it's worth $250 though. should be $150 i think. especially seeing some site totaled the inside to cost $101 to produce. I too miss the magic of the NES/SNES era of games, which is why i am hoping Kid Icarus will be a great game for the 3DS. for anyone looking for a great blast from the past with lots of NES era cool stuff that perhaps you missed, check out Metroid Final Mission of the GBA! at first it's just a remake of 8bit metroid, but wow that game has some amazing new twists, bosses and power ups!

I just finished adding in Dan's (New Coleco's) updated music and crash sound effect! they explosion really fits the game and adds alot! great job Dan!!!!!! The music is of course great as well!

Didn't mean to get Side Traked (bad joke). again thanks for the encouragement everyone of the side trak conversion! I'm really hoping to finish tracking down the last of the bugs in the next week or two. (they are some annoying, somewhat hard to reproduce errors that are taking some serious debugging to catch.) It's funny cause i didnt have this much difficulty tracking bugs down bugs on my iphone games. I do admit it's a fun process, but the down side is, it's delaying the release for everyone to enjoy.

That last 10% of the work is always the worst! :D

And by the way, yes, please add a two-player option. :)

Not that this is news, but i was able to enjoy another 30 minutes of 3DS Ridge racer tonight with no issues as i experienced and wrote about earlier today. sadly i think i'm already board of the game so i'm done with 3DS for a little while (at least till June when Kid Icarus comes out). Back onto Side Trak dev! Just wanted to give an update in case it was slowing down any ones decision to get a 3DS!

I got a BIG BIG question for the group here. I have not yet coded in the ability for a 2 player game. I'm assuming that would be a big must have right? let me know if 2 player game mode matters, Not Co-OP, just the usual (after player 1 dies, player 2 starts their round till they die then back to player 1 and so on.)

Take care,

Russ

If it is not a Co-Op, in my opinion it is not really necessary. It add nothing to the game , imho.

But if an human could control the "enemy" train , it could be really fun! ;)

I don't know how much rom space is required is required to add a 2nd player option. If it comes at the price of losing the awesome sound effects and music, I say leave the music and forget 2nd player.

But if an human could control the "enemy" train , it could be really fun! ;)

Um... I don't see how that would work. The whole point of the game (in the regular single-player mode) is that the red train doesn't change the tracks itself. It is via the changes made to the tracks by the player that the red train can catch up to the player's train, hence the unique "puzzle" element of the game. In a two-player versus mode, if both players can change the track junctions, then it becomes very easy for the red train to corner the yellow train.

On the other hand, if the goal of the two-player mode was simply to collect more passengers than the other player, with both players avoiding collisions at all cost (both players would suffer penalties from colliding with each other), then that could indeed be a fun way to play. :) You just start both players at the very bottom of the screen (perhaps with one or two trailing wagons, just to add to the difficulty of avoiding collisions) with the red train moving west and the yellow train moving east, and the player who collects the most passengers wins the round. Yep, that would definately be fun. :D

On the other hand, if the goal of the two-player mode was simply to collect more passengers than the other player, with both players avoiding collisions at all cost (both players would suffer penalties from colliding with each other), then that could indeed be a fun way to play. You just start both players at the very bottom of the screen (perhaps with one or two trailing wagons, just to add to the difficulty of avoiding collisions) with the red train moving west and the yellow train moving east, and the player who collects the most passengers wins the round. Yep, that would definately be fun.

That's the kind of idea i had in mind.

And if the number of trailing wagons increase depending on number of passager you collected , you could may be add in addition a gameplay "à la" tron's cyles or Nibble (not sure of the name of that game, it is the game with a snake that eats apples and grow).

On the other hand, if the goal of the two-player mode was simply to collect more passengers than the other player, with both players avoiding collisions at all cost (both players would suffer penalties from colliding with each other), then that could indeed be a fun way to play. You just start both players at the very bottom of the screen (perhaps with one or two trailing wagons, just to add to the difficulty of avoiding collisions) with the red train moving west and the yellow train moving east, and the player who collects the most passengers wins the round. Yep, that would definately be fun.

That's the kind of idea i had in mind.

And if the number of trailing wagons increase depending on number of passager you collected , you could may be add in addition a gameplay "à la" tron's cyles or Nibble (not sure of the name of that game, it is the game with a snake that eats apples and grow).

You mean Nibbler. :) Yeah, I guess you could apply several good ideas to the two-player concept. Depends on how much free space there is in the cartridge ROM to implement these ideas... and also if RKGames is willing to try implementing them to begin with. I get the feeling he's aching to finish this project and move on to another one. ;)

Edited by Pixelboy

Um... I don't see how that would work. The whole point of the game (in the regular single-player mode) is that the red train doesn't change the tracks itself. It is via the changes made to the tracks by the player that the red train can catch up to the player's train, hence the unique "puzzle" element of the game. In a two-player versus mode, if both players can change the track junctions, then it becomes very easy for the red train to corner the yellow train.

Sorry to correct you Pixelboy, but the enemy train does change tracks on it's own. The fact the it does change tracks on it's own makes the arcade version SUPER DIFFICULT....almost unplayable after the first screen.

Edited by Yurkie