IGNORED

Lookee what I bought

Arkhan

Its in really great shape. The art is all pretty reasonable, and its got typical "slid around the arcade floor when moved" wear along the bottom. The locks in back were cut out (probably because the arcade didn't give private buyer a key...).

The top is in nice shape. The stuff sticking up in the photo is just tape I used to hold the power cord out of my way as I slid it down the steps.

Only cost 900 money. Plays great, though I still suck at the tank level.

• Like 1

Great buy!!! One of the many coin ops that I want to buy. Whats your highest level so far?

Considering the knob is kinda dodgy right now so aiming the tank turrent is sporadic, I haven't gotten past Fortran.

I need to figure out how to clean the knob up. It's really jittery when you try to rotate. It'll literally go from like facing right, to facing left and behind you, when all you wanted to do was rotate it just a bit.

Can I just pop the knob off and clean the contacts, or is there more to it? :D

I see a little release button to take the knob off, but I want to ask someone with more expertise before I break my 900$ new toy.

I love the MCP cone level. Its way more fun this way than in MAME.

The noises it makes kinda make me happy in the pants. XD

I need to figure out how to clean the knob up. It's really jittery when you try to rotate. It'll literally go from like facing right, to facing left and behind you, when all you wanted to do was rotate it just a bit.

I see a little release button to take the knob off, but I want to ask someone with more expertise before I break my 900$ new toy.

This is supposedly a common symptom with Tron's spinner optical sensor going bad (and needing a replacement installed). Take a look at the bottom of this page and the top of the next (reverse order tho since the posts start at the latest):

http://www.jeffsgames.com/archives/category/arcade-games/tron/

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 1

This is supposedly a common symptom with Tron's spinner optical sensor going bad (and needing a replacement installed). Take a look at the bottom of this page and the top of the next (reverse order tho since the posts start at the latest):

http://www.jeffsgames.com/archives/category/arcade-games/tron/

Ah christ, that looks like alot of work. Maybe I will just get good at playing with a dopey spinner.

That guy went all out with restoring the cabinet. I prefer the slightly weathered look of mine.

I'll have to see how tricky it is to get the front panel off and get at the spinner part.

Thanks for the link :D

I have a perfectly working spare for sale if you need one Arkhan. PM for details...

post-13896-129625624454_thumb.jpg

Well shit, when you make it so easy!

Yeah, I agree it is much easier to just replace it with a working one then to repair the old one. You can likely sell the semi-broken one as well to recover some of the costs. Nice Tron though, perfect timing to own one with the movie/etc.. going on right now. I passed on a decnt one for $600 about 2 years ago thinking I would find a cheaper one, ha ha, good luck on that. I should have pounced when I had the chance...oh well. Seriously though, while the gameplay on Tron is okay what really makes the package is all those lit up marquees in a nice dark room. I could just stare at it for hours if it was in my basement :)

Yeah, I agree it is much easier to just replace it with a working one then to repair the old one. You can likely sell the semi-broken one as well to recover some of the costs. Nice Tron though, perfect timing to own one with the movie/etc.. going on right now. I passed on a decnt one for $600 about 2 years ago thinking I would find a cheaper one, ha ha, good luck on that. I should have pounced when I had the chance...oh well. Seriously though, while the gameplay on Tron is okay what really makes the package is all those lit up marquees in a nice dark room. I could just stare at it for hours if it was in my basement :)

Once i have the new one put in, I can figure out/work on repairing the old one. Spares are nice!

At least this cab has wheels and a handle built in.

Getting the neo-geo down the steps almost killed me.

It'd be a good idea to keep a couple of spares anyway, since this is such a common issue for Tron (and while Arrow has sensors available for a few bucks each). I wonder what causes the original sensor to crack so often?

Combination of cheap/brittle plastic and vibration. Used to be that the sensors' four solder joints just needed to be touched up and she'd be fine after that, but it appears that with time, the sensors dry out and become more brittle. They're breaking internally now. Inevitably heating 'em up with your soldering iron probably hastens the brittleness factor. No doubt many of these were subjected to cigarrette smoke and improper storage throughout the years too. The replacements aren't much better either as they like to go to pot for no good reason other than what I'd chalk up to shoddy manufacturing today.

Well that sucks.

Nix the stocking up idea, then.

Funny coincidence... I just got through repairing one on a ticket dispenser. While not a TRON spinner, pretty much the same concept (counts the holes in tickets as they pass through). What had happened, was that the two sensor diodes inside its plastic case broke free and were loose, causing erratic data counts. And I don't mean loose electrically, physically rather. Not being a fan of silicone or hot glue, was just as easy (and a helluva lot less messy) to desolder the bad boy and just replace him.

I have a perfectly working spare for sale if you need one Arkhan. This way, you wouldn't have to bugger with desoldering and tracking down an optic sensor. PM for details...

post-13896-129625624454_thumb.jpg

You are hardcore! Anybody who would have a spare like that is hardcore arcade. Bravo!

• Like 2

Pfsht, Im back.

Got the knob all situated...

too bad the original power board is missing, as we've figured out... and was replaced with a power supply

so, no high score saving. :(

That needs fixed.

does anyone know the rules on Continuing in Tron?

my friend and I were trying to figure it out. Does it stop letting you continue once you reach FORTRAN or something?

Continues are sometimes determined by a dipswitch setting, but in this case, you have to go into the games programming and set from there. It's called a 'buy in' on this particular machine though. No battery too means you need to set whatever feature you want changed every single time you turn the machine on. Course, you could always just leave power going to the CPU board and route the switch to just turn off the monitor and lamps. lol

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/T/Tron.pdf

BTW: you might want to become a member of KLOVS forums... someone there might be able to mod your board the way we were discussing, by adding a couple of AA's for you...